I'm referring to this article in 2008; "How to Free Up Memory on your BlackBerry Smartphone"

The topic to this was closed, so this is why I posted the thread. (old topic; "How to Increase BlackBerry's File free memory"

This worked perfectly on my Curve 8320 on my desktop PC at home (windows xp).

But for my girlfriends curve 8300, on my laptop (windows vista), I did everything step by step but nothing is gone. Nothing was removed from her phone. It's all still there. The "About" in the options is there, voice dialing, themes, everything!

Whats going on and how can I fix this?
    04-11-10 02:10 AM
    Why do you want to remove the About screen? Its the system info. Actually, I don't think you could remove it. I don't know which software you used but You can try 'maxmem/crackmem' to remove voice dialling, themes etc...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-10 04:02 AM
    I created the original Memory Optimization Procedue when the Curve 64 Mb with v4.2xx was state of the art.

Many of the memory issues were dealt with the upgrade to v4.5xx OS. The upgrade eliminated the Sample Video and Audio files, leaving the Background images as the last remaining sample option for removal.

I assume the OP upgraded to v4.5xx, that would explain the lack of changes, they have been removed at the source.

The About screen is a special case. It is linked to Voice Activated Dialing. Removing VAD also removes the About screen. That is common with many of the "core" applications, removing something has consequences in other areas.

It is a pity that thread, and many others, had to be locked down. The reason is, those very popular threads are a magnet for SPAM. The SPAMers try to conceal their advertising in popular thread, assuming they will go unnoticed by Moderators but still catch enough eyes to make a profit.

What they don't realize is, I have that thread subscribed and I respond to all new posts, often catching the SPAM in seconds.

04-11-10 09:08 AM
    I removed voice dialing. I removed everything that was listed in the article, plus some.

BUT IT'S ALL STILL ON THE PHONE. Voice dialing, about page, themes, everything bro. How can I remove it from the phone??

It has nothing to do with the OS. Because on my Curve 8320, I had upgraded to 4.5.xx, and I followed the article, and it worked. This was on my desktop PC. (windows XP if it matters) Everything was removed. Themes, voice dialing, about page, ALL OF IT.

But with my girlfriends curve 8300, I followed the article (just like I did a while back with my 8320) and it didn't remove anything. It's all still on her 8300, themes voice dialing, about page, ALL OF IT. This was on my HP notebook (windows vista if that matters).

So my question is, how can I remove all of this from the 8300 like it states in the article?

I appreciate your time Reed McLay, but can you keep my thread on topic? All you did was discuss about your article/thread that was locked, and didn't help me to resolve my issue on how to get everything removed from the 8300.
    Last edited by richw420; 04-11-10 at 07:03 PM.
    04-11-10 06:58 PM
    I removed voice dialing. I removed everything that was listed in the article, plus some.

BUT IT'S ALL STILL ON THE PHONE. Voice dialing, about page, themes, everything bro. How can I remove it from the phone??
    How did you remove Voice Dialing?

Are you using MaxMem or are you using the instruction in the Advanced section?
    04-11-10 07:00 PM
    Did you run the app loader? Did the phone then reboot?
    04-11-10 07:02 PM
    How did you remove Voice Dialing?

Are you using MaxMem or are you using the instruction in the Advanced section?
    I followed the article (first link in first post), so yes the advanced section. That didn't work, so I tried MaxMem. Still didn't work.

Did you run the app loader? Did the phone then reboot?
    Yes sir, and the phone did reboot.

I don't even want to plug in my Curve 8320 cause I'm afraid that all the stuff I removed from it (on my desktop PC) will be put back on because the issue I'm having now with the 8300. =[
    04-11-10 07:17 PM
    There is no risk, as long as the two devices are different. You can have multiple device OS installs.

yes the advanced section. ...
    Go back and double check the .../loader files/8300-xxxx/Java directory for:

Net_rim_vad.cod

If it is still there, remove it and try again.

04-11-10 08:12 PM
    Removing net_rim_vad.cod what remove the themes, or the other things I tried to remove. If it didn't remove any of the things on the phone that I removed in the ".../Java/" folder, what makes you think removing that one file is going to solve this whole problem?

Both devices have the same OS, and they are nearly the same models, 8300 and a 8320.

I'll let you know what happens when I remove Net_rim_vad.cod
    04-11-10 08:27 PM
    Everything is still there after I removed net_rim_vad.cod
    04-11-10 08:41 PM
    That is Voice Activated Dialing.

Everything is still there after I removed net_rim_vad.cod
    ... and you re-ran Applications Loader? It should detect the mismatch and remove it from your BlackBerry.

they are nearly the same models, 8300 and a 8320 ...
    Not as far as Application Loader is concerned, they are totaly different and not interchangable at all.

Theme have a file type of:

net_rim_theme_bbdimension_icon_240x260_b.cod

There are four of them, if you remove them all your BlackBerry will look like a 15 year old, Black and White Newton/Palm III.
    04-11-10 08:44 PM
    That is Voice Activated Dialing.

Not as far as Application Loader is concerned, they are totaly different and not interchangable at all.

Theme have a file type of:

net_rim_theme_bbdimension_icon_240x260_b.cod

There are four of them, if you remove them all your BlackBerry will look like a 15 year old, Black and White Newton/Palm III.

Like I said, I did all of this successfully on my Curve 8320 (twice actually) on my desktop PC. With no problems at all. So I kind of know what and what not to delete.

But, with my g/f's 8300 and my hp notebook, I can't seem to get anything removed from it.

I know first hand about the theme problem when you delete the wrong ones, because I had that problem the very first time I tried it with my 8320.

But back on topic. What is going on, how come all these files I am removing are not being removed from the 8300?
    04-11-10 08:47 PM
    What happens when you run Applications Loader?

Do you see BlackBerry System Software as the first entry?

If not, you are not seeing the OS software. Best guess, a mismatched vendor.xml file is present in the .../apploader directory.

If so, good question, I don't have a good answer.
    04-11-10 08:57 PM
    Vendor.xml is not in the apploader directoy, that was the first step. I don't know why I keep going over this, but I did every step correctly.
    04-11-10 08:59 PM
    I looked back over the thread and I don't see what version of DM you are using. Versions newer than 4.6 will put vendor.xml as a hidden file in other locations on your PC. Make sure you have Windows set to show hidden files, then use the search function to see if there are other copies of vendor.xml anywhere in your system.
    04-11-10 09:07 PM
    I looked back over the thread and I don't see what version of DM you are using. Versions newer than 4.6 will put vendor.xml as a hidden file in other locations on your PC. Make sure you have Windows set to show hidden files, then use the search function to see if there are other copies of vendor.xml anywhere in your system.

As I said in the post above. The first step in the article is to remove vendor.xml, and I indeed removed that file.

I always set to show hidden files. Every time I reformat or get a new PC, that's one of the first things I do.
    04-11-10 09:09 PM
    What happens when you run Applications Loader?

Do you see BlackBerry System Software as the first entry?...
    You never answered this part of Reed's last post. Does the App Loader see the OS? And further, when you look in the Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features, do you see the BlackBerry OS installed on your PC?
    04-11-10 09:15 PM
    You never answered this part of Reed's last post. Does the App Loader see the OS? And further, when you look in the Control Panel, Programs, Programs and Features, do you see the BlackBerry OS installed on your PC?
    first "task in progress" window

Read application configuration
    Read device system configuration
    Read device service information
    When it finishes with the 'status' for "Completed", then it shows the next "task in progress" window

Searching for avaialable device software
    Under "status" they all finish with "Completed"

Control Panel;
    BlackBerry Desktop Software 5.0.1
    BlackBerry Device Software Updater
    BlackBerry Device Software v4.5.0 for the BlackBerry 8320 smartphone

For "BlackBerry Device Software v4.5.0 for the BlackBerry 8320 smartphone" it says "8320", my girlfriends phone is the 8300, but on the T-Mobile website to download the closet to the 8300 is the 8320. I don't know if this matters or anything?
    04-11-10 09:25 PM
    Yes, it matters.

they are totaly different and not interchangable at all.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/new...nguage-425916/
    04-11-10 09:28 PM
    This says "UK". What is the difference? I'm in the US.
    04-11-10 09:30 PM
    Control Panel;
    BlackBerry Desktop Software 5.0.1
    BlackBerry Device Software Updater
    BlackBerry Device Software v4.5.0 for the BlackBerry 8320 smartphone

For "BlackBerry Device Software v4.5.0 for the BlackBerry 8320 smartphone" it says "8320", my girlfriends phone is the 8300, but on the T-Mobile website to download the closet to the 8300 is the 8320. I don't know if this matters or anything?
    Yes, that matters. That's what Reed told you earlier. The 8300 and the 8320 are not equivalent and being close is not correct. You have to load the exactly matching OS version. You don't have the 8300 OS installed on your PC, therefore the App Loader cannot use it to remove modules from your device. Once you have downloaded and installed the 8300 OS, try the procedure again.
    04-11-10 09:30 PM
    The 8300 OS is not on the T-Mobile website. So I don't know where to get it. Reed just posted an OS, but it says UK, and I'm waiting for his response to see if it's ok to use even though I'm in the US.
    04-11-10 09:34 PM
    Yes, that will solve your problem.

All distribution packages are identical, your internal device branding will sort it out.

04-11-10 09:41 PM
    Thanks guys
    04-11-10 09:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD