Last night, I upgraded from .206 to .231. The upgrade went smoothly (using loader.exe, not DM) including the device backup. When attempting to restore my data after the update, I received an error. I was given a similar error before when using loader.exe, so I ignored it and proceeded to attempt to use DM 4.7 to restore my settings.

When loading up DM 4.7, this error is shown:

"Failed to connect to the device. Please make sure that the device is connected and try again."

This error will not allow my data to be restored to my BB using DM.

I uninstalled DM 4.7, and tried both 4.6 and 4.5. I even performed a clean uninstall per the instructions available on BlackBerry.com. I've attempted to downgrade back to .206, but loader.exe now gives me this error after turning off the radio during the downgrade:

"Unable to complete the loading operation. A fatal error has occurred while updating your device's software. Please try again."

I've done a search on Google and these forums. There are others with similar problems, but there are no working solutions. I've tried removing my SD card and doing a battery pull while connected to DM, but nothing seems to help.

If anyone has an idea of how to repair this, it'd be greatly appreciated. If it's a hardware issue, I'd hate to send my .231 phone back to T-Mobile when it should have .114 on it and risk voiding my warranty. In its current state, I cannot downgrade to .114, and others with similar errors have claimed that a wipe does not alleviate the problem.
    05-05-09 09:39 AM
    Wipe it with CrackMem, try again.
    05-05-09 10:31 AM
    Thanks for the reply!

That is a last resort for me, since the initial restore loaded my 3rd party apps before it failed, but none of my messages or settings. I'm waiting to pick up a new USB cable at lunch to see if that's the culprit, then I'll try and start fresh and post back.
    05-05-09 10:39 AM
    or JL_Cmder...

Then open C:/Program Files/common files/Research in Motion/<folder I can't remember the name of>/apploader.exe and let it install whatever OS you have installed on your computer.
    05-05-09 11:08 AM
    I tried a new USB cable with no luck. I decided to wipe the device using CrackMem and install the .206 OS (the last one that installed properly on my phone). The wipe/reinstall process went smoothly.

I fired up DM 4.6 and did not receive any of the previous errors. I used DM to restore my previous backup from .206, and everything appears to be working properly. My messages and settings were restored, but I lost all of my 3rd party applications and had to manually reinstall my native BB apps and games. My menu layout was also reset.

To lazerus and bassichonda96, thank y'all for your suggestions.
    05-05-09 12:40 PM
    You can also follow the Upgrade Procedure link in my signature for information on getting backups of your 3rd party applications as well.
    05-05-09 12:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD