hi all, long time lurker first time poster.
    just looking for a bit of insight really, there are a lot of passionate bb owners here but i cant help but feel a mixture of distaste and almost hatred towards my 8900.

i got it in september last year, by january it was beyond economic repair, i had trackball issues on a daily basis, browser was knackered, battery lasted a day at the most and loads of other things i cant remember. after a week and a half the repair centre said it would take too long to fix everything that was wrong with it and sent a refurb.

things are just as bad with this one, the browser barely works, well it says it is loading a page, my facebook notification page for example takes about 3 minutes to load, the battery if i am lucky lasts a day and a half (!!!!!) there are probably no apps at all on the app store that work without crashing the phone and the random switching itself off is tiresome now as well.

about a month after i got the phone i now refer to affectionatly as 'the doorstop' i saw some bb reps at a trade release of the last handsets, what an arrogant pair of idiots, they noticed i had my bb in my hand and they asked if i was going to upgrade to a new bb, and i said no i couldnt get rid of this one quickly enough, they then turned round and said it was a botched refurb and how great their 9700s were.

if anyone can advise how to fix my bb or give any clues as to why they are so great i would love to hear it
    06-08-10 11:23 AM
    I'm not going to suggest anything because I'm not going to try and defend the Berry. You need to decide if you want to keep it and learn it yourself. BlackBerry, like any device, is not for everyone. My GF didn't like BlackBerry but loves her android phone despite the issues that occasionally arise with it. IMHO all smartphones have issues or limitations of some sort that you'll either work through because you like it overall or drop it for something that matches your taste. The passionate Berry users you mention have counterparts across all the platforms.

So, it comes down to whether you like it overall or not.
    If you like it, and want to keep it, we're here for ya
    If not, try to find something you do like. There's not point in keeping something you hate with sooo many options available nowadays

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-10 11:43 AM
    it has potential to be a great phone, but there are so many bugs and annoyances that could be fixed.

if i could get the browser to work and the battery to last more than about 10 minutes then i would be much happier
    06-08-10 11:51 AM
    Well, not much can help the browser. BlackBerry's are well know for cruddy browsers Battery life sounds average for the 8900 and pretty close to what I experienced.
    If you want, you can try loading the latest 5.0 available here http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/ne...chison-473239/ and see if that changes your experience for the better.

06-08-10 12:07 PM
    hi all, long time lurker first time poster.
    just looking for a bit of insight really, there are a lot of passionate bb owners here but i cant help but feel a mixture of distaste and almost hatred towards my 8900.

i got it in september last year, by january it was beyond economic repair, i had trackball issues on a daily basis, browser was knackered, battery lasted a day at the most and loads of other things i cant remember. after a week and a half the repair centre said it would take too long to fix everything that was wrong with it and sent a refurb.

things are just as bad with this one, the browser barely works, well it says it is loading a page, my facebook notification page for example takes about 3 minutes to load, the battery if i am lucky lasts a day and a half (!!!!!) there are probably no apps at all on the app store that work without crashing the phone and the random switching itself off is tiresome now as well.

about a month after i got the phone i now refer to affectionatly as 'the doorstop' i saw some bb reps at a trade release of the last handsets, what an arrogant pair of idiots, they noticed i had my bb in my hand and they asked if i was going to upgrade to a new bb, and i said no i couldnt get rid of this one quickly enough, they then turned round and said it was a botched refurb and how great their 9700s were.

if anyone can advise how to fix my bb or give any clues as to why they are so great i would love to hear it
    Before scrapping the phone completely, I'd try a new os. The latest os 5 has been really good at conserving the battery but that also depends on how you use the phone. Also shut off/close any unused apps cos if you just press the end button, they'll still run in the background. Also a battery pull once a day will free up some memory so your apps respond a bit better and faster. After all has been said and done and it still does not perform well enough, you can then decide what to do from there. Hope that helps.

06-08-10 03:08 PM
    I've been using OS 5 for months without issue. Battery life is great. If I didn't recharge my phones overnight out of habit, I'd only charge the phone once every three days. I ran my Storm down to 20% in two days using GPS services heavily, but it -is- a more power-hungry beast, what with its gigantic screen.

Warranty on my 8900 expired last month, and the phone doesn't have so much as a worn key. For trackball issues, I recommend washing your hands frequently. Heck, that's just good practice anyway.
    06-08-10 03:16 PM
    I honestly think you might have gotten two crappy 8900's in a row. I've had my 8900 for about 5 or so months and I've never had a problem with it at all. I've recently upgraded to the 5.0 OS and it's even better than before. As was suggested, try upgrading your OS and see if it improves the software issues ... as for the hardware issues, like the trackball, you might look into a replacement ball for like 5 bucks or so at any cell phone parts store online - might be a crappy trackball you're working with. Slow load times and crappy browser might be fixed with the new updated OS, but no promises - worth a shot, though.
    06-09-10 03:50 AM
    I agree. Maybe you did get some crappy 8900s. I have an 8900 and I have 5.0.0.681 installed on mine and its great. My battery lasts for 2 days without me having to charge it,(I text, IM, BBM, place phone calls, calendar, etc) and I haven't had to pull my battery either. My browser is also pretty fast too. Just remember that yes it's a phone, but it is also a mini computer as well.

Give the new OS 5 a try, it may help you out wonderfully.
    06-09-10 10:49 AM
    Honestly, I think you've gotten two crappy 8900's in a row as well. I went through 4 in a month when I decided to upgrade my 8300 to the new 8900. I had all the issue's you had, random shut offs, freezes, bad trackballs. It's been a year since, and I am satisfied after four replacement bb's. My advise? If you have insurance, ask for another one and pay the deductable. Otherwise upgrade to an android or the iPhone...the blackberry browser still isn't anywhere near those two..in my opinion.
    06-09-10 09:31 PM
    To the OP, you are not going to find any other smartphone that has a battery that lasts longer than what you mentioned your BlackBerry does.

Smartphones are meant to be charged every night. iPhone and Android are not known for great battery life.
    06-09-10 09:36 PM
    blackberrys ftw!
    06-11-10 10:09 PM
    I've also had my 8900 for over a year and I've never had any issues with it, hardware or software. Running OS 5. Try upgrading the OS.
    06-11-10 10:19 PM
    I brush my teeth every night before going to bed. I plug my BB in as well.

The browser is pretty poor, I don't like Opera Mini. I use Bolt but don't really like it either, it is a lot faster than the BB browser though.

Other than that mine works great, always has. Got it in Feb of 2009.
    06-12-10 02:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD