Anytime you load a new OS you will have to re-register programs. Its happened on all 6 OS's that I've loaded on my M, so don't be scared off by that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-09 01:28 PM
    I read the post asking if anybody had done the update thru wireless update so I tried it and it works no problems. When I went to options>advanced>wireless update and checked for an update it didn't come right back with 'no update avail' like it had in the past it just said 'checking for update'. About 2 hrs later I saw a new icon'wireless update' and it was the new OS. Downloaded 4.4mb file then had the option to update now or schedule update for later. Install was done in three steps 1. Patching OS, 2. Patching java, and 3. Linking java. It then ran the backup it made before the install and I had the new OS with all my settings and messages intact. Took maybe 10 minutes to download the 4.4mb then close to an hour to complete the install. Signal seems much improved and that was what I wanted from this upgrade.
    10-15-09 02:59 PM
    I keep getting an Application Loader error. it stopped at Connecting to device ROM, keep getting Application Loader cannot connect to your device. What should I do?
    10-15-09 04:07 PM
    I jus updated my BB.....No problems!
    10-15-09 04:50 PM
    upgraded as soon as i got the email from rim. Its working great and it seems as if BBM5 runs better now.

So now we wait for OS 5.0
    10-15-09 05:29 PM
    I upgraded yesterday and had no problems. Didn't have to re-register any programs or anything.

Only problem I seem to have is that I have don't the plugged-in icon next to the battery meter anymore. Is it because it's fully charged?
    Last edited by jhtalisman; 10-16-09 at 02:31 AM.
    10-15-09 05:34 PM
    i upgraded with the new dm for mac and now my phone randomly re-boots.

i tried to put .169 back on it and had no luck with crackmem. i dont know if it is because i already have a newer os on there but either way this os is starting to **** me off.

i just dont want it to keep re-setting!!!!!!
    10-15-09 06:17 PM
    I been upgraded for a couple of days now. Notice a few things:

Web browser is faster

A slight increase in memory (I'm guessing depends on what memory you already have left on your phone)

BBM 5 does seem to work better, my phone doesn't freeze as much like before even with being in different BBM groups.

Overall, happy with the update but still waiting in official OS 5. Threaded text msgs would be awesome. I am not big on using leaked version OS.

10-15-09 06:27 PM
    Solved my problem. Browser works very fast now!
    10-15-09 07:54 PM
    Lamest Update Ever - I Want Threaded Messaging, Without Having To Hack The 5.0 O.s On It Ha Ha
    10-16-09 12:11 AM
    Some things I've noticed that have changed for the worse with mine.

- Everytime I do a batt pull or it restarts for any reason like after syncing in desktop manager it always resets my theme to the lame sprint theme.

- For a while today I got no sound evn on normal profile as far as when I got calls. That corrected itself with a batt pull.

I'm still happy with this update though I feel its a little rushed.

10-16-09 12:29 AM
    Just wiped and installed. No problems so far. For those interested--the update did not fix GPS in Google Maps.
    10-16-09 01:46 AM
    - For a while today I got no sound evn on normal profile as far as when I got calls. That corrected itself with a batt pull.
    Yeah, mine did that too. I was trying to change back my profile settings because they got reset to default sounds, but couldn't hear the tones more than half the time. Sort of freaked me out for a bit, but after the battery pull, all seems well. We shall see.

Browser is SUPER fast on this compared to the other one. I'm extremely happy about that.

Other than having to register a few apps again, recreate my app folders, move some icons on my app screen and basically redo BerryBuzz completely (and thank goodness I backed up QuickLaunch, because it resets that too, just FYI), I am having no real issues with this upgrade, and most of those things are inconveniences I expected from an upgrade.
    10-16-09 02:49 AM
    Memory leak problem? 43 down to 37 after 1 days use- hmmmmmmm

10-16-09 06:49 AM
    For a while today I got no sound evn on normal profile as far as when I got calls. That corrected itself with a batt pull.
    Yeah, mine did that too. I was trying to change back my profile settings because they got reset to default sounds, but couldn't hear the tones more than half the time. Sort of freaked me out for a bit, but after the battery pull, all seems well. We shall see.
    Mine is doing the same thing, but it's happening about every 12 hours. And it's not just ringtones, it's ALL media files. If I try to play them, i'll get a "media processor error" message. I've had to pull the battery three times now just to make sure I'm not missing calls/sms messages. VERY annoying. Any increase in browser speed we might be seeing is not worth having to do battery pulls once to twice a day to ensure you arent missing calls.
    10-16-09 07:49 AM
    First off, your first question:

BlackBerry Device Software Media Card Size Limit
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.0 -- Up to 2 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.1 -- Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.2.2 -- Up to 4 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.3.0 -- Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0 -- Up to 8 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.81 and above -- Up to 16 GB
    BlackBerry Device Software 4.6.0 -- Up to 16 GB

The second question is kind of confusing. Do you mean the update? If so try using the Desktop Manager and it will automagically install the new OS on your system without having to download the actual update. DM will backup your system, backup your apps, install the OS and reinstall the apps. I just finished updating and was pretty smooth.

As for the apps on your Micro SD Card, not for sure about that one. My understanding is if you put them on the Card they will still be used within the system memory when needed or loaded. Not real sure on all that.

Hope this helps...
    Running SW 4.5.0 with a 16 GB card that is recognized, NP.

m
    10-16-09 07:54 AM
    Mine is doing the same thing, but it's happening about every 12 hours. And it's not just ringtones, it's ALL media files. If I try to play them, i'll get a "media processor error" message. I've had to pull the battery three times now just to make sure I'm not missing calls/sms messages. VERY annoying. Any increase in browser speed we might be seeing is not worth having to do battery pulls once to twice a day to ensure you arent missing calls.
    correction, i'm now having to do battery pulls once an hour now. trying to figure out how to downgrade the OS.
    10-16-09 08:14 AM
    I upgraded yesterday through the Manager. Had no issues with third party apps, or any of the other complaints (yet, at least).

What I also do not see are any improvements at all. My phone is behaving exactly as it did prior. Browser is the same, available memory is right in the same ballpark, etc.
    10-16-09 08:25 AM
    a few days back i upgraded to .169 but everytime i received an email it would freeze so i had to do a battery pull all the time. i upgraded to .175 and everything works great. browser is much faster, startup after battery pull is much quicker. great overall.
    Last edited by djgelito; 10-16-09 at 08:43 AM.
    10-16-09 08:40 AM
    How is it that so many people can have such varying degrees of success/unhappiness with the upgrade? Why do phones all respond differently to the *same* upgrade??
    10-16-09 08:48 AM
    How is it that so many people can have such varying degrees of success/unhappiness with the upgrade? Why do phones all respond differently to the "same" upgrade??

My guess would be compatibility with installed applications. No two people have exactly the same apps installed, and RIM couldn't possibly check every possible combination of installations. That, and possible corruption of files during downloading and/or installation. There's also a chance that Desktop Manager could possibly have a conflict with a program on the host PC that causes an undesired effect in the OS's stability. There are probably a million possible reasons. No two BBs will receive the upgrade under the exact same conditions.
    10-16-09 09:46 AM
    Memory leak problem? 43 down to 37 after 1 days use- hmmmmmmm

Yeah there is a memory leak issue here. 24 hours I lost 8MB. Nothing a run of quickpull couldn't fix though. I can deal with this when for once the browser is finally useable though. There is plenty of filefree space on my BB so I won't sweat it.
    10-16-09 10:24 AM
    all great posts. I love the quick responses in Crackberry Forums. I'm a fairly new Blackberry user (linux geek mainly), but i'm quickly learning about the new-to-me world of Blackberry and so far the community of helpful people has been great! Thanks guys.
    10-16-09 12:55 PM
    I kinda wish they'd quit with the 4.5.x releases and just work on OS5 and get it out to us...

Downloading now, lets see how this goes!!
    10-16-09 01:24 PM
    I have also done the update and have noticed that i dont have to turn the radio back on everytime i turn it back on. Everything cam back up on my curve, but i have on ly had it for 1 week and i love it !!!! Can someone tell me where i can find out how much memory i have ??? Im still learning about things on this and would love to know where i can get some cool theme's for my phone

thanx everyone for your help at the beginning
    10-16-09 02:22 PM
356 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD