This isn't so much of a review as it is a comparison between my new Curve and the last phone I had, an HTC Touch. This is also only my first few days with the device so I'm sure some of the things I'm complaining about can probably be fixed by changing some settings I haven't learned yet or with some 3rd party software I haven't yet discovered.

Texting:
    I'm an avid texter and after using a WinMo device, and a Palm device previously, I became attached to threaded text messaging. The convenience of having all of the conversation in one "window" instead of filling up your inbox was definitely a plus. This not being the case with the Curve, it's a little bit more work to keep track of a conversation. I've also noticed replying to some messages is a little tougher (a lot of the time I'll be clicking on the other person's recently reply and all I get is a "forward" option). On the same note, if you're in an older message and they reply, you have to back out of the message to see what they said (and this happens a lot, and if they say something that already answers your question, its annoying).
    On the other hand, the other messaging applications, such as the BlackBerry Messenger, AIM, etc, are much better than any of the messaging apps on WinMo or PalmOS. I just don't know enough people with BBs to make up for the lack of threaded texting (why is this not a basic feature?).

Physical layout:
    Having an actual physical keyboard is just better than not having one on the Touch no matter which way you look at it. I thought the touchscreen would be an advantage for a lot of things but all it did was create more work most of the time.

Software:
    It's a tossup, but the basic tasks are much easier on a BB, having everything on the front screen like that instead of having start menus to comb through. I've noticed already that the BB will randomly get sluggish for no reason. Volume/setting ringers on the WinMo was definitely a lot easier as well, although once I actually go through my Curve and get all the different profiles just the way I like them, I'm sure I'll like it more than the WinMo. Another complaint is the Vib+Ring doesn't do it at the same time; I downloaded BuzzMe and it's alright, but when I had it on Silent it still vibrated when a call came in. Why isn't this a basic feature as well?

Managing/admin:
    It seems like it was a lot easier to manage programs and the phone itself on WinMo; i.e. killing programs running in the background. Options/settings on both phones are probably about on par. Downloading/installing apps is much easier on the BB than on my WinMo and PalmOS.

Browsing/internet:
    Not bad, I still have to play around with some 3rd party browsers to find one I like. Skyfire on WinMo was definitely the best mobile browser I've ever used.

I'm sure I'll think of more as I get into the device over the next few weeks but these are my first impressions. If anyone knows of any tips, tricks, software, etc that might solve some of my issues, let me know!
    02-11-09 11:41 AM
    To get your blackberry more like threaded text go to options-sms-and change the number of previous entries to a higher number.

To close background apps- hold alt and press back

Other internet browsers you could use are opera mini and bolt..

Me personally i have had WinMo and absolutely hate it. The blackberry is a better built, better OS, and the internet to me is so much better.. But that IMO
    02-11-09 12:05 PM
    I had the Samsung BlackJack I & II before I moved to the BlackBerry. I don't miss the threaded SMS just becuase I don't have the memory of a goldfish, so I can remember where I usually left off in a conversation.
    I have never had a problem with only getting the Forward option when replying to a message.
    BuzzMe has worked flawlessly for me. If I put my phone on silent I don't get any vibrate functions.
    For internet I stick to the Opera Mini browser exclusively, but I must admit that that was a habit I couldn't break from back when I was using the WinMo Java.
    Personally I have Dial from homescreen turned off. I like to take advantage of all the shortcuts that the BlackBerry uses. It saves a lot of time in my opinion, and I am rarely hitting the menu button to go to all my apps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 12:36 PM
    To close background apps- hold alt and press back
    Does that really work?! Is it like the equivalence of a battery pull???? Thank you so much, I never knew this!
    02-11-09 01:06 PM
    No its not like a battery pull, it just closes apps.. If you want to have something like a battery pull without actually having to do a battery pull i would download a free app called quickpull
    02-11-09 01:08 PM
    02-11-09 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD