Hi all,

Just have my 8900 a few days now, nice piece however I'm unable to access or format the media card, and the device fails to recognize that it is installed. I get this message, "Media card cannot be read." Verify that the memory card is formatted."

Media Card support is on
    Mass storage mode is on
    Mass storage mode when connected is on

When I click on Install Media Card and then save nothing changes. When I try to format the card, it goes through the motions then tells me "Media Card Format Failed."

Attached to my PC via cable the 8900 shows up as Removable Drive F: but again does not recognize the card and says, "Please insert a disk in Drive F:"

I've taken the card out and reinstalled it several times and done the same with the battery to no avail.

I have 16GB card on the way as a replacement for the factory 256mb card, however it would be nice to work this out sooner then later. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
    02-27-09 05:18 AM
    I had the same problem when I got my 16GB card. Unfortunately I do not remember how I solved it. I think I stuck the card into an SD-card adapter, plugged the SD-card into my PC and formatted it there. Afterwards, I stuck the microSD card into my BB and it worked. I am "quite" sure that this was how I solved it but not completely. Only thing I can say for sure is that I had the same problem and could fix it somehow. Hope that either 1) my procedure described above works for you or that 2) at least you don't loose hope.
    02-27-09 05:30 AM
    Does your 8900 recognize the 256mb card?
    02-27-09 06:35 AM
    Hi, I had the same problem, I had one card that was being read but two others it would not. I finally got one of the other cards to work, when I slide it in I kind of nudged the bottom corner of the card upwards and then it read it. Strange but its almost as if the contacts were not lining up properly but now it works fine.
    02-27-09 07:09 AM
    I just received the 16GB Scan Disk card, installed it, formatted it and the device recognized it with no issues, a good thing but strange. Seems that the 256mb that came with the phone was/ is a dud, oh well.
    02-28-09 01:32 PM
    I just got my new 8GB card and got it working with no problem.

Make sure you have it in all the way. Just because the latch snaps in doesnt mean the card is in correctly.
    02-28-09 04:22 PM
    That issue being dealt with; now how do I "default all media" to the SD-card instead of the application/ on-board memory?

Thanks in advance...
    03-01-09 12:16 PM
    i took the standard 1gb memory card from a previous 8900 curve and when i attempted to use it in another 8900 curve i had the message "media card cannot be read. make sure that the memory card has been formatted". but when i attmepted to format the memory card using my bb it kept failing. but i cannot use the sd adapter to format using the laptop because my laptop wont recognize it either.
    any advice?
    09-12-09 09:01 PM
    This happened to me, occasioanally a micro sd card will stop working. I just took my card out and had a little trouble getting it back in, must have cracked it inside somewhere. Luckily I was within the 30 day return window. So if your computer and your BB don't read it, its probably shot from what I've been able to ascertain from the web.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD