Hi All,

As the resident tech guy in my org, one of our executives dropped his almost new (3.5 weeks old) BB Curve 8330 on my desk to "do my thing" to fix BES. We use a hosted Exchange service and BES stopped working for him about 2 weeks ago.

Anyways, I discovered the USB port on the BB is not working. Plugging the AC adapter in gives a charging status; however, doing the same to a USB cable to the PC does nothing.

I know the cable is good, and the BB Desktop Manager (v4.3) is working as my BB Curve 8310 is recognized. I even took one of our other executive's BB 8330 and connects. So, the problem is with the BB USB port.

I just came back from the service provider (Bell Mobility) and they have ordered a replacement BB for me; however, my problem is now this -- how do I get the data off the darn thing without a USB or BES connection?

I am not concern with 3rd party apps as they can all be reinstalled. My exec has an unlimited data plan, so going OTA is not an issue.

Can anyone help? Someone mentioned to me about "PIM Backup", but I haven't found a BB version of this utility allowing to backup to an SD card.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Kent
    06-24-08 01:47 PM
    Only way to sync OTA is with BES.
    06-24-08 01:59 PM
    There are specilaist repair shops that will replace the USB connector - if it's that. A Google search for Blackberry hardware repair should help.
    06-24-08 02:02 PM
    Humm... BlackBerry goes to a lot of trouble to make sure outsiders stay out, that includes the support staff.

Turn on Bluetooth on your PC/Laptop, turn on Bluetooth on the Phone. Pair the two together. Then go into Connections in Desktop Manager and tell it to use Bluetooth instead of USB.

Obviously if you don't have Bluetooth capabilities on your PC/Laptop you're out of luck. If you use a Mac... (I won't say anything).
    06-24-08 02:04 PM
    Humm... BlackBerry goes to a lot of trouble to make sure outsiders stay out, that includes the support staff.

I know about Bluetooth and do have it on my laptop; however, I noticed that Bluetooth services "Desktop Connectivity" and "Wireless Bypass" doesn't show up on my exec's 8330 (most likely a BES thing--maybe??). In any event, my 8310 (not on BES) does have those Bluetooth services and my laptop can "see" my BB but not my exec's.

I haven't researched this one yet, but I did consider BT connection as an alternative.
    06-24-08 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD