Hello all! Big problem with my 8900. My media player does not show any songs or artists or albums. It just shows (unknown). I have been searching here and "around" and have found some info but it didn't solve my problem. I read about deleting "BBthumbs.DAT" from the memory card (I assume all instances of) then re-inserting the card and not opening the media player until it updates on it's own. I tried it in the explore function of the BB and it didn't help at all. Today I pulled my sd card and stuck it in my desktop, searched and found 91 instances of the BBthumbs, I deleted them all, added some more music. I put the card back and left the phone for about an hour to make sure it was long enough. I got some music to show, but it was less than half. I did a soft reset (alt+shift+delete) and now there is nothing again. I need help bad!!!

Oh, I have an ATT branded 8900, and a 8gb sandisk microSD. My music is all mp3s and mostly at 320mbps. Thanks!
    08-16-09 09:14 PM
    This is purely a guess but perhaps ot doesn't like the fact that yer copying from yer laptop to the card directly. Maybe it wants a program to sync it. I had a similar issue where I would copy songs in winamp and then the old songs would disappear and I had to fiddle with the settings and stuff. WMP syncs perfectly for me tho.

Not sure if that's gonna help but ya never know...good luck
    08-16-09 09:42 PM
    Wow WD, seems like your media player doesn't like you too much! But now that I look back there is an unknown album in my files and I have no clue of why. Great! Now I'm looking into it! No, iz 2 late for that but I shall check back in the Am! Good luck getting the Music back on!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-09 09:49 PM
    Hmm. I have been dragging/dropping them. I have never synced anything. I will give it a try. I normally just plug in the cord to the phone and go to pc hard drive mode. I only took it out today to eliminate any variables. What is weird is that it worked fine when I only had a couple gigs on there. It's still not full. I think it's at like 4-5gig. I will try syncing the music onto the card through the phone tomorrow. Will doing that just overwrite what I already have?
    08-16-09 09:54 PM
    Try sync them threw windows media player and see maybe that's the issue your having. I always drag/drop and it has worked perfect for me. Good luck buddy.

08-16-09 10:01 PM
    Alright so I deleted all the BBthumbs again, this time with the card in the phone. Then I turned the phone off (after safely removing hardware). I left it off for a few minutes then restarted it. I guess I should let it sit before looking in the media player. I'll probly just leave it on over night. If this doesn't work I plan to format the card, then attempt to sync some music back onto it. I don't have time to do that tonight, writing 4-5 gigs would take a while. Wish me luck ya'll!
    08-17-09 10:37 PM
    Ok so today I have just a little music showing, just like last time. I think the music has something to do with it. Can anyone explain the tags deal to me? I read a little about it and problems with it, but no one has had the problems I'm having.

08-18-09 09:44 AM
    Alright got my sh!t working. All other ideas did not affect the problem. I started thinking about it. Why are these 5 or 6 files still showing? I had deleted all music files that were not burned by me on my computer, and I didn't know where these few files were located. They were called "charge beam shot" and other short names. They were ring tones that I had downloaded from this site! Something screwed up during the download of each and they were all unrecognized codecs and very small files. I figured it wouldn't be loosing anything to erase them, so I did. Then I erased all instances of BBthumbs, and let it sit for a long time (again). BAM. All the music back (that I haven't erased)! Feels good to have this problem finally fixed. Felt pretty dumb having a "smart" phone of this size that couldn't play mp3s! Apparently little broken files can cause this. Hope this helps someone else one day! Cheers!
    08-22-09 01:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD