I think I have a memory leak. I was down to about 7mb of free memory. So I deleted a whole bunch of unused apps & cleared my caches. Then I had about 22mb of free memory. I would occasionally check it & it would go down 2-3mb every 30 min or so. Then recently I was down to 12mb. So I took out my memory card & it sprung back up to 22mb. So I'm assuming something is wrong w/ my memory card or a file on it. Anyone have some ideas on how to fix this?
    08-03-09 09:11 PM
    I think I have a memory leak. I was down to about 7mb of free memory. So I deleted a whole bunch of unused apps & cleared my caches. Then I had about 22mb of free memory. I would occasionally check it & it would go down 2-3mb every 30 min or so. Then recently I was down to 12mb. So I took out my memory card & it sprung back up to 22mb. So I'm assuming something is wrong w/ my memory card or a file on it. Anyone have some ideas on how to fix this?
    Your memory card has nothing to do with it as it is just a storage drive for your media and documents. What apps do you currently have on your device? What OS are you running? Did this just start happening all of a sudden? Did you download a new app then this started happening? Need a lot more info to try and help you out. Also have you gotten rid of all the sample media and preloaded programs that you dont need/use?
    08-03-09 09:28 PM
    Well, I wouldn't know why the memory would come back after taking the memory card out. Then when I put it back in it was back to 22mb, but has dropped 2mb since. It's been like this all the time, I just haven't paid much attention to it recently until it hit almost 6mb!

I am running 4.5.077...all apps I run are the runs that have to stay running.
    08-03-09 09:30 PM
    Well, I wouldn't know why the memory would come back after taking the memory card out. Then when I put it back in it was back to 22mb, but has dropped 2mb since. It's been like this all the time, I just haven't paid much attention to it recently until it hit almost 6mb!

I am running 4.5.077...all apps I run are the runs that have to stay running.
    Your memory card is under your battery, so you have to pull your battery out to get to your card. This performs a reset, aka "battery pull". I would dump .77 and load .160 which runs awesome and has much better memory management. .77 is a pretty old OS.

In terms of your apps, what do you have? Some apps eat through more memory than others like viigo, meatherbug, twitter apps, etc. The more you have running the more memory will be used. Also if you are using apps that auto update like viigo or a weather app that will cause more drain too.

If you wanna test apps for leaks the best thing to do is remove them all and reload one by one testing in between.

You can also use CrackMem and/or Shrink-A-OS to get rid of preloaded programs and languages, etc that you dont need/use. You can use BBFileScout to get rid of sample media and ringtones you dont use.

Edit: You can alos check out the How to Increase File Free thread in my sig
    08-03-09 09:39 PM
    The only ones that would auto update are probably UberTwitter, WeatherBug Direct & YouMail Visual Voicemail. I only run WeatherBug 24/7... Is the .160 OS official?
    08-03-09 09:41 PM
    The only ones that would auto update are probably UberTwitter, WeatherBug Direct & YouMail Visual Voicemail. I only run WeatherBug 24/7... Is the .160 OS official?
    Setting these to manual update, if available, that can help on memory management. .160 is an official release as are all "leaked" OS's. It is from another carrier but all you have to do is remove the vendor file in the OS and you are good to go.

You can learn more by checking out the BB 101 Lecture Series (link in my sig) if you havent read that, you should. It is a wealth of information. I would recommend you also read the Memory Optimization thread in my sig like i said before.
    08-03-09 09:46 PM
    OK thanks. I'll check those out. It has went down 5mb now, & it's only been an hour max!
    08-03-09 09:54 PM
    When you make a bookmark in the BB browser be sure to uncheck "available offline" which is stupidly the default. If you don't the BB downloads the webpage to keep it current and the cache eats up memory quickly.
    08-04-09 12:15 AM
    ubertwitter sucks the life out of your memory if you leave that running and it doesn't give it back when you shut the program either.
    08-04-09 06:49 AM
    I just downloaded the .160 OS (Im on sprint) and so far it's great, I couldnt send pics in a Text before but now I can with this new OS
    08-05-09 02:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD