I am looking to possibly buy the Curve from Verizon, but I would like to know how the phone treats long text msgs (160+ chars). I've heard that some Verizon BBs limit SMS's to 160 characters. Does the Curve allow long SMS msgs by splitting them into smaller chunks like on most Verizon phones?

Also, I have noticed that some Verizon phones can only send the first 160 characters of a long message to non-Verizon users. I believe this has something to do with the fact that Verizon uses EMS as default, a protocol not supported by other carriers. Can the BB Curve switch to the SMS format?
    06-24-08 12:09 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!

I do not have VZW, but on my TMo curve it will continue the message and add a 'page' to it. The standard SMS length is 160 chars... so if you go over it will continue your message and count it as a second, third, fourth (up to 6 'pages').
    06-24-08 12:11 PM
    I have verizon and when I hit the 160 mark it completely stops me from typing and says field full. It will not continue on for me.
    06-24-08 12:17 PM
    Once you hit 160 it says field full it won't carry over

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-08 12:19 PM
    Yup... the posts above me are correct. Once you are at 160, you are done. You can always just start a whole new text, but... SMS is just that: Short Message Service. If you want to type more than 160 characters, you need to compose an email or an MMS. (Yes, you can send an MMS without a picture. )
    06-24-08 12:21 PM
    it did for the treo 755 it would send two messages and thats with any phone it has nothing to do with verizon.
    06-24-08 12:22 PM
    Yup... the posts above me are correct. Once you are at 160, you are done. You can always just start a whole new text, but... SMS is just that: Short Message Service. If you want to type more than 160 characters, you need to compose an email or an MMS. (Yes, you can send an MMS without a picture. )
    That is exactly how I do it. I either send an email or an MMS if I know it is going to be a long message. I think MMS will allow you up to 900 characters.
    06-24-08 12:24 PM
    I have a BB with verizon and I can tell you the best solution is to send an MMS without a picture. and the good news is that when someone sends you a long text it will be displayed on your phone as ONE continuous message.
    06-24-08 12:26 PM
    I get creative with abbreviations or send a 2nd SMS. It's rare that I need to send a 2nd SMS to complete a message.
    06-25-08 01:14 AM
    it did for the treo 755 it would send two messages and thats with any phone it has nothing to do with verizon.
    Actually, it has everything to do with the provider....Verizon stops all SMS messages for the Curve at 160, period. Some other providers create multiple messages and some don't. If you Google this topic, it is all over the internet (Moto Q has the exact same issue) - smart phones in general are notorious for this issue. It's a very complicated and hot topic.......

Bottom line is if you have the Curve with Verizon you can not send an SMS message that is longer than 160 characters.
    06-25-08 04:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD