I have a friend from Ukraine who will be here in the US for about a month. He wants to use a prepaid sim data only card for internet access while he is here. His BB 8900 curve is unlocked. Where is the best place to purchase such a card and is there any other necessary settings that need to be change when he inserts it, or will the internet access work with the card 'out of the box'. Any and all help much appreciated as I have no experience with this.
    08-31-09 10:52 AM
    the card needs to be activated even if its going to be pre paid. But his minutes will be eating up if he uses the web. Best for texting and calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 01:13 PM
    Brollic
    Does this mean you are unwilling to answer the questions I asked or are you just trying to keep him from doing it, because your answer does not answer my questions and is really unhelpful in the long run.
    08-31-09 01:37 PM
    Brollic
    Does this mean you are unwilling to answer the questions I asked or are you just trying to keep him from doing it, because your answer does not answer my questions and is really unhelpful in the long run.
    That kind of attitude is not going to help you out here. I have not purchased a pre-paid SIM for data personally but I believe all carriers offer it. Just pick a GSM carrier and get one. I would suggest that he use the WiFi for dat ewhile he is here as another option. You may also consider searching the forums for quicker replies as this topic has been covered plenty of times previously.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 02:23 PM
    Mr. Aristile
    I do apologize for the 'attitude' in my writing. It's just that I have been trying to get this answered all over the internet for about a week now and my friend arrives tomorrow. I have looked on this site (and many others) for other posts but none of them answers my questions. And all the replies seem to be the same: "pick a card and go, but I would suggest he do this...". It seems no one is actually interested in answering the TWO questions I put forth. 1. Where is the BEST place to get a pre-paid sim data only card. 2. And once I have one of these cards, is there anything else that needs to be done to the blackberry to make it work, or will the card work out of the box without any further modifications to the blackberry or it's settings? I am frustrated that I seem to get more opinion about what he should do rather than answering the questions I NEED answered. And again, I do apologize if this is 'attitude' in this writing, but to be perfectly blunt and honest, nice hasn't gotten me anywhere. But I do thank you for your reply.
    08-31-09 02:41 PM
    Mr. Aristile
    I do apologize for the 'attitude' in my writing. It's just that I have been trying to get this answered all over the internet for about a week now and my friend arrives tomorrow. I have looked on this site (and many others) for other posts but none of them answers my questions. And all the replies seem to be the same: "pick a card and go, but I would suggest he do this...". It seems no one is actually interested in answering the TWO questions I put forth. 1. Where is the BEST place to get a pre-paid sim data only card. 2. And once I have one of these cards, is there anything else that needs to be done to the blackberry to make it work, or will the card work out of the box without any further modifications to the blackberry or it's settings? I am frustrated that I seem to get more opinion about what he should do rather than answering the questions I NEED answered. And again, I do apologize if this is 'attitude' in this writing, but to be perfectly blunt and honest, nice hasn't gotten me anywhere. But I do thank you for your reply.
    Some of this is gong to be carrier and region specific.

Finding the "best" one is a matter of doing the leg work in your local area and finding the best deal. People on these forums are from all over so you are going to find a whole array of answers, none of which might even apply to you.

Just place a few calls to the big carriers in your area, explain what you want and go from there. They will be more than happy to help get you a good plan and take your money.
    08-31-09 02:46 PM
    Hmmm. With a corrected attitude, you might try this.

Get an at&t Go Phone ($25 for their cheapest phone - you will HAVE to buy this) and then get a $20 feature package that will give your friend 100Mb. You may find that you have to buy $15 of call minutes too.

Any at&t store or their help line will fix you up.

I know this works 'cuz I did it last time I was over. They will tell you that the BlackBerry is not supported but it works fine.
    08-31-09 03:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD