Good morning,

I am selling my BB 8900 Curve and have a few questions.

1) The phone will be going overseas. The device has been unlocked and tested (UK O2 SIM in Orange handset) so I'm pretty sure there won't be an issue here, but is there anything I need to be wary of?

2) I use BB Messenger, when the phone goes out of my possession, is there a way to stop my contacts from speaking to the new owner (maybe a block function?)

3) Most importantly, I need to erase all my personal data from the device, along with apps I installed.

I have updated the phone to OS5 a few months back, so if I do a factory reset will that put OS4 back on (as that is what it shipped with)?

Unfortunately there is a good chance I will be leaving the Good Ship Blackberry and joining the Android crew - is there a way I can export my contacts to my Google account for safe keeping?
    06-13-10 04:04 AM
    Good morning,

I am selling my BB 8900 Curve and have a few questions.

2) I use BB Messenger, when the phone goes out of my possession, is there a way to stop my contacts from speaking to the new owner (maybe a block function?)

3) Most importantly, I need to erase all my personal data from the device, along with apps I installed.

I have updated the phone to OS5 a few months back, so if I do a factory reset will that put OS4 back on (as that is what it shipped with)?
    To use your same BBM contacts with your new phone you will need to back them up using your Email account set in your blackberry. Go to BBM > press BB menu button > options > backup > remotely. Wipe your device.

Then, on your new BB, go to BBM > press BB menu button > options > restore > remotely. ( your contacts won't even notice the change in the BB Pin )

To wipe your phone, go to options, security options, security wipe ( it won't put OS 4.0 back )

OR

Reload the OS which you've upgraded to few months back
    Last edited by Ahmed G.; 06-13-10 at 07:53 AM.
    06-13-10 07:47 AM
    Some good info here too:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/st...selling-465116

Bottom line is take a backup in DM in case you ever return to a BB device. You never know. You can also back up your BBM list locally to your SD card or choose one of your registered email accounts as mentioned above. I'd then do a low-level wipe (using BBSAK for example) to clear out any personal data for good.

As a courtesy, it would be nice to re-install the current Official OS from your carrier so that they have a working phone of sorts.

I've seen people mention making a call to your provider to notify them you are selling your phone and to "release your PIN" but there seems to be some confusion on who exactly can do that.

Don't forget to take out your SIM and SD card.
    Last edited by shabbs; 06-13-10 at 08:54 AM.
    06-13-10 08:52 AM
    Thanks for the advice chaps!

I shall indeed follow these instructions before selling it.

Going to be sad to get rid of the BB, but I am kinda jazzed to try out Android.

I'm sure though when RIM produce a touch phone that doesn't have the phone screen moving to click I may go back.
    06-13-10 11:09 AM
    Read that forum post you mentioned and looked at the Security Wipe in the options, little nervous about it...
    Emails, Contacts etc. - All data will be lost! You will not be able to send or receive email on this device after you wipe it.
    This does mean that the phone will be usable by the buyer, yes?
    06-15-10 01:28 PM
    The buyer should set a new Email ( His/her Email )

Don't worry
    06-15-10 01:45 PM
    OK then - going for it. Also removing the Apps too!

And after doing this, the device should be as new yeah? Will it be as out of the factory (with the addition of OS5)
    06-15-10 01:47 PM
    yes I believe it will
    06-15-10 02:36 PM
    OK then - going for it. Also removing the Apps too!

And after doing this, the device should be as new yeah? Will it be as out of the factory (with the addition of OS5)
    Heh. I'm curious. Do tell us what the result is.
    06-15-10 05:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD