I have been lurking in the shadows too long, searching for just my precious...

Sometime ago i read someplace here that it is possible to get GPRS/EDGE data without getting a BIS/BES account on blackberry...

(yeah, call me cheap but thats how i like it.. no strings attached!)

Just managed to get my hands on one of them elusive cellphones. Its a Curve 8900. Just got it used from O2, unlocked it, wiped it and browser is getting edge data without a hitch :-)

Just installed google app for blackberry and it is working.. i know some apps do need BIS/BES service book entries but i hope to get them working soon too.
    07-07-10 01:46 AM
    Whats the point of a BB without a data plan!. There are many better looking phones and many more better O/s's than BB's.

Anyways, you wont get push emails without a BIS plan. If you subscribe to a regular GPRS plan, you can browse and use all web based apps ( Gmail app.,etc) but no BBM or push mail.
    07-07-10 02:01 AM
    Welcome aboard! Enjoy your 8900.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-10 02:25 AM
    Welcome aboard! Enjoy your 8900.

Thanks. I am having fun =)

07-07-10 08:17 AM
    Not bad..

But arent limited only to where theres wifi only, right?
    07-07-10 09:56 AM
    Now you can consider yourself a BlackBerry user

Welcome Aboard !
    07-07-10 10:51 AM
    Not bad..

But arent limited only to where theres wifi only, right?
    I found this one so i could use unlimited EDGE plan and not use BIS, wifi connections works for data too.

i dont need the BBM and push mail.
    07-08-10 01:46 PM
    Congrats!!!
    07-12-10 05:32 AM
    Welcome aboard! I too started off with thoughts about BB and no BIS, but I changed my mind. At least you were able to sate your need...for now.
    07-12-10 11:12 AM
    Welcome aboard! I too started off with thoughts about BB and no BIS, but I changed my mind. At least you were able to sate your need...for now.
    I have been a old time Motorola L7i and V3 user. But since then have moved to 7290 > 8830 > 8310 > 8900.

loving it since getting my first BB. :-)
    07-14-10 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD