Anyone else think so? I really need higher res, so i might switch to the bold for t-mobile
    06-01-10 12:31 AM
    I think its fine...
    06-01-10 12:36 AM
    I think its fine...
    ya i guess because its entry level, but u can see the difference if u compare it to other bbs like the trackball 8900 and even the pearl 3g has better res
    06-01-10 12:44 AM
    I compared the 8530 to the tour before I decided on the 8530 because of the wifi and trackpad. It really depends on what you need. I need wifi more than screen res, and I didn't want to pay $199 and wait for the new Bold.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-01-10 02:34 AM
    ya i guess because its entry level, but u can see the difference if u compare it to other bbs like the trackball 8900 and even the pearl 3g has better res

See there's that entry level **** again, I'm gonna start beating sense into peoples heads...grrr

06-01-10 03:04 AM
    I was warned of this before I got my 8520, truth is the screen is amazing and you can't even see the pixels which is good enough for me.

Better screen than 90% of the phones on the market at a guess!
    06-01-10 04:12 AM
    Eugh ! I hate when people call this BB entry level !
    The 8520 can do what any other BB on the higher market can do aswell !
    (Minus the 3G & GPS)
    Referring back to your question , yes if you compare the screen to other BB's you can see the difference ,
    But on its own the display is very bright & clear , you cannot see any pixels and if you compare the screen to some of some major phones , you'd find the 8520 beats them .
    The screen isn't as bad as some reviews claim it to be , I find if you use the brightest setting , the phone looks lovely

06-01-10 04:59 AM
    The resolution of the phone is probably the lowest out of the modern BB phones. But it has better resolution than any other phones.
    06-01-10 05:44 AM
    The resolution of the phone is probably the lowest out of the modern BB phones. But it has better resolution than any other phones.
    +1

Smaller screen than most phones but a high res, just right for this style phone I feel.

If the screen was any bigger then you wouldn't get the lovely full Qwerty keyboard on there!
    06-01-10 06:24 AM
    The screen looks great. When I compare it side by side to a 9700, the only real difference is the 9700 is brighter. Yes the 9700 is also a higher resolution but it's not that much to be a dealbreaker for the 8520. The 8520 still has a nicer screen than most phones out there.
    06-01-10 06:25 AM
    If you're gonna be holding another bb up against your phone every time you use it, then it may be a deal breaker. The phone is great anyways. If you want GPS and 3G get an 8530.

06-01-10 06:26 AM
    Do you wanna really know where you'll see the low res screen? Here it is:

- Default theme's App List;
    - AppWorld

Everything else works as good, as nice as other berries. It's not as sharp, and not as bright. But it's a frigging 2.4' screen. Why does ANYONE need such a tiny screen to be soooo high res?

Need high res? Get a bigger screen!
    06-01-10 08:32 AM
    thanks everyone for the replies, now i wont think about the res too much until i get the bold in about a month because my contract is expiring (hate touch screen phones btw). AND the 85xx IS entry level (build quality, no flash, lower megapix, LOWER RES, less memory,) especially considering that it was the first released in the "touchpad" era of bbs, but is a great package for the price you pay especially for cdma carriers. Sadly my mom loves t-mobile,

ughh, can't wait to get a job
    Last edited by agestyxracer; 06-01-10 at 07:36 PM.
    06-01-10 07:30 PM
    The res wasn't a deal breaker, I went from the 9630 to the 8530 and had no problems. The only place I find it a problem is if you view a lot of large images that require reading. You have to pan around to view them, since if you zoom out often they are too small.

The 8530 doesn't have less memory, unless you're talking about the 1gb internal storage, which doesn't really do anything (just get a memory card) and doesn't count as actual app memory.
    06-01-10 07:37 PM
    The res wasn't a deal breaker, I went from the 9630 to the 8530 and had no problems. The only place I find it a problem is if you view a lot of large images that require reading. You have to pan around to view them, since if you zoom out often they are too small.

The 8530 doesn't have less memory, unless you're talking about the 1gb internal storage, which doesn't really do anything (just get a memory card) and doesn't count as actual app memory.
    sorry i meant slower cpu processor, but then does anyone know what the 256 MB RAM does for a bb? i know that it speeds up computer performance, so what does ram do for a bb?

heres the specs im reading on the 9700 (see under memory>internal; the 85xx doesn't even have ram)
    BlackBerry Bold 9700 - Full phone specifications
    BlackBerry Curve 8520 - Full phone specifications

btw im comparing the 8520 to all touchpad only bbs
    Last edited by agestyxracer; 06-01-10 at 08:12 PM.
    06-01-10 08:04 PM
    The memory is used for application installation and running.

The CDMA bb's have lower mhz cpu's in general, but the 8530 is plenty fast since it has the latest qualcomm chip, similar to the S2. This also provides opengl support which gsm doesn't have.
    06-01-10 08:09 PM
    wow really? I just realized that the 8530 is alot better than the 8520
    06-01-10 08:18 PM
    Yeah, the 8530 has several advantages.

Supposedly a 3g Curve is going to hit GSM though (particularly tmobile), fairly soon i would assume.
    06-01-10 08:19 PM
    yeahh, id still get the bold considering its only 50 bucks now with a new contract. Will any other bbs come out in the 4th quarter for t-mobile?
    06-01-10 08:26 PM
    Hard to say. Nobody knows the unannounced schedule for the BB's, that's a bit too far off.
    06-01-10 08:27 PM
    yeah, i guess its the bold from here on out. don't like 3g pearl's suretype keyboard, and id rather pick the bold over the slider
    06-01-10 08:32 PM
    Eugh ! I hate when people call this BB entry level !
    The 8520 can do what any other BB on the higher market can do aswell !
    (Minus the 3G & GPS)
    LOL that is what makes it low end.

That's like saying 'My house is as nice as yours except that it's smaller, darker, infested by rats and located in a known crack den'.
    06-02-10 03:18 AM

That's like saying 'My house is as nice as yours except that it's smaller, darker, infested by rats and located in a known crack den'.
    There is a slight marging or error in your comparison... say... 230%?

The reason 8530's are 3G/GPS enabled (and the rev is slower than the other devices btw, but you don't see me bragging "low end!!" on that because it wouldn't be fair) is because the CDMA processor used has that built in. As in, cheaper processor.

Still: 8530 and the 8520 perform greatly, so it's unfair to state low-end. I agree on entry level. They are ment to get people on the Berry Band. The more, the marrier.

But low-end... 83xx, 81xx, 88xx.. those would be the today's low end devices. Slower processors, 64mb memory, stuck on 4.5 OS, no support for SDHC card...

Btw, the Pearl 3G is supposed to be entry level. Does it make it low end as well? Because so far that's what I see people doing: low end = entry level.

Do I make sense people?
    06-02-10 08:09 AM

You're saying because it doesn't have GPS (which I have no need for anyway) and no 3G it's entry level? Sir, I believe you're wrong.
    06-02-10 09:23 AM
    Exactly- Less features = Entry level.

That doesn't mean it's not the right phone for you though, but it is definitely entry level.

I have a Toyota Corolla and it's the perfect car for me, price-wise and gas mileage-wise. That doesn't mean that I don't recognize that it is entry level compared to the Lexus Flagship line above it.
    06-02-10 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD