I got some super cheap($2.99) DX1 batteries from a site based in Hong Kong. They appear to be OEM(Same green and gray sticker) and they are lasting just as long as the original battery. While I am totally happy with these batteries I am still skeptical that they might be knockoffs.

Has anyone heard of knockoff batteries made to look like the OEM BB batteries?
    09-14-09 11:41 AM
    I got some super cheap($2.99) DX1 batteries from a site based in Hong Kong. They appear to be OEM(Same green and gray sticker) and they are lasting just as long as the original battery. While I am totally happy with these batteries I am still skeptical that they might be knockoffs.

Has anyone heard of knockoff batteries made to look like the OEM BB batteries?
    Yep all the time! Especially in the Hong Kong/ China region. I work in electronics distribution and have to deal with this exact issue on almost a weekly basis. I've been to numerous places in China and have seen the problems first hand. They are able to make knock-offs of just about anything and have it look the same as the original OEM brand.

I can't say this with 100% certainty of course, but if you only paid $2.99 for the battery then I bet it's not an OEM original for RIM. It could work great for awhile and then just tank on you, or it could work fine for quite awhile, ya just never know with that kinda stuff!
    09-14-09 12:02 PM
    Either way if it works for a month or more you got your money's worth haha

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 03:29 PM
    Long as it doesn't leak you've got nothing to lose. It's not OEM for $2.99 that's for sure!
    09-14-09 03:46 PM
    FYI - RIM Batteries are under warranty for 12 months... so if you need a new battery, just call your service provider and with the exception of shipping and handling, its free... (true story! Tmobile just sent me a new one!)
    09-14-09 10:00 PM
    My luck shipping and handling would be more than a battery at the store, lol
    09-14-09 10:22 PM
    the only place i would buy a battery for my phones are from authorized dealers. i wouldnt risk ruining my device with a potential knock off battery. ive heard plenty of people killing their phones or having the batteries leak/explode.
    09-14-09 11:39 PM
    definitely wouldnt trust a knockoff battery in my phone. i dont even trust knockoff chargers. for 2.99 out of hong kong, im 99% sure that is a knockoff battery.

but i think i know which site you got the battery off of and i love that site. so much cheap fun stuff lol
    09-15-09 09:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD