Since update the other night, the MUTE button sometimes puts the phone to sleep and SOMETIMES justs locks the keypad with the "this keypad is locked press mute to unlock" message showing....Once this happens, It will contine to occur until a battery pull. A battery pull 'corrects' this and allows the mute to put to sleep. Any body else having this issue? I want to to go to sleep to save battery......
    03-25-10 06:35 AM
    New versions of 5.0 now have the A* and Mute/Play put the phone to sleep.
    Holding A* or Mute/Play will make it sleep.
    Holding Mute/Play will wake it up/unlock the keyboard.

Not a bug. Just something most seem to disagree with RIM at.
    03-25-10 07:31 AM
    Hey.. I understand that... HOWEVER mine is not putting it to sleep (some of the time) anymore... it is just locking the keyboard randomly like the "A*" used to do.... but the mute/play is doing that.
    03-25-10 09:12 AM
    But that is how it's supposed to be... Either A* or Mute/Lock will lock the keyboard now. And Mute/Lock will release it.

Unless you set a password, then it will behave as it used to.
    03-25-10 09:56 AM
    I see that you are correct... i tried to press the back button and it says screen is locked..... is there anyway to put in standby mode without a holster?
    Last edited by jekadial; 03-25-10 at 03:37 PM.
    03-25-10 09:59 AM
    I see that you are correct... i tried to press the back button and it says screen is locked..... is there anyway to put in standby mode without a holster?
    Sure, let's assume you keep the BB in your right rear pocket. Visit your local medical clinic and have them sew a magnet into your right rear cheek and then whenever you slide the BB into the appropriate pocket, it will go to standby. When you pull it out, it will wake up. If however you keep it in the front pocket, well that may be a little more troublesome I'm afraid.

I hope everyone realizes this reply is "tongue-in-cheek" and is only to provide a little levity to the forum.
    03-25-10 08:56 PM
    Dunno about them, but I really laughed at this.

Remember to copyright this idea!
    03-25-10 09:17 PM
    I have a different issue with the mutekey lock/unlock. Everytime I come out of standby with the mute key, it opens the media folder....this is anoying to me lol...does anyone know anything that can be done about this?
    03-26-10 08:14 AM
    Hold for unlock.
    Press and it will open Media.
    03-26-10 09:11 AM
    i recently upgraded my OS and now i too have the mute button/unlock working. but here's my dilemma: if i've got my cell set w/ a pw via the A/* button to lock it. why do i need to use the mute button to unlock it w/o prompting me to enter my pw?

i find the mute button more annoying and can't figure out how to get around it.
    03-27-10 01:32 PM
    I hate the new "lock" feature.
    03-27-10 01:35 PM
    i recently upgraded my OS and now i too have the mute button/unlock working. but here's my dilemma: if i've got my cell set w/ a pw via the A/* button to lock it. why do i need to use the mute button to unlock it w/o prompting me to enter my pw?

i find the mute button more annoying and can't figure out how to get around it.
    You got it wrong.

A* and Mute/Play do not lock the phone. It goes into standby.

Setting a password brings the Lock icon back, and if you click it, the device will only unluck if you input the password.

RIM decided to separate the features:

Lock really locks. Needs password.
    A*/Mute triggers standby.
    03-27-10 03:32 PM
    After the update I'm experiencing issues as well. The "Keypad is locked. Press the Mute button to unlock." screen is stuck/frozen over the locked/password screen. I have to take my battery out and restart.

It seems as if the Blackberry gets confused as to what is lock and standby...so frustrating.
    03-30-10 01:53 PM
    After the update I'm experiencing issues as well. The "Keypad is locked. Press the Mute button to unlock." screen is stuck/frozen over the locked/password screen. I have to take my battery out and restart.

It seems as if the Blackberry gets confused as to what is lock and standby...so frustrating.
    I have this problem about once a day, as well. No idea how to stop it, or even what causes it -- why does it sometimes freeze, and sometimes not?

Anyone else having this issue, or have an idea to keep it from happening?
    04-16-10 12:31 PM
    I'm having the same problem as toomanywords. My phone gets stuck with the keyboard locked and displaying the message "Keypad is locked. Press the Mute button to unlock". I press the mute button, but it just keeps displaying that message. I type in my password in case it will take it, but no luck. I have to pull out the battery to get it to let me reset it.

Does anyone have any idea how to correct this? I have 8530 Curve with OS v5.0.0.508 (Platform 4.2.0.324). Is there a new update out?
    06-12-10 12:49 PM
    Have you tried pressing and holding the mute button? It should work...do you have music playing during the times it gives you problems?
    06-12-10 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD