06-09-10 06:48 PM
26 12
tools
    I seem to have something like this happen at least once a week but I'm thoroughly done. Two days ago I awoke to find that my "Compose MMS" option in my menu was gone. I wasted about an hour with BB Tech Support doing everything they and I could do (I did most everything they suggested prior to the call as I have been through this dozens of times since the phone's release in Dec. 08). They finally told me to go to a repair center to have the OS reloaded on the phone. I did that and they got it up and running. Then last night I take the POS out of its holster to find it in the middle of rebooting (which is yet another constant problem). Thinking that the phone would return to normal (which was my first mistake), I waited for the phone to come back on line. Much to my fury, I found that I lost EVERYTHING. Contacts, messages, email, calendar events, etc. I'm hoping the store saved my back up file, but I'm not holding my breath. I use the DC extensively in my line of work, but this constant aggravation is rediculous. I would have a small fortune in the time and effort I've put into this POS if I was a sprint employee getting paid by the hour. When I am able to upgrade, I am outta here.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 12:24 PM
    I hear ya, Im waiting on the Motorola i1. Once thats out, im ditchin the 8350i off.
    05-13-10 03:10 PM
    I will be jumping out as soon as i decide on my next BB. I cant leave BB but I can leave iDen.
    05-13-10 06:23 PM
    I will be jumping out as soon as i decide on my next BB. I cant leave BB but I can leave iDen.
    Hard call for me. I was thinkin of th iphone wagon. But then again I don't want to give up my dc so I guess I'm screwed. Maybe just go back to and ido1t phone with dc be The best way lol

05-13-10 06:45 PM
    I can honestly say my Nextel DC was a time and money saver about 3 years and more ago...Now its more a pain then a convenience...I can do better with old fashioned hand signals in the field now. It might look like monkeys effin footballs or a cheerleader routine as im swingin and wavin my arms around. but the guys/gals know what to do and what im sayin.Im to the point where I want a nice phone as in 9650 and maybe breakout the old i580 and get it setup for nextel and maybe a emergency number..This 8350i cant get the job done to my satisfaction and it appears Sprint doesnt really care.
    05-13-10 07:44 PM
    I can honestly say my Nextel DC was a time and money saver about 3 years and more ago...Now its more a pain then a convenience...I can do better with old fashioned hand signals in the field now. It might look like monkeys effin footballs or a cheerleader routine as im swingin and wavin my arms around. but the guys/gals know what to do and what im sayin.Im to the point where I want a nice phone as in 9650 and maybe breakout the old i580 and get it setup for nextel and maybe a emergency number..This 8350i cant get the job done to my satisfaction and it appears Sprint doesnt really care.
    I concur. I've been reading a lot of information on the 9650 boards and am seriously considering it. I chose the 8350i because of RIM's stellar reputation for producing a solid smart phone (in Dec 08 that is). But the 8350i has put an overhanging black and blue eye on that reputation. If the 9650 doesn't measure up to expectations, I will write RIM off and go with a competitor. Thanks for allowing me to rant.

05-14-10 04:30 PM
    When I first got my 9700 I booted it up with an ill-fitting case (meant for 8900) half on and lost all my photos. I'm just saying sometimes these cases sit on a key and delete stuff.
    05-14-10 05:52 PM
    I could understand losing one piece of media such as photos, but my POS rebooted as if I had done a complete wipe. What keys cause that??

05-14-10 07:33 PM
    im picking up my 4TH! REPLACMENT 8350i pos today for transmitters off i cant stand the service or the phone as soon as something else comes out i am outta here aswell!
    05-15-10 02:33 PM
    I'm pretty much done with this phone now.. I no longer have any ringtones for emails coming in. They are there and configured right, didn't touch anything, they just don't work anymore. I'm not going to waste my time doing a wipe then reinstall of the OS. I've had it with working on a phone to make it perform to where it should. Gonna try the EVO if I don't like it I will pick up a 9650, if I don't like that, then I will just pull the sim card out of the BB and go back to my i860 (Which I used for 2 and a half years without any problems) until December when my 2 years are up and get an IPhone. Anytime I have called Sprint Tech in the past 4 months about this phone the first thing they make you do is resend service books, when that doesn't solve the problems they say "You have insurance, take the phone to a corporate store and they will replace it", that is because they know they can't get the phone to work properly on the IDen network and they are just going to keep giving away replacements or reinstalling the OS until the customer is so fed up they buy a new phone. They only have 6 months left of doing this for the early adopters like myself.. I can almost guarantee this phone will be discontinued by December and a new phone will be available. I don't see a Blackberry on the Iden network in 2 years..
    05-15-10 03:15 PM
    I agree unless nextel brakes away and revamp it self.

05-16-10 03:27 PM
    yep, just going to wait a few weeks and see how the 9650 works, not being a first to get a new device again. if they ever come out with a dream nextel bb i might think about it, but right now i really need reliabe, and this isnt "getting it done" if the 9650 fails, well who knows, dont want to learn a new phone, but might have to
    05-16-10 09:44 PM
    Well, since this seems to the the b1tch thread, I'm gonna let mine out, too.

I've had this phone since it was released. After the 7100i, I really thought this one would blow the doors off everything else Nextel.

Boy, was I WRONG!!! I can take the slow a$$ed iDEN network since I have a Droid for that. But, something as simple as DC, I mean, COME ON??? Every friggin time I start a DC conversation and they answer, mine will drop the signal. If I were in an area where there was little service, I could maybe buy that, but I'm sitting under a friggin tower. Have full signal until I need to use the damn thing.

I've had this same problem since I upgraded to .313. So, I downloaded the Southernlink 5.0 and thought this had fixed it. No joy there. Now, instead of being able to just disable and reenable the connection, I have to pull the friggin battery in order to get this POS to connect back to the network.

I even tried downgrading back to .204. It would not allow me to do that, so I'm stuck with either .313 or this hacked version of 5.0 from Southernlink. I need the DC for work, but ever since Sprint took over Nextel, Nextel has basically took a nose dive off the bridge with no bungee cords attached.

It still amazes me at the lack of concern or care for Nextel users from Sprint. Sure, they have the best prices around and actually the best deal on service with the free mobile to mobile from any carrier, but damn guys. It's not like they don't know what the problems are. Fixing this phone can't be rocket science. How friggin difficult could it possibly be to have a phone that receives text messages without having to reboot the phone 5 times a day?

If the update that Sprint finally releases for 5.0 don't fix these issues, I'm gonna drop the thing altogether. I've already got a Droid. I will miss the BB Messenger and several other things on the BB side, but sending my soul to **** everytime I need to contact someone through DC just ain't worth it.

Good luck to everyone else. ****, even Casper, our MODERATOR dropped his Nextel and went to the iPhone. What exactly does that say for this phone?
    05-16-10 10:33 PM
    Well, since this seems to the the b1tch thread, I'm gonna let mine out, too.

I've had this phone since it was released. After the 7100i, I really thought this one would blow the doors off everything else Nextel.

Boy, was I WRONG!!! I can take the slow a$$ed iDEN network since I have a Droid for that. But, something as simple as DC, I mean, COME ON??? Every friggin time I start a DC conversation and they answer, mine will drop the signal. If I were in an area where there was little service, I could maybe buy that, but I'm sitting under a friggin tower. Have full signal until I need to use the damn thing.

I've had this same problem since I upgraded to .313. So, I downloaded the Southernlink 5.0 and thought this had fixed it. No joy there. Now, instead of being able to just disable and reenable the connection, I have to pull the friggin battery in order to get this POS to connect back to the network.

I even tried downgrading back to .204. It would not allow me to do that, so I'm stuck with either .313 or this hacked version of 5.0 from Southernlink. I need the DC for work, but ever since Sprint took over Nextel, Nextel has basically took a nose dive off the bridge with no bungee cords attached.

It still amazes me at the lack of concern or care for Nextel users from Sprint. Sure, they have the best prices around and actually the best deal on service with the free mobile to mobile from any carrier, but damn guys. It's not like they don't know what the problems are. Fixing this phone can't be rocket science. How friggin difficult could it possibly be to have a phone that receives text messages without having to reboot the phone 5 times a day?

If the update that Sprint finally releases for 5.0 don't fix these issues, I'm gonna drop the thing altogether. I've already got a Droid. I will miss the BB Messenger and several other things on the BB side, but sending my soul to **** everytime I need to contact someone through DC just ain't worth it.

Good luck to everyone else. ****, even Casper, our MODERATOR dropped his Nextel and went to the iPhone. What exactly does that say for this phone?

If this is not a sign, I don't know what is. I clicked on this thread to view Cobra's post and my phone rebooted AGAIN. Cobra....from previous posts, I believe that you and I are in similar lines of work. I echo your comments as well. Most of my professional contacts are reachable by DC, but I no longer care. What good does it do if it does not work??? I've already decided to drop Nextel as soon as I can. The first post in this thread has made that decision for me. I am trying to decide between the 9650 and the Evo. I like the features of the BB but the Evo sounds nice too. What is your opinion of the droid phones and applicability to our career field?

05-17-10 01:39 PM
    I'm really startin to think the whole 8350i problem is with Sprint and not really with RIM. Southernlink released the 5.0 how long ago and still nothing from sprint!! NOW, I just found out Southernlink also has just released the i1, and AGAIN still nothing from sprint!!

https://onlinestore.southernlinc.com....aspx?pid=1473

Not sure about anyone else, but I think its time to start lookin for a new provider.
    I will miss my 2 way but I believe we all spend way too much as far as service fees to be constantly left in the dark!!
    05-20-10 03:07 AM
    My personal belief is it is not RIM or the phone, it is Sprint/Nextel. Their Tech department for this phone is pretty much horrendous, and in my opinion we are trying to use a state of the art phone on a antiquated system that hasn't been updated in years. I can live with the slowness for websurfing, I can even live with a reboot here and there, but I can not live with anytime I am on DC after a few clicks the phone locks up, I can't live with when I am in a voice conversation on the phone after a while I lose signal, and I can not live with anytime you call Sprint Tech the technicians you talk to read from a screen and when they screw up they are clueless to what to say and just keep apologizing and offer credits, then tell you to bring the phone to a corporate store for replacement or OS reinstallation. Those things should not be happening not only in this day and age but with a big company like Sprint. I get more info from here on Crackberry then from them!
    05-20-10 08:18 AM
    One other thing I can't live with getting text messages 12-24 hours late! That goes back to using a state of the art phone on a antiquated system..
    05-20-10 08:20 AM
    Buck,

I hear your pain. I spent the entire morning in a lead lined x-ray room where I got intermittent signal, while other guys on Sprint had full signal. After exiting the room it would take a minute or so to reconnect and then find that I couldn't DC. As soon as I hit the button to DC someone it would kick back to the address book. Had to disable the network and re-enable and wait for it to come back up to use it. Now imagine doing this a couple of times in the period of a few hours. Down right frustrating and inexcusable.
    05-20-10 11:32 AM
    Reading these posts scare the **** out of me, I don't know whether I'm just lucky or if it just takes a while for them to start the problems that everyone talks about. I was bamboozled into getting this 8350i, not knowing much about bb it was my first time buying one, looking for a boost 8330 I was tricked into this 8350i. So far though it has worked perfectly for me, but all my personal experiences with this phone so far have left me with one opinion...this phone is a walking dead man, a dinosaur. I almost can't pay someone to take it off my hands, as it is now I'm looking at less than 50% return on what i bought it for. And it's brand new(w/box and all goodies), flashed for boost, has a lots of apps on it, and would come with existing unlimited service time included....yet still no one wants it. So for now making the best of it.

05-23-10 11:03 AM
    Reading these posts scare the **** out of me, I don't know whether I'm just lucky or if it just takes a while for them to start the problems that everyone talks about. I was bamboozled into getting this 8350i, not knowing much about bb it was my first time buying one, looking for a boost 8330 I was tricked into this 8350i. So far though it has worked perfectly for me, but all my personal experiences with this phone so far have left me with one opinion...this phone is a walking dead man, a dinosaur. I almost can't pay someone to take it off my hands, as it is now I'm looking at less than 50% return on what i bought it for. And it's brand new(w/box and all goodies), flashed for boost, has a lots of apps on it, and would come with existing unlimited service time included....yet still no one wants it. So for now making the best of it.

Sounds you have been one of the lucky ones. I am on my 7th. I know from spending time on these boards that there are those that are experiencing no problems with the phone are a rarity. I've been stalking the 9650 boards and reading their posts the following week of the phone's release, it took me back to Dec 08 when the 8350i was released. It was then I realized what kind of junk this POS is in comparison to ALL the other BBs. Some people blame the iden network and believe it shares only PART of the blame. Half of my 8350i replacement were due to hardware/software issues totally unrelated to the IDEN network.

05-23-10 01:47 PM
    in the 15 years that I had MOTO made Nextel phones I didn't have to re-boot. Thanks RIM! Another case of engineers not using what they design or it would be fixed.
    05-23-10 03:01 PM
    I'll jump on the whine truck! I've been one of the lucky ones so far in that my phone has not malfunctioned yet. Nextel, however, is the anti-christ. I've had the phone since January and finally received my first correct bill in June.

The worst experience was a couple of months ago my phone was "X"d so I called Nextel. For over an hour they resent books and had me jump through hoop after hoop.
    When they realized they were only making it worse they sent me to a service center after telling me that my sim card was bad. So I took the 45 minute drive to the nearest store with an error message on my BB that they'd caused.
    CS had it for a few hours and when I returned they informed me that a 3rd party theme had corrupted the system, necessitating a complete wipe of my phone, thus setting it back to factory fresh (no mention of a bad sim).
    Phone worked fine during the 45 minute drive back home but as I pulled onto my road it went to "X" again.
    You guessed it-- that entire day of talking to Nextel, driving all over hells half acre and them deleting half my apps & all my settings was due to a friggin tower down in my area. Nobody thought to look into that first.

Sorry for the rant, I just felt like sharing.
    06-06-10 07:09 PM
    Guess I am one of the lucky ones too. I have had my phone for over a year now and I have had very few problems.

Occasioanl reboot or maybe getting a text message late. Only thing I don't like is the slow iden network.

When I first got this phone I was quite surproised that Sprint would release any new phone on jkust the iden network. I guess RIM hasn't figured out how to build a dual network phone yet.

06-08-10 11:19 AM
    I hear ya, Im waiting on the Motorola i1. Once thats out, im ditchin the 8350i off.
    I have the 8350i and trying to see if its worth moving to the Moto i1? I must stay with Nextel (Business) but need something more....
    06-09-10 12:06 AM
    I have the 8350i and trying to see if its worth moving to the Moto i1? I must stay with Nextel (Business) but need something more....
    I would switch if I were you. This is the biggest POS device I have ever owned and am looking into getting out of it as well. I need the DC as well for work, but not enough to put up with this crap. Just my 2 cents. By the way, in the near future I will have a second part to the original post that I'm sure you will love.

06-09-10 09:00 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD