Ok guys,

I have some quick questions. Last night I was getting this error message and tried plugging it in to use the Desktop Manager to correct the error. Long story short, I kept putting in the wrong password b/c I didn't realize that password I put in my phone, let's say for example 4444 in actuality is GGGG.
    So currently I have one attempt left:

1) Is there anyway I can reboot it so it can go back to zero attempts? What if I leave it idle for 24 hours or something?

2) If I call Tmobile or RIM would they be able to help me?

3) If I do put in the incorrect password again, what exactly will it wipe off the device? Will it wipe out all the numbers? I'm assuming at least the phone numbers on the SIM card stay right?

This is my 1st Blackberry and I've never backed it up before, I realize how important that is now. Thank you for the help.
    09-08-09 09:21 AM
    Sorry, yer sorta scrude friend. TMO or RIM cannot do anything for you.

It will wipe EVERYTHING.

Memory card is safe though.
    09-08-09 09:26 AM
    Hope you have a current backup, that's the only thing that will save you now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-09 09:27 AM
    It wipes the SIM card too?????????? That can't be, I'll just take the SIM card out.
    09-08-09 09:28 AM
    Correct it will not wipe the SIM.
    09-08-09 09:30 AM
    so if you realize what you were doing wrong, doesn't that mean you know what your password is now? if so just put in the right password and you're okay. otherwise if you don't, it's going to literally set it back to out of factory settings. i had to even get my phone set back up on my wireless network.
    good luck!
    09-08-09 09:33 AM
    so if you realize what you were doing wrong, doesn't that mean you know what your password is now? if so just put in the right password and you're okay. otherwise if you don't, it's going to literally set it back to out of factory settings. i had to even get my phone set back up on my wireless network.
    good luck!
    It's best to stay out of these conversations, or just post the facts. We have no way of telling if the person is truly legit or not. "Forgotten" passwords is nothing but gray zone.
    09-08-09 09:49 AM
    B/c I'm too scared to do it and I'm not 100% sure. Here's basically what happened:

I have set my phone for 8 attempts. When I plugged in the phone to use on Desktop Manager I put in the wrong password 6 times. Then I did it once on the actual phone and I pressed alt to get the numbers since I THOUGHT I had a 4 digit numberical pin. But after doing a lot of research on here, I realized what my error was and why it was wrong 7 times.

That's because when you put your password in and have a 4 digit pin, let's use 4444 for example, 4444 is not your actual password but the password is GGGG which I had never realized till now and why I've always had problems with Desktop Manager detecting my device.

I hope that makes sense. I willy try putting the "GGGG" in and hopefully that works.
    09-08-09 09:50 AM
    Biting nails, watching Springer....tell us what happened....
    09-08-09 09:52 AM
    Biting nails, watching Springer....tell us what happened....
    Ah, reality TV, so much better than Survivor or my last family reunion. Which by the way was pretty much the same thing except I was living it.
    09-08-09 09:59 AM
    It's best to stay out of these conversations, or just post the facts. We have no way of telling if the person is truly legit or not. "Forgotten" passwords is nothing but gray zone.
    i just don't understand how what i said would help someone, who could possibly have a stolen phone, get into said stolen phone. (if that's what you're trying to get at..)
    i'm just questions why if the OP states that they figured out what they were doing wrong with their password, why they didn't try to just type it in with said fix.
    guess we'll see when they come back.
    09-08-09 10:01 AM
    Who said the fone was stolen?

I can sniff those out too, I think this one is legit.
    09-08-09 10:26 AM
    Blanket policy, I wasn't saying it was stolen, just how I prefer to handle these.

All generalizations are incorrect. Oh, wait...
    09-08-09 10:28 AM
    just questioning to clarify. i see where you're coming from really. just wanted to see if i was understanding where you were coming from. d:
    09-08-09 10:41 AM
    just questioning to clarify. i see where you're coming from really. just wanted to see if i was understanding where you were coming from. d:
    No problems.

I am jaded from my job a little though. Sometimes I help with tech support when I'm not cranky and you can group people into two categories:

Honest. They call up and say "hey, I screwed up, I need a freebie". We say ok.

Not so honest: They give you a 15 minute back story, followed by how angry the customer is, followed by another diatribe on how nothing changed and they have no idea what's going on.

That's just an observation from here though.
    09-08-09 10:51 AM
    No problems.

I am jaded from my job a little though. Sometimes I help with tech support when I'm not cranky and you can group people into two categories:

Honest. They call up and say "hey, I screwed up, I need a freebie". We say ok.

Not so honest: They give you a 15 minute back story, followed by how angry the customer is, followed by another diatribe on how nothing changed and they have no idea what's going on.

That's just an observation from here though.
    I definitely understand that. Have done customer service/call center with tech support, jobs for 99% of my working life. The human race can be amazing, huh?
    09-08-09 11:10 AM
    Guys,

The phone is not stolen, just look me up my posts on my profile. I'm just getting to learn to my Blackberry and having this issue. I wll try it tonight and I'll let you know if it works.

If anyone does think of anything that can help me though please let me know.
    09-08-09 11:25 AM
    Guys,

The phone is not stolen, just look me up my posts on my profile. I'm just getting to learn to my Blackberry and having this issue. I wll try it tonight and I'll let you know if it works.

Sorry, wasn't pointing fingers, I was just making a generalization. As for what you can do, you can hope you have a current backup. These things are made for security and there's no real way of breaking into them or circumventing the password.

Minus shaving the chip but that's a whole other realm of data recovery.
    09-08-09 11:28 AM
    Guys,

No, you're okay. I never thought it was. I was just wondering why it was brought up that i should only mention facts. that's why stolen was even brought up. i hope you get it worked out. if you don't have any sort of backup, which i think i remember you stating in the op, you're going to have to start over from scratch.
    if what you're mostly worried about is phone numbers, i hope you atleast have another phone with them stored, that you can go off of. unfortunately waiting doesn't make the attempts go away.
    just really thing about it. if you know what numbers you were using as your password (or what you thought they were) just look at your phone, type in the corresponding letters to the numbers and i think you should be golden.
    i wish i had been so lucky. again, good luck and keep us updated!
    09-08-09 11:35 AM
    Anytime someone says anything about a forgotten password... it raises suspicions..... sorry!
    09-08-09 11:55 AM
    i guess at this point i don't concider it a forgotten password. though speaking from experience forgotten passwords do happen. it happened to me. disclaimer: don't ever change your password in a deathly tired and unstable emotional state. LOL.
    09-08-09 12:03 PM
    hahaha.... LOL sunshower!!!
    09-08-09 12:12 PM
    thank goodness for backups! (old backups but a backup none the less!) let this be your lesson to back up plenty. especially after you've had your phone for a while.
    09-08-09 12:14 PM
    I back up daily
    09-08-09 12:14 PM
    I back up daily
    Yep, me too.
    09-08-09 12:20 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD