I lost my BB 8900 on 7/14/2010 after ONLY 9 months with it. I don't have insurance on it (def not gonna' happen again) and the following are my concerns:
    - I am worried that my information can be accessed, what happens after the password attempts are exhausted?
    - Is there anyway to track the phone?
    - Which is a better option that's closest to the 8900 (since T-Mobile does not carry the 8900 anymore ), the BB 8520 or Bold 9700?

Thank you for any advice!
    07-16-10 09:20 AM
    1. After the passord attempts are exhausted (usually after 10 tries) then the phone locks the use out completely, there is no way to get into the phone after that.
    2. No, currently there is no way to track the phone. BlackBerry is about to launch a new service called BlackBerry Protect, which would allow you to track a lost/stolen device, but it's going to be in beta testing for a while, and there is no time frame for public launch.
    3. The Bold 9700 is going to be the direction you want to go, especially if you had the 8900. The Bold and the 8900 share the same screen and camera, plus the 9700 is 3G, so you'll get those nice, fast data speeds.

Sorry to hear about your device!
    07-16-10 09:29 AM
    Just to add that after the 10 unsuccessful password attempts, the device does not lock. The device is wiped of all the information and is then blank. But it's not locked.

The person will (unfortunately) be able to use the device after that on a GSM carrier. But they will not have access to your data.

In addition to the future tracking option noted above, you can put SmrtGuard (free) on your new device and then you will be able to track it remotely should this happen again.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 07-16-10 at 09:34 AM.
    07-16-10 09:31 AM
    Just to add that after the 10 unsuccessful password attempts, the device does not lock. The device is wiped of all the information and is then blank. But it's not locked.

The person will (unfortunately) be able to use the device after that on a GSM carrier. But they will not have access to your data.

In addition to the future tracking option noted above, you can put SmrtGuard (free) on your new device and then you will be able to track it remotely should this happen again.
    Thanks for the clairification Mama, I will take note of this stuff for future reference! I didn't know that it just wiped the device, I thought it locked you out.

I had considered SmrtGuard, but didn't think about mentioning it since the device was already lost, good call on putting it on the new device.
    07-16-10 09:37 AM
    Thank you Elvin1983 and Motorcycle Mama!

I am planning on going vacation in a few months to the Caribbean for a month, would I have to have the phone unlocked or simply get a phone from there?
    07-16-10 09:42 AM
    Thank you Elvin1983 and Motorcycle Mama!

I am planning on going vacation in a few months to the Caribbean for a month, would I have to have the phone unlocked or simply get a phone from there?
    If you are getting another BlackBerry, you would need to have it unlocked so you could use a local prepaid SIM card in the countries you visit.

If you do not want to take your BlackBerry with you, you could stop in a local shop and purchase a cheap prepaid phone when you arrive at your destination.

I would not recommend buying a BlackBerry there, unlocking it and bringing it back to the US.
    07-16-10 10:02 AM
    You don't say what country you are in, but your TMobile plan likely does not cover you in the Caribbean.

You will need to get the device unlocked and then either get a international plan that covers that area. Or you can get a local SIM down there. If you want data down there and not just voice and text, you should research the options before you go.
    07-16-10 10:03 AM
    You don't say what country you are in, but your TMobile plan likely does not cover you in the Caribbean.

You will need to get the device unlocked and then either get a international plan that covers that area. Or you can get a local SIM down there. If you want data down there and not just voice and text, you should research the options before you go.
    Right now I am in NY...does remembering the pin for the bb help with anything? I know I am picking at a sore...really having a hard time letting go of the fact that I actually lost a phone from my own negligence!!!
    07-18-10 10:42 PM
    Remembering the PIN is of no consequence. No US carrier will block or blacklist a
    phone regardless of the amount of device information you provide. Chalk it up as a
    lesson learned, follow the advice given above and move on. I know it sucks but there
    really is nothing else you can do at this point.
    07-18-10 11:00 PM
    ~sigh~ thank you Amazinglygraceless...I know you are absolutly right :'(
    07-19-10 12:01 AM

- Which is a better option that's closest to the 8900 (since T-Mobile does not carry the 8900 anymore ), the BB 8520 or Bold 9700?
    You could always buy an 8900 on the used market.
    07-19-10 12:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD