So my company issued me a 8330 and I am enjoying getting to use it. It says it is on the Qualcomm 3G network, is this the same as Verizon?

If so I am going to assume the GPS is off and I have also turn off my GPS location option, but I still have the "gun scope" icon on my desk top?

Thanks and looking forward to learning more on here.

Joe
    09-13-09 10:17 PM
    Well if it is a verizon bb then yes it is the same and you are on the vzw network, oh and just so you know if you see 1XEV its the same as 3G. Qaulcom is the chipset that it has inside.
    09-13-09 10:19 PM
    So my company issued me a 8330 and I am enjoying getting to use it. It says it is on the Qualcomm 3G network, is this the same as Verizon?

If so I am going to assume the GPS is off and I have also turn off my GPS location option, but I still have the "gun scope" icon on my desk top?

Thanks and looking forward to learning more on here.

Joe
    If you are on Verizon and running OS 4.5, the internal GPS will work with BBMaps and VZNav. You'll always have the gun sight icon because the GPS is also on in 911 mode.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 10:23 PM
    Thanks so much for the quick reply's. Makes sense now since I couldn't figure out how I didn't have GPS on, yet the gun site was still there on the screen.

I initially thought my company was attempting to track me (I'm an outside sales Rep). But I understand Verizon doesn't activate the GPS. Is that correct?

Thanks again.
    09-14-09 08:32 AM
    If you are on BES, you'd have to ask your BES admins to be sure. BES admins can do almost anything to your phone, and I can't be certain that there is not a tracking capability built into BES that will use the internal GPS. One clue would be if you can turn off Location Based Services. If that is not locked by an IT policy, then most likely your employer is not tracking your device. If there is a small red padlock by the Location Based Services option, then they probably are tracking you, or at least have the capability to do so.
    09-14-09 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD