So in Verizon today to maybe port my number back to my family plan on vzw and get a tour...

Played side by side with my new 8900 and tour...

Build quality is only a hair better on tour than 8900...I was dissapointed at the back door loose feel and the menu, phone keys etc feeling the exact same as my 8900..

Web surfing...Tour 3g v Edge 8900.....Maybe a split second difference in favor of the tour but not enough to explain the 3g hype...

I came from 8 months with a bold and went 8900 for the smaller phone and lack of 3g...Not as many dropped calls on 8900 v bold.

Wifi----was spoiled with bold being able to do both but WIFI IS A MUST...I can be on the phone at home, work or a hotspot and still browse web and reply to emails while on the phone without 3g...Insane that you cant do that on vzw....My web browsing was about the same as 3g tour on edge and with wifi it blows it away...

I actually decided t stay with my 8900 in its innocase 360 over getting a tour..

Feel the tour is the exact same as 8900 with a better keyboard...

I am not a tour hater and love all blackberry's but just dont see the tour being all that innovative or new...After the storm failure and the tour I feel VZW is getting the short end of the stick from RIM which sucks.

Just my .02 cents
    07-22-09 01:09 AM
    I haven't used the tour yet, but from my knowledge of the device I agree with what you said. but you gotta think of the tour as a device that both VZW and Sprint needed. Neither carrier had a new generation Blackberry with a qwerty keyboard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 01:44 AM
    nice to hear that... was worried everyone would say the tour was better but the 8900 is right there too... heck yea!!
    07-22-09 01:52 AM
    so the 3g difference isn't that much...
    07-22-09 07:59 AM
    3g might be better for streaming slacker radio or something but device's are pretty close to each other..

At least the vzw and sprint people have a real blackberry now to use...
    07-22-09 10:37 AM
    VZW is the one saying they don't want WiFi devices, it's not RIM shoving it down their throats. CDMA 3G and GSM 3G are worlds apart. CDMA has 3G speeds but not the ability to do Data and Voice simultaneously like GSM 3G.
    07-22-09 11:28 AM
    I love the fact that I have wifi and UMA for the matter. When I'm hanging out at some of my friends who live in the basement, I can just connect onto their wifi for service when my other friends who are on Verizon, are constantly complaining about their battery life because they have to search harder for a signal.
    07-22-09 11:53 AM
    I agree, the tour is basically a curve 8900 with, in my opinion, a better keyboard. I love the feel and sturdiness of it. I own a curve 8900 and love it, they look exaclty alike and are apart of the best phone device company in the world.

07-28-09 02:29 PM
    After today, I love my 8900 with WiFi/UMA even more. I just spent two days in keokuk, iowa. Business trip with my wife.

We stayed at the Hilton and they have wifi. My Mobile Network was set to "Mobile Network Preferred" . I noticed that I was roaming on iwireless network. When I changed my preference to WiFi only, my display switched over to T-Mobile/UMA/WiFi.
    07-28-09 11:10 PM
    The reason I would get the Tour is for the better keyboard. The 8900's keyboard is simply cramped. It's a good keyboard but it's cramped. I prefer the Bold-style keyboard much more over the 8900.
    07-29-09 12:55 AM
    The loose battery door thing is a little annoying, but the keyboard was easy to get over, for me anyway.
    07-29-09 01:01 AM
    i own a 8900 and my girl has the tour. she actually likes the look and feel of my 8900 better we both like the keyboard of the 8900 better.
    07-29-09 01:02 AM
    I played with a friends Tour and was actually pretty impressed. I felt like the build quality was better, I liked the keyboard better, and this is cheesy I know but I like the Tour name and the "world traveller" feel of it. Lack of WIFI is the only downside.

07-29-09 04:15 AM
    Someone in a post earlier said the 8900 seems to be taking over the world...this seals it for me...if I could make love to my 8900 I would....does anybody else get the warm fuzzies when they see UMA...its like magical peaches and enchanted rainbows......huuuuuuuuuuuhhhhmmmm...true love

Last edited by larrygump; 07-29-09 at 05:15 PM.
    07-29-09 04:46 PM
    i had the bold and loved the keyboard but hated the size, didnt need 3g either. i dont think ive ever used wifi either.
    ive had the 8900 for a few months and love it but i always miss the bold keyboard.
    now the tour has that keyboard and the battery door doesnt feel like it was built out of tooth picks... i might have to get one unlocked. the tour looks and feels thicker but when i put them on the table side by side they were exactly the same size. crazy
    07-29-09 11:35 PM
    Im still in love avec my curve 8900. its not only mu bff (pathetic) it knows me better than anyone or anything : )
    07-29-09 11:57 PM
    Loved my 8900 but could never watch youtube and couldn't stream slacker unless I wasn't moving. My tour does both handily.

07-30-09 12:51 AM
    uhm, if I had to choose between the Tour and the 8900 - I would simply go for the Tour, because of the fact that its a world phone, keyboard is more spacey, and it has 3G. I barely use WiFi on my 8900, but I still do love it.

-Luis
    07-30-09 01:01 AM
    As long as I have WIFI on my 8900, I am happy. no need to have 3G
    07-30-09 04:11 AM
    IMO the tour is a great phone and I'm glad VZW got a real bb instead of the sub par storm. But I've had my 8900 for about month, and I must say it's the best bb out as of now. The wi-fi and uma features are wonderful. I came from VZW, and I had the storm, it was a pos tottally. I ended up buy a 8330 to replace it. Neither could compare to my 8900, best bb overall hands down.

07-30-09 11:22 AM
    lets all jump for joy that we own 8900's
    07-30-09 03:39 PM
    i've actually owned both the blackberry tour and just recently switched to the curve 8900. IMO both devices are extremly similar to one another with a few differences.

i love my curve to be honest. the way it feels, looks EVERYTHING!!
    i think you made the right choice sticking with the curve!!
    08-04-09 05:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD