I'm looking into getting a 8900. I was having dinner in the mall (love me some California Pizza Kitchen ) and I came across this device. I love the size of it. I did love the Bold, but this seems like a perfect "throw in the pocket" device.

My question...how is this device on AT&T? When it's unlocked, does it have the "my favs" interface and all tmobile junk? Just curious to know what it all looks like running on AT&T and has anyone found any problems with the device running on AT&T.

Thanks in advance.
    03-15-09 12:07 AM
    The 8900 runs great on AT&T. Since you need to get the phone unlocked and then need the AT&T service books, the MyFavs will not show up. Those come through the T-mobile service books.
    03-15-09 12:56 AM
    The 8900 runs great on AT&T. Since you need to get the phone unlocked and then need the AT&T service books, the MyFavs will not show up. Those come through the T-mobile service books.
    I understand. Sounds simple enough. I guess once the phone is unlocked, you go on the device and "resend service books" you go to correct? How are you liking the device running on at&t? Worth it? I know about the non 3G, processor speed stuff but your thoughts?

Do you get at&t navi and there stuff once you resend the service books?
    03-15-09 01:06 AM
    any other people having rogers/tmobile branded 8900 on AT&T with input? looking for some positive feedback before I pull the trigger.
    03-15-09 10:58 AM
    Hey Map, this really doesnt help your question but did you know that the 8900 is in testing with At&t right now. Hopefully there will be a release within the next 30-60 days.
    03-15-09 11:18 AM
    Hey Map, this really doesnt help your question but did you know that the 8900 is in testing with At&t right now. Hopefully there will be a release within the next 30-60 days.
    Hey garz, man this device has been in testing for months with them and still no confirmation dates in the horizon. I've had the Bold so I wanted to give the 8900 a test run too. Saw it yesterday and loved the size.
    03-15-09 11:28 AM
    Hey garz, man this device has been in testing for months with them and still no confirmation dates in the horizon. I've had the Bold so I wanted to give the 8900 a test run too. Saw it yesterday and loved the size.

They really only have been testing it hard for the past 5 weeks or so. It was when .152 came out.
    03-15-09 11:31 AM
    Good info, Garz. Thanks for the update! And they're probably on 186 now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 11:48 AM
    I myself have been debating whether or not if I should wait for the At&t 8900. Or just go ahead and buy an unlocked one. What to do, what to do
    03-15-09 12:38 PM
    I'm looking into getting a 8900. I was having dinner in the mall (love me some California Pizza Kitchen ) and I came across this device. I love the size of it. I did love the Bold, but this seems like a perfect "throw in the pocket" device.

My question...how is this device on AT&T? When it's unlocked, does it have the "my favs" interface and all tmobile junk? Just curious to know what it all looks like running on AT&T and has anyone found any problems with the device running on AT&T.

Thanks in advance.
    OH OH. Are you coming back to BB land Map?
    03-15-09 12:40 PM
    I myself have been debating whether or not if I should wait for the At&t 8900. Or just go ahead and buy an unlocked one. What to do, what to do
    I would wait for the ATT one for a while longer.
    03-15-09 12:41 PM
    Run extremely well in canada on the network. Speed test shows about 100k download speed and much faster on wifi. Go buy it my friend! Best investment I made in a while!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 12:41 PM
    it the best on att
    03-15-09 12:45 PM
    Please, can you keep your post shorter and not give out so much info.
    03-15-09 01:00 PM
    I would wait for the ATT one for a while longer.
    The key thing is how much longer lol
    03-15-09 01:15 PM
    I understand. Sounds simple enough. I guess once the phone is unlocked, you go on the device and "resend service books" you go to correct? How are you liking the device running on at&t? Worth it? I know about the non 3G, processor speed stuff but your thoughts?

Do you get at&t navi and there stuff once you resend the service books?
    I know the processor speed as well as the additional on-board memory really does make a big difference. I was pleasantly surprised with my 8900s response speed when I got it as compared to the Bold I had at the time. I really do love my 8900, it is great and the enhanced EDGE is awesome.

You are right on with the service books, that will get you all setup.
    03-15-09 01:31 PM
    hey, if AT&T service works good for you then this device will too! the biggest loss against the 9000 is obviously the 3G. But, AT&T's EDGE does seem to do fairly well though over the next 1-2 years they will want people off of it as more 3G capable devices are available.

So, you're cool with 2G, what else is different? well, you maintain the stand alone Wi-Fi and GPS, both excellent. you move into the RIM next generation design--i.e. the 3.2MP camera and the micro USB connector. The camera is actually really nice, i don't consider the Bold camera very worthwhile because it is 2MP without autofocus. adding 1.2 more MP, autofocus, and a nice LED flash the 8900 takes solid pictures. i love that it is the first BB to have a worthwhile camera (excl. Storm).

The USB port and headphone jack are now on the right side of the device, i can't say it really matters but i've been really used to having them on the left side, lol. Oh, and you get the little lock button on the top of the device in addition to the mute button! a simple add but definitely very handy.

Size and weight, the 8900 feels super light and tiny compared to the Bold. it will take getting used to. both keyboards are very nice, it's a toss up which one i like better sometimes

Processor: there is also a difference here with the Bold, but, i really only notice it when it comes to playing multimedia. The Bold can play H264 encoded mp4's, this is evidently too much for the 8900 to handle so i revert to simple xvid mp4s. Not that big of a deal just annoying that i can't use the same mobile formatted files for all my devices. as for audio, if you play music/video without the headphones the Bold has better sound. The 8900 sound is better than the 83XX series but the Bold probably has the best audio of any mobile device i've ever used.

So, what about unlocking one or buying one unlocked, or waiting until AT&T gets it? Well, it's certainly not hard to send service books or enter the APN information so don't be afraid of that. i'd say the biggest thing is cost and i dont know if that's a factor to you. as for AT&T getting the 8900, i'm not up on that rumor mill but i personally dont see it happening--now that AT&T is on the 3G BB road i don't see them turning back. perhaps a new device that is similar to the 8900 but has 3G. from a carrier standpoint 3G data gives at least double the capacity as EDGE at half the cost.

Anyways, if you're already rockin' a Bold on AT&T the 8900 is really just a step sideways overall. there are some trade offs that i've mentioned so i guess if you evaluate them as to what is most important to you then perhaps it is a definitive step forward or backward.

my opinion, i can't decide, lol. i like them both and keep switching between them! let us know what you think if you go for it.
    03-15-09 01:40 PM
    OH OH. Are you coming back to BB land Map?
    I am I am. Just made a deal with a CB member. I will be back this week and getting to my theme creations once again.
    03-15-09 01:48 PM
    I know the processor speed as well as the additional on-board memory really does make a big difference. I was pleasantly surprised with my 8900s response speed when I got it as compared to the Bold I had at the time. I really do love my 8900, it is great and the enhanced EDGE is awesome.

You are right on with the service books, that will get you all setup.
    Awesome, thanks man for the input.

hey, if AT&T service works good for you then this device will too! the biggest loss against the 9000 is obviously the 3G. But, AT&T's EDGE does seem to do fairly well though over the next 1-2 years they will want people off of it as more 3G capable devices are available.

So, you're cool with 2G, what else is different? well, you maintain the stand alone Wi-Fi and GPS, both excellent. you move into the RIM next generation design--i.e. the 3.2MP camera and the micro USB connector. The camera is actually really nice, i don't consider the Bold camera very worthwhile because it is 2MP without autofocus. adding 1.2 more MP, autofocus, and a nice LED flash the 8900 takes solid pictures. i love that it is the first BB to have a worthwhile camera (excl. Storm).

The USB port and headphone jack are now on the right side of the device, i can't say it really matters but i've been really used to having them on the left side, lol. Oh, and you get the little lock button on the top of the device in addition to the mute button! a simple add but definitely very handy.

Size and weight, the 8900 feels super light and tiny compared to the Bold. it will take getting used to. both keyboards are very nice, it's a toss up which one i like better sometimes

Processor: there is also a difference here with the Bold, but, i really only notice it when it comes to playing multimedia. The Bold can play H264 encoded mp4's, this is evidently too much for the 8900 to handle so i revert to simple xvid mp4s. Not that big of a deal just annoying that i can't use the same mobile formatted files for all my devices. as for audio, if you play music/video without the headphones the Bold has better sound. The 8900 sound is better than the 83XX series but the Bold probably has the best audio of any mobile device i've ever used.

So, what about unlocking one or buying one unlocked, or waiting until AT&T gets it? Well, it's certainly not hard to send service books or enter the APN information so don't be afraid of that. i'd say the biggest thing is cost and i dont know if that's a factor to you. as for AT&T getting the 8900, i'm not up on that rumor mill but i personally dont see it happening--now that AT&T is on the 3G BB road i don't see them turning back. perhaps a new device that is similar to the 8900 but has 3G. from a carrier standpoint 3G data gives at least double the capacity as EDGE at half the cost.

Anyways, if you're already rockin' a Bold on AT&T the 8900 is really just a step sideways overall. there are some trade offs that i've mentioned so i guess if you evaluate them as to what is most important to you then perhaps it is a definitive step forward or backward.

my opinion, i can't decide, lol. i like them both and keep switching between them! let us know what you think if you go for it.
    Wow nice to see someone taking the time and really getting into the details. Great job and thanks for your input.
    03-15-09 01:50 PM
    I am I am. Just made a deal with a CB member. I will be back this week and getting to my theme creations once again.
    Very nice. That is what I wanted to hear.
    03-15-09 01:55 PM
    Map, also check my signature for my comparison of the devices. If you don't want to read through the entire thing, then at least read close to the end where I have a post on "Final Thoughts". I feel that was I was unbiased through the entire thread as much as I could be and I honestly do feel they both are great devices. For me, the 8900 was just a better fit.
    03-15-09 01:58 PM
    Listen to bobdobbins. I have both devices and he is right on target!
    03-15-09 02:02 PM
    am i the only one who hates gsm buzz? thats one of the main factors why i dont want to pull the trigger on a 8900.
    03-15-09 03:07 PM
    Map, also check my signature for my comparison of the devices. If you don't want to read through the entire thing, then at least read close to the end where I have a post on "Final Thoughts". I feel that was I was unbiased through the entire thread as much as I could be and I honestly do feel they both are great devices. For me, the 8900 was just a better fit.
    read your thoughts on your comparison.
    It says your in an area with no 3G coverage. Would you honestly pick the 8900 if you were in strong 3g coverage (aka when it comes to your area) or will you just stick with the phone?
    03-15-09 03:09 PM
    3G is available in my area just not with my current carrier. However AT&T is currently in the process of buying out Centennial. With that said, yes I would stick with the 8900 for more reasons than 3G. I have no need for 3G plus the other differences between the two phones makes the 8900 a better fit for me.
    03-15-09 03:18 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD