I'm so frustrated! I just got my blackberry last month, have barely had a chance to sign up for insurance or the FindIt software as I have a very busy schedule plus I procrastinate. I of course lost the phone, and had it deactivated. So I called AT&T and they said there's nothing they can do because Blackberry isn't covered under the insurance they provide. So I try calling Blackberry customer service but they want to charge JUST FOR THE CALL! I just want to know is it WORTH being charged for the cust. service? Will they really help me or will they just tell me tough luck, buy another one? I mean, isnt' there some sort of warranty that I'm still covered under after only a month? Please help I want my BB back!
    03-17-08 07:02 AM
    I don't think BB would replace a lost phone. The warranty is for defective phones so I would say a new purchase would be necessary.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-08 07:06 AM
    You lost the phone and you expect them to replace it under some sort of "warranty?"

Warranty applies to defective products. There was nothing wrong with the BB. You lost it, and since you neglected to buy insurance, you're going to have to pay to replace it.

Sometimes the questions on this site are beyond preposterous.
    03-17-08 08:03 AM
    I lost my wallet! I demand that the US Mint replace all the money that was inside it!!!!!!

03-17-08 08:27 AM
    Sarcasm aside, (cuz it's too easy) RIM's warranty is only for defective, and sometimes damaged devices. Loss is not covered, and I believe rightfully so.
    03-17-08 08:32 AM
    Sucks that you lost it man. I keep mine in arms reach at all times, and I'm always checking to make sure I have it. Unfortunately it does seem like you will have to pay for a new one. Sorry man.

Btw is it just me, or did srtpointman and dag99's replies seem a little harsh?
    03-17-08 08:34 AM
    No, at&t are not going to give you a new phone because you lost it. Bite the bullet and get a new berry. You know you want to. Protect your berry at all cost!!
    03-17-08 08:36 AM
    yikes! that stinks you lost your berry!

unfortunatly im going to have to go with everyone else here and say your stink out of luck with the warranty insurance issue. no way are they going to give you a new bberry because you lost it... that's not their fault. :/

get a new one and guard it with your life...
    03-17-08 08:48 AM
    Wouldn't it be great it life worked that way though? "Hello, Mercedes dealership? I got really drunk last night and I can't find my Benz, can you send over another one?"

Sorry for your loss, on the bright side, maybe you can get a shinier newer one now!
    03-17-08 08:58 AM
    It sucks but the one thing you should never play around with is insurance!
    03-17-08 09:29 AM
    you can find a good deal on the web for a BB or you are just going to pay the full price. But you must get your berry back. it's a must!!!!!!!
    03-17-08 09:44 AM
    As a police officer let me tell you how this works.

Most insurance companies..."require" one to have a police report to use the insurance.

Other companies will have one pay a cost to help leviate the cost of the phone.

Most people do not, not intended against you, do not lose their phone.

Alot of people will lose their phone and say someone stole it. I see it all the time.

Insurance for most cell phone companies..."DO NOT" cover any type of PDA, Windows, Blackberry, SmartPhone devices.

They are to cost worthy to just allow one to say I lost my phone, and get another one. Then one sells the the phone they "STOLE" from the cell company.

If you lost a watch that you just bought from walmart, would you take the receipt back to them and tell them you lost it? Would you then expect them to replace the watch? (that is what you want to happen for you here...NO!)

Like what was mentioned above this is to easy to leave a sarcastic comment, you opened the door... You sleep on the bed you make. (unless your a maid!)

You can though, however, purchase insurance through private companies, homeowner policies and such.

Just remeber, you will pay a deductable, and any time you make a claim you risk being dropped, after the first.

Is it worth you paying a $200.00 deductable for a $400.00 phone, this is just an example, I don't know what they charge...

What you do need to do is stop procrastinating, and "MAKE" time in your busy schedule to do the things that will protect your phone...

Best of luck,

msblueline
    03-17-08 10:20 AM
    You pay for what you get.....and you don't get what you don't pay for
    Check the forums. Their are always someone selling a berry on here. I purchased my 1st berry on ebay and the other for my wife from at&t.
    03-17-08 10:39 AM
    The one downside to this insurance is this note on thier website:

Note: When filing for a replacement on a month to month contract, you will be charged for the remainder of the contract length and will have to pay the deductible before a replacement is sent out.

That means that if you lose or damage your BB, 8310 for example, you will be out $192.60 on a 24 month contract before they wll send a replacement.
    (24 months X $5.15 plus $69.00 deductible) Of course if you don't lose it or damage it, you are out $123.60 anyway. I may regret my decision someday but over the course of 15 years or so that I have had a cell phone, I would have paid approximately $900 for insurance that, so far, I have not needed.
    When I take into consideration that my wife has also had a phone for the same amount of time, I would have paid aproximately $1800. For that reason, I have always chosen not to insure phones. At this point, if I had to buy a new Curve tomorrow, I would still come out ahead. While a Blackberry is an expensive purchase, it's not like a car or house. Just my thoughts for what they are worth.
    Last edited by crimsontide; 03-17-08 at 06:43 PM.
    03-17-08 02:28 PM
    What are your thoughts on phone insurance?
    03-17-08 07:29 PM
    The quickest way to resolve this problem would be to go out an buy a new one. This way you are not left alone empty handed witout your BB. You do not have to call crappy customer service and wait hours just for them to say they can't help you.Take it as a lost and get another one, obviously you really like the phone, otherwise you wouldn't have posted a thread. So get a new one and have fun with it.

just my 2 cents
    03-17-08 07:34 PM
    yeah theyre not gonna do anything for you. ur gonna have to buy a new one. sry
    03-17-08 10:13 PM
    As much as we love our berries ... the phone companies have us right where they want us when it comes to loss/damage: most don't offer insurance because they are banking on our misfortune.

They know we will fork up the $$ because we can't be without. And if you purchased using the new contract price - you get to pay nearly double for your replacement.

That said, I'd fork up in a nano second if something happened to my curve!!!
    03-18-08 02:17 AM
    Just a fyi, if and when you do buy another bb, be sure to get your insurance from a outside agency because At&t does not insure BB

03-18-08 02:36 AM
    P.S I'm sorry for your lost

03-18-08 02:38 AM
    I tried getting insurance for it. They don't insure blackberry's or PDA's for that matter, atleast its what sprint told me. The warranty covers defects or failures OF the device. Lost or stollen isn't something they cover because in all fairness it was your fault completely...

And yeah some people were kinda rude with their replies....
    03-18-08 04:08 AM
    If you just recently got it, you should be covered by the trial plan...so pay for the activation fee, pay for the time/minutes used then open a second # under your current account, your BB might be only 90 bucks( they cost that much at best buy with 2 year plan) once you've done this close your other number and pretty much all you'll pay is 90 up front and the new contract fee at the end of the month....you will pay though for the activation fee and minutes used on your old plan, so you're looking at about 200 bucks with everything included- new bb also =\
    03-18-08 04:11 AM
    calling customer service should not be an option. Most likely you'll be paying 1.99 a minute and as soon as you call you'll be put on hold for 10, and more holding and more holding until they got quite a bit of money, then they'll say" sorry we don't cover lost, hold on please" more holding, more money for more holdings " thank you for your patience, as i was saying we don't cover lost items."
    03-18-08 04:12 AM
    Brute, Sprint does cover BB, Right before thanksgiving I lost my BB ( I know, I know) and it was replaced asap, I did however have to pay a $50 deductable which is standard.

03-18-08 04:21 AM
    Just a fyi, if and when you do buy another bb, be sure to get your insurance from a outside agency because At&t does not insure BB

At&t does cover some BB's...the list is floating around here somewhere.

And on a side note......

Some 'private' insurance companies..."Wireless Safeguard" for instance, is some type of brother/sister company of At&t and they would not insure my 8320 (which I am using on At&t)...because it is NOT a At&t phone.

Someone here on it said it the best...in the loonnng run...its just not worth it.

Take care of your BB is the bottom line.
    03-18-08 10:10 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD