just bought BB 8330m and i would like to know if is something for the problem on the google map version issue yet. My location on the map is not at the right place. HELP!!!

Thanks,
    06-06-09 07:58 PM
    What do you mean by "not at the right place"?

Google Maps typically uses tower triangulation so the position is typically within 1000 - 2500 feet.
    06-06-09 08:52 PM
    I don't think it's something that can be fixed. I have Google Maps on my 8320 and it has never located me at my exact location. It is always off by a little bit. For example, I'm at home while Google Maps has me located at the shopping center across the street from my neighborhood.

You can manually choose your location if it not telling you exactly where you are is really a problem for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-09 08:57 PM
    It should be working fine without any problem. my wife have a BB Pearl and it work great, I had before the BB 8800 and also work great. and with this model is way far from my spot.

Thanks,
    06-06-09 09:02 PM
    yea mines is about 5 blocks off. BB maps seems to be more accurate
    06-06-09 09:08 PM
    You don't want big brother to know exactly where you are do you?
    A few blocks off can give you a little headstart if you ever have to start running.

06-06-09 09:12 PM
    yea mines is about 5 blocks off. BB maps seems to be more accurate
    GPS accuracy depends on quality and speed of connection. The size of bigger transparent blue circle around the blue dot or "my location" shows your accuracy circle. You are somewhere in that larger circle but not necessarily on the smaller dot.

The accuracy circle size (diameter) grows and shrinks with signal strength and 3G connection type. On EVDO for example 1XEV will be your best accuracy and 1X your worst. I see it range from 10-12m with 5 bar 1XEV at my work all the way out to 3700m at my remote mountain home with a 0 bar 1X connection. But I'm still posting.

06-06-09 09:29 PM
    I need my GPS to be accurate since I do hiking. I read about problems with this model but I hope we can get an upgrade soon.

Thanks,
    06-06-09 09:32 PM
    I need my GPS to be accurate since I do hiking. I read about problems with this model but I hope we can get an upgrade soon.

Thanks,
    I just use my phone gps for car, travel and around town. My Garmin GPSMap 60 CSX is what I use for mountain bike, ski, hike, and hunt. It's got the SiRF III chip I think it is. I think these phones have the same chip maybe just version II. That defines it's accuracy capability but it's also got a way better GPS receiver for better remote accuracy.

I tested them side by side on my last hunt. The phone lost big time. With the Garmin I confidently left my backpack in the woods and geocached my way back to my way point and there it was 10 feet away. This phone can't do that I tried. But if you just need to save a track to mark a trail head it should work fine on clear sunny days.

I had it before I got this phone. I really didn't need two but it's the best handheld outdoor GPS you'll find. Works great.

06-06-09 09:54 PM
    This is an issue with the way that Google Maps polls the internal GPS receiver on the 8330. There's nothing really that you can do about it other than use another application.

BBMaps works great with the GPS chip. I frequently use both BBMaps and Google Maps at the same time.

But for full-time GPS use, I would recommend a real GPS unit. The GPS chip on the Curve is not as strong as the one on, for example, a Garmin. It is much more prove to lose the GPS lock. It's not an accuracy issue, though. The GPS receiver is accurate on the Curve.
    06-06-09 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD