After an eventful night I stuck my phone in my pocket--something I normally don't do out of habit.
    The night was progressing and it dawned on me to pull out my phone and text a friend. When I pulled my phone out I noticed some error message [Uncaught Exception Java.lang.NullPointerException I later came to find out] on the display screen but didn't pay much attention to it. I sent the text message, shoved the phone back in my pocket and went on with my night.
    This morning I woke up to find my messages a complete mess.

When I first opened my messages folder only two messages [MMS from Bank of America] were displayed. I thought I must have been viewing the wrong folder and proceeded to press the BB button -> View Folder -> SMS Inbox thinking that might solve the problem.
    Nothing.

After fiddling with it for a while, deleting the messages, backing up and restoring files as recommended with the previous post involving phone call logs and restarting the device at least five times, I'm running out of options.

The problem is simple:
    When I open the messages folder, no messages are displayed. Yet when I go to the SMS Inbox folder, some messages are displayed. Not all. The new message notification icon appears at the top of the screen but there is no way of viewing these messages.
    I also can not compose and send SMS text messages as I normally do.
    I can compose and send them but the screen does not return to the messages folder like it normally does. Instead the entire screen just lags after I hit send. The messages do send, but the screen shows no evidence that it has done so..
    I'm running out of options and places to turn to and as a compulsive text-er, the problem I'm encountering is extremely frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by drblah; 03-24-09 at 12:13 PM.
    03-23-09 11:45 PM
    Switch to one of the default precision themes and then restart your device. It sounds like you had a 3rd party theme installed (likely beta) and your phone re-started with this theme active.
    03-23-09 11:50 PM
    I don't think that is the problem because I'm using a Default theme.
    The only thing I've changed regarding the theme is the Wallpaper.
    But I have my fingers crossed and I switched themes to the other default on. Currently restarting it
    03-23-09 11:54 PM
    Yeah.
    Nothing.
    Same message all over again.
    03-23-09 11:56 PM
    I received the same error, but mine without a doubt was the iBerry theme I downloaded and installed. I wiped my BB and reinstalled - same error after battery pull. Wiped again and didn't install - now everything is fine.
    03-23-09 11:59 PM
    I haven't installed anything.
    At all.
    At least--not that I know of...
    I've only had my BB for a couple of weeks now.
    03-24-09 12:01 AM
    Must be a 3rd party app then. Which of those do you have installed?

Try to remove them 1 by one to determine the culprit.
    03-24-09 12:02 AM
    I don't think I have any third party applications on my phone.
    I wouldn't even know where to find them to begin with--aside from the FaceBook App. I found randomly that came with my phone.
    03-24-09 12:10 AM
    It seems like I'm going to have to reinstall the OS.
    I've been looking for searching for hours and that, thus far is the one thing I haven't tried.
    03-24-09 08:40 AM
    Yeah... re-install OS... that is strange,,, what is the name of the theme you are using right now?
    03-24-09 08:44 AM
    I had this same exact thing happen to my BB. I have plenty of third-party apps and a third-party theme, but I have not added or changed anything in at least a week. My first guess was the leaked Facebook 1.5, but it does not sound like you had that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 09:00 AM
    I'm using the default Precision theme.
    I just don't understand why I'm encountering this problem if I've never installed anything...
    03-24-09 12:06 PM
    Try a battery pull.
    03-24-09 12:09 PM
    I have
    Multiple times.
    It starts up just fine then after a second or two the same error message comes up
    Uncaught Exception Java.lang.NullPointerException
    03-24-09 12:12 PM
    I still think you have a 3rd party theme and/or app on the phone that is causing the problem.

You can try to re-install the OS or upgrade the OS at this point. For the upgrade procedure, check my signature.
    03-24-09 12:22 PM
    Well, whatever the problem was, after re-installing the OS [and freaking out plenty when I thought I did something wrong] the problem resolved itself...
    03-24-09 07:46 PM
    I agree wit might be a app that's causing this problem just uninstall and see what happens

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-09 09:44 PM
    Well, whatever the problem was, after re-installing the OS [and freaking out plenty when I thought I did something wrong] the problem resolved itself...
    Glad you got it sorted out.
    03-24-09 10:26 PM

Sometimes that is all it takes
    03-25-09 08:26 AM
    I just purchased to storms. I downloaded the CB app Store client on both BB.When I try to run the CB app on both phones I get the "UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION:JAVA.LANG.ERROR. I have tried all of the solutions that were posted. But I my BB still come up with the same error. Now my friend also has a BB storm and the CB app works on his phone. I changed and save all of my settings to "AlloW" and also changed the compatibilty setting. Also did the ol remove the battery trick 4x too.Still no luck. I would appreciate some help. thanks
    04-09-09 10:47 PM
    I just purchased to storms. I downloaded the CB app Store client on both BB.When I try to run the CB app on both phones I get the "UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION:JAVA.LANG.ERROR. I have tried all of the solutions that were posted. But I my BB still come up with the same error. Now my friend also has a BB storm and the CB app works on his phone. I changed and save all of my settings to "AlloW" and also changed the compatibilty setting. Also did the ol remove the battery trick 4x too.Still no luck. I would appreciate some help. thanks
    I had the same problem before, try to pull out the SD card, and restart your BB, this trick working for me.
    afterword, I just reformat my SD card, and refill it with all media files
    04-09-09 11:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD