After searching the blackberry site here is the dissapointing news I found. Take heed ....dont upgrade your version. If anyone knows how to get my phone to go back to the old version (3.8 I think) let me know. It was better the old way!! I do tech support on my phone all day and the max volume sucks now-thats what bothers me the most-its all the way up-but not loud enough.

Environment
    BlackBerry Curve 8530 smartphone
    BlackBerry Device Software 5.0.0.362
    Issue Number 471785

In earlier versions of BlackBerry Device Software, a Lock icon was present on the Home screen of the BlackBerry smartphone, which could also be invoked through a keyboard shortcut by pressing the letter K.
    Due to changes in the security features of the BlackBerry smartphone, starting in BlackBerry Device software 5.0.0.362 for the BlackBerry Curve 8530 smartphone, the icon has been renamed to Password Lock and the icon only appears when a security password is enabled on the BlackBerry smartphone.
    If a password is not configured, the icon is not present on the BlackBerry homescreen and therefore the keyboard shortcut K, will not allow the BlackBerry smartphone to be locked. For information on password security and steps for configuring a password, see article KB00588.

If a password on the BlackBerry smartphone is not desired, a keypad lock can be enabled by pressing the Lock button on the top of the BlackBerry smartphone. Some BlackBerry smartphones do not have a lock button and the Mute button may perform the same function as the lock button. Please see the product documentation for your specific BlackBerry smartphone for more information on this feature.

Environment
    BlackBerry device
    BlackBerry Device Software version 4.0 or later
    Bluetooth
    SDR60532

When making a phone call with a handheld running software version 4.0 or later, the volume on the Bluetooth headset is lower than the volume with software version 3.8. The volume level in version 3.8 was set higher than intended. The volume level in version 4.0 or later is by design.

Craig.
    04-21-10 07:28 AM
    Do you have audio boost set to on? And people have said there is no keyboard lock on my version but there is. Just hold down the "A" key, although you don't get a prompt saying its locked unless you click a key.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-21-10 10:55 AM
    boost is on and I know you can lock 2 other ways- The "a" button and holding mute. I just like the icon better
    04-21-10 08:07 PM
    Thanks for figuring this out!
    06-27-10 03:04 PM
    I have the newest 5.0 on my Curve it is the .734 the volume is great. I don't mind hitting the A key to lock it should I decide and then just clicking on the mute key to unlock it. I am satisfied with the new OS
    06-27-10 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD