Well, I bit the bullet and did the install on my Verizon 8330. Holy crap! I'm really liking the new interface. So many more simple, better functions now. And the pictures are actually USABLE now! Such a big difference.

On the memory front, I'm down to 22mb already, where I was easily holding mid 30's on 4.5, so we'll see how that goes, but it's going to take a lot for me to go back to 4.5 now. Hoping this keeps me going til the Nexus One hits Verizon!

BTW, I don't know if it's necessary but I did a wipe using JL_wipe prior to install, just to make sure I was starting from scratch. The only things I loaded back on were my contacts, memos, and basic preferences. Apps running: Facebook, Google Sync (for calendar), and that's IT for now (haven't tried Opera yet, and I learned a long time ago this phone just can't handle a lot of apps, so I'm keeping it minimal).
    01-27-10 10:55 PM
    Berrymedic I was holding mid 30s till a few days ago when my phone dipped into the teens. After a quickpull it brought me to 24kb....wtf. I was on the .138 and yesterday updated to .175.

I am thinkin i may hit the 5.0 but where did you download the shrinked os from >?
    01-28-10 04:04 AM
    Shrink among many other things, is found in this link at the bottom of the first post:

For the best installation procedure click here.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!
    WAPers do it With A Passion

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 04:14 AM
    I haven't noticed a memory leak at all. I actually have more memory now, that I did running the 5.0 hybrid.
    01-28-10 01:14 PM
    This thing is a memory monster for me. And the leak is horrendous. In two hours, I've lost almost 9 MB. That's just silly. Time to go back to a 4.5.
    01-28-10 10:37 PM
    I'm running into an issue trying to install 5.0 on my Verizon 8330. I've installed OSes a number of times, so this isn't a new process for me. I did all my backing up, then used Crackmem to wipe my berry, then used apploader to install 5.0. Everything seems to install fine, but after it says it's installed correctly, my berry reboots (as expected) but never seems to move past about 2/3 on the progress bar. I've tried a bunch of different things. Am I just not waiting long enough? Any ideas about what I need to do?
    01-28-10 10:47 PM
    Okay, so apparently I was just being impatient. After a good 20 minutes, the reboot finished and it seems to be ok. Sorry for being impatient!
    01-28-10 11:02 PM
    Ok, so i followed all those directions, and when I try and use the loader it is saying the applications that are currently on the device are newer than those available with this version of the blackberry desktop software. What am I doing wrong?
    01-29-10 11:26 AM
    nevermind got it!
    01-29-10 11:37 AM
    Ok, so i followed all those directions, and when I try and use the loader it is saying the applications that are currently on the device are newer than those available with this version of the blackberry desktop software. What am I doing wrong?
    You were running a 5.0 hybrid right?

01-29-10 11:59 AM
    No, was running the most recent 4.5 from verizon - not sure what the problem was...but I deleted the update and then reinstalled it and it worked, wierd.
    01-29-10 12:18 PM
    Found something that may do the trick. I'll search more later. This is pretty techy, so beware.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese�, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

I have tried this already.. no luck. Tried it on a 8330 (VZ). Reloaded .175 and GPS worked perfect. Possibly something with VZ service books not compatible with the BOOST O/S version??
    01-29-10 02:25 PM
    I have tried this already.. no luck. Tried it on a 8330 (VZ). Reloaded .175 and GPS worked perfect. Possibly something with VZ service books not compatible with the BOOST O/S version??
    Here's a couple more. Looked at the first briefly, and replacing the files looks like a viable solution. Second I'm just going to post, I didn't even peek at it.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-29-10 02:35 PM
    So I decided to give this one a go. Installed on Sprint 8330. Installation went without a hitch. Once done, it automatically updated AppWorld,Facebook and Flikr.

I deleted a bunch of apps that I really don't use but the system is running VERY slow since the upgrade.

I constantly get the hour glass whenever I a do anything. Not sure why that is. Does someone have an explanation or solution for this?

Btw: GPS is working fine here.
    01-29-10 03:59 PM
    Interesting! I'll bet a radio swap with the leak will solve the GPS problem then. Any opinion on the quality of that radio?

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-29-10 04:23 PM
    Interesting! I'll bet a radio swap with the leak will solve the GPS problem then. Any opinion on the quality of that radio?

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

who, me ? Not sure what you were asking
    01-29-10 04:26 PM
    who, me ? Not sure what you were asking
    I'm saying, for those having problems with GPS, that swapping the radio file might be a solution, and if anyone has used the leak OS and knows how good the radio is, they could share the info.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-29-10 04:34 PM
    Quick update. After a while it seems like teh phone settled a bit. It is not slow anymore. Actually it's kinda snappy

Looks like everything is working great on my Sprint 8330 with 5.0 (knock on wood)

One thing though that bugs me is that I can't change the background for my bphone theme. It's an iphone type theme that comes with the darn nemo back ground. With 4.5 I was able to change it to just a black wallpaper which looked much better.
    Does anyone know of a decent iphone type theme taht works with 5.0 on a Sprint 8330?
    01-29-10 04:51 PM
    Software For BlackBerry� Curve (TM) 8330 smartphone

Software Download for Boost Mobile

BlackBerry Handheld Software v5.0.0.724 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 5.0.0.724
    Consisting of:

Applications: 5.0.0.438

Software Platform: 3.5.0.44

File name: 8330AMEA_PBr5.0.0_rel724_PL3.5.0.44_A5.0.0.438_Boo st_Mobile.exe

File size: 90.38MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

� Software

Basic Instructions:

1. Download the above OS file to your PC then install it to your PC by double clicking the file you downloaded. (Vista users be sure to right click on the .exe file and select "Run As Adminstrator.")
    2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the vendor.xml file.
    3. Plug in your BB to a usb port and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same folder as the above vendor.xml file.

Don't disconnect your BB unless you get an error message, or you get a completed message. Some of the upgrade steps take a while, and it may appear to have stalled or stopped, but it has not. Be patient, and let the update load (30 - 45 minutes).

For the best installation procedure click here.

Will this upgrade work with the 8310???

01-29-10 07:09 PM

Will this upgrade work with the 8310???

All OS are device dependant, so no, this will only work for an 8330.

I'm Hand Javin' baby!

01-29-10 07:22 PM
    OK, so my girl has metro pcs and I cannot get this on her phone for the life of me. I continues to say that i am missing files... its an error report when i launch loader.exe.. yes I deleted the vendor file, yes i have tried it with and without wiping first, yes i have tried with a hybrid, with shrink, with pretty much everything.. it continues to say the same thing. that i am missing files and cannot load the os... anyone with any ideas?
    01-29-10 07:44 PM
    OK, so my girl has metro pcs and I cannot get this on her phone for the life of me. I continues to say that i am missing files... its an error report when i launch loader.exe.. yes I deleted the vendor file, yes i have tried it with and without wiping first, yes i have tried with a hybrid, with shrink, with pretty much everything.. it continues to say the same thing. that i am missing files and cannot load the os... anyone with any ideas?
    Which files does it say are missing? Sounds like you need to remove and reinstall the OS to me.
    01-29-10 07:51 PM
    Well I had the problems as a previous poster right after I did the update. VERY slow, was not loading things, I did a battery pull and it seems a lot faster than even before I did the update. I am loving it so far. We'll see how it plays out.
    01-29-10 08:15 PM
    Always a good idea to do a final battery pull after installing an OS. Gets everything working together better.
    01-29-10 08:16 PM
    Which files does it say are missing? Sounds like you need to remove and reinstall the OS to me.
    I wish i did a screen shot of it... It does not say which files are missing. I have deleted the OS, uninstalled it, and deleted all the files in it and redownloaded it from rim/ mirror sites/ and everywhere else you can think. so I have tried and I want to keep going with it but we will see. I honestly want it for her, her service is terrible wit data, so threaded sms for her would be nice... We will see.. I am gong to see about .230 and a hybrid... but i couldnt load just .230 either... ????
    01-29-10 08:18 PM
631 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD