OK, so I'm on T-Mo and my GF Corie is with AT&T. We can SMS just fine, but when it comes to MMS, it's not such a great story. I used to have an 8320 and now have an 8900. She has her first Blackberry (8310) and it's turning into a nightmare for her. Pictures take hours to go through and sometimes they don't go through at all (both sending or receiving). She has contacted AT&T and they have switched out her phone now 3 times and keep telling her that in order to use MMS properly she needs a data plan. I know this to not be true as when I first got my 8320 with T-Mo I didn't have data, but I did have unlimited messaging and MMS worked fine.

Now, on her third 8310, if I send her a pic, I get back a read receipt that shows up as this...

She continues to try and send me pics but they either take hours to get here or not at all. I have gone through all the 'on device' settings I can and they are all good. AT&T keeps telling her she 'needs' a data plan. Anyone have any idea why MMS on AT&T isn't working and what the read receipt above signifies?

All I get are those tiny boxes.

As she sometimes can send pics and she does get mine, I don't buy the whole 'must have data with AT&T' reason. If she can send them and receive them sometimes, this would negate that reasoning.
    Last edited by 3CISSBB; 07-08-09 at 01:16 PM.
    07-08-09 11:39 AM
    Blackberry rule #1: problems with MMS are with the carrier not the phone. You are living proof of that. I don't know about ATT but if that's what they say and that's what cjjeffers says that's probably the case (no data no MMS) It's different with Tmob and I did mms with Vzn with no data back in the day, but ATT is different. So if your GF loves ATT and she can't afford a data plan then she can't afford MMS just like she can't afford email. Thread closed?
    07-08-09 12:11 PM
    Folks from our Posting Rules & Guidelines.....

Post in the Right Forum
    We’ve done our best to layout the forum categories so they are logical and make sense. When you are creating a new thread, do your best to get it in the right category. We want these forums to be value added and educational. The General CrackBerry Discussion and General RIM/BlackBerry Discussion are good places to post if you have a serious question but are not quite sure where to put it. These forums are less stringently moderated, while specific forums (BlackBerry 8700 Series for example) are more strictly moderated to maintain their quality and usefulness.

And of course, we also have the Off-Topic Discussion forum. This is the place on the site to have fun and talk about whatever. From sports to the weather to what to buy your girlfriend for her birthday (buying her a new blackberry is always a good thing), anything goes in here. Just remember to keep it clean, keep it productive and keep it legal!

Make Meaningful Posts
    While CrackBerry.com is geared as much towards entertaining and connecting the Crackberry community as it is to helping solve problems and staying on top of news and rumors, all posts made within the site should be value added and on topic to the thread (even in the free for all). Hijacking a thread off-topic is a big No-No, and posts made for no reason other than to increase post count will be wiped from the site.

Personal Attacks
    Do not flame, insult or post personal attacks against other users. Be courteous, not rude. Any instances or reports of harassment of members will be treated seriously. CrackBerry.com has a zero tolerance policy against this kind of behavior, which may result with an immediate temporary or permanent ban at moderators' discretion. CrackBerry.com is a friendly place - treat members with respect at all times. If you don't have something nice to say, do not say it!

Reporting a bad post
    There is a "Report bad post" button on the top right side of each post (red/white triangle) or you can send a PM to a moderator.

We now return you to your regularly schedule thread already in progress!
    07-08-09 12:53 PM
    3CISSBB, I've handled this before and solved it by backing up the BB, doing a wipe:

Options > Security Options > General Settings > (BB key) Wipe Handheld

And do all your service books again after that. It has worked 10 for 10 or so on diff handsets for diff folks on diff carriers, including my personal 8900 on TMo and work 8330 on VZW.

Good luck.
    07-08-09 01:25 PM
    3CISSBB, I've handled this before and solved it by backing up the BB, doing a wipe:

Options > Security Options > General Settings > (BB key) Wipe Handheld

And do all your service books again after that. It has worked 10 for 10 or so on diff handsets for diff folks on diff carriers, including my personal 8900 on TMo and work 8330 on VZW.

Good luck.
    Thanks uberspeed. We'll give that a shot.

As a follow up to what was said earlier. She has never had a data plan and has in the past still been able to send and get pictures. It's just sometimes they take hours or even a day to get there or get here. She does this with NO data plan, and has never been charged extra and has been with AT&T for roughly 10+ years already. She pays for unlimited messaging and we're just trying to get to the bottom of why they take so long to go through or sometimes don't go through at all.

And if you have any insight to the screenshot and the boxes for read receipts, I would be grateful.
    07-08-09 01:42 PM
    I did try BB on ATT with no data plan and it worked until ATT would realize it was a BB and they'd tack on the data plan, they wouldn't budge. What a series of messy and angry calls those were
    /shudders
    She's gotten away with it for years, we didn't get away with it for more than a few weeks at a time.

For read receipts:
    Messages > Options > Email Settings >
    For each email account there's a Send Read Receipts available.
    Is that what you're referring to?
    07-08-09 01:58 PM
    I did try BB on ATT with no data plan and it worked until ATT would realize it was a BB and they'd tack on the data plan, they wouldn't budge. What a series of messy and angry calls those were
    /shudders
    She's gotten away with it for years, we didn't get away with it for more than a few weeks at a time.

For read receipts:
    Messages > Options > Email Settings >
    For each email account there's a Send Read Receipts available.
    Is that what you're referring to?
    No, in the pictures above, the boxes are what is now coming back to me as read receipts. I used to get the regular...Your message to...has been read. Now all I get are these boxes as read receipts.
    07-08-09 02:01 PM
    Ah! Duh on me, sorry.
    Yes, classic symptom of device needing a wipe for MMS issues. Exact symptom I have seen before, prompting me to go down series of steps I'd described.

Why do I feel I should face the corner with a dunce cap on now? lol
    Sorry!
    07-08-09 02:06 PM
    Ah! Duh on me, sorry.
    Yes, classic symptom of device needing a wipe for MMS issues. Exact symptom I have seen before, prompting me to go down series of steps I'd described.

Why do I feel I should face the corner with a dunce cap on now? lol
    Sorry!
    Not necessary at all. We'll try wiping (again) and resend the service books to see if it helps. BTW, would you happen to know where she would look in her account online to resend the service books?
    07-08-09 02:10 PM
    I used this previously:
    BlackBerry Internet Service

If that doesn't work have the carrier look into her messaging capabilities.
    07-08-09 02:12 PM
    I used this previously:
    BlackBerry Internet Service

If that doesn't work have the carrier look into her messaging capabilities.
    Thank you.
    07-08-09 02:20 PM
    You're very welcome, hope you get it resolved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 02:31 PM
    I don't think wiping the phone will help in this case. On AT&T you need the ability to access the internet on your phone. Now, you do not need the BB plan but you at least need pay per use data. This will charge by the KB I believe.
    07-08-09 02:42 PM
    I am on ATT. Their MMS problems are theirs. i have the same problem with a data plan and its between 2 phone on att. i have gotten new phones and new sim cards. and nothing works. they need to upgrade their servers and software. they brag about the fews dropped calls but there is a new report that they have the poorest 3g network out there as far as signal strength
    and btw you do not need a data plan for mms.

OK, so I'm on T-Mo and my GF Corie is with AT&T. We can SMS just fine, but when it comes to MMS, it's not such a great story. I used to have an 8320 and now have an 8900. She has her first Blackberry (8310) and it's turning into a nightmare for her. Pictures take hours to go through and sometimes they don't go through at all (both sending or receiving). She has contacted AT&T and they have switched out her phone now 3 times and keep telling her that in order to use MMS properly she needs a data plan. I know this to not be true as when I first got my 8320 with T-Mo I didn't have data, but I did have unlimited messaging and MMS worked fine.

Now, on her third 8310, if I send her a pic, I get back a read receipt that shows up as this...

She continues to try and send me pics but they either take hours to get here or not at all. I have gone through all the 'on device' settings I can and they are all good. AT&T keeps telling her she 'needs' a data plan. Anyone have any idea why MMS on AT&T isn't working and what the read receipt above signifies?

All I get are those tiny boxes.

As she sometimes can send pics and she does get mine, I don't buy the whole 'must have data with AT&T' reason. If she can send them and receive them sometimes, this would negate that reasoning.
    07-08-09 03:06 PM
    I am on ATT. Their MMS problems are theirs. i have the same problem with a data plan and its between 2 phone on att. i have gotten new phones and new sim cards. and nothing works. they need to upgrade their servers and software. they brag about the fews dropped calls but there is a new report that they have the poorest 3g network out there as far as signal strength
    and btw you do not need a data plan for mms.

Same here just got my 8900 and sent a pic to a friend she never received it. But I had the same problem with my old phone Lg flip phone last week. So that confirms it AT&T has alot of issues regarding the texting.
    07-08-09 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD