My Blackberry keeps typing "hl" over and over again whenever I hit the back key and it make a buzzing noise sounds like the trackball sound repeatedly super fast
    05-23-10 11:30 PM
    Did you try a battery pull?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-23-10 11:38 PM
    That sounds like moisture damage. Did you have your BlackBerry near steam, in your pocket when you were sweating, or next to your face while you were sweating? Try putting it in rice for 48 hours.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-23-10 11:56 PM
    Ya I did a battery pull for like 10 mins and put it back in same thing. And I work at a fast food restaurant and theres alot of steam but its in my pocket so idk what that would to do it.
    05-24-10 12:10 AM
    STEAM is MOISTURE. And if you are working in a hot environment with your BlackBerry in your pocket, you likely also exposed it to sweat.

Both of these will DEFINITELY cause the problem you are experiencing.

The damage is likely already done, but if you search the forum, you will find instructions where people were able to clean the corrosion damage with alcohol.
    05-24-10 05:57 AM
    Yep, it's moisture. Time to order a trackball dome, you can get one here:
    Watch the disassembly video, and you'll need to carefully peel your keypad membrane off and clean underneath it, as well as the domes on it. Can't peel the tb dome and reuse it. That's why I recommend buying a couple. They're cheap, but a PITA to replace. Widdle tiny buggers they are. Good luck

WAPers do it With A Passion
    I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!
    I'm a Survivor Baby!But the dang game fizzled out

05-24-10 06:14 AM
    Ya but my exposure sticker is still all white
    05-24-10 11:21 AM
    Doesn't matter.

The keyboard contacts can have moisture damage even if the stickers are white.
    05-24-10 11:26 AM
    Well idk because I took my trackball of apart and back together and its working perfect so idk what was up with it
    05-24-10 05:24 PM
    Hope it continues too, but I'll bet it's extremely sensitive to moisture now. I'd buy the domes for $2, just to be prepared.

If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.
    Click Here To Be Banned*
    Drive a PwnCakes Hybrid. It'll keep your Onyx purring.

05-24-10 05:50 PM
    I had this same problem with a BB Bold 9000 that I just bought- it was a really humid day and I had it in my front pocket. I'm kind of a sweaty guy, and it must've gotten some moisture damage while in my pocket b/c it was working perfect before the whole walking around outside for 2hrs thing. I got home, and the End Button types "hl," the A Button types "ou," the trackball button types "mn" and the send button types another two letters, can't remember which.

After reading this and a few other threads, I took it apart and left it air dry for about 5 days, in an easterly window where it got direct sunlight. This whole time, it was in a small ziplock bag with a small package of silica gel. I reassembled it just now, and the problem persists. Grrr.

I'm not seeing an easy way to replace just the keyboard/button contacts. Do I have to replace the whole phone? I'm fine with repairing it, but I'm also fine with selling it as-is and disclosing the problem.

Anyone know if this can be repaired or should I just recoup what I can for it and be done with it?

Thanks
    B
    06-06-10 05:09 PM
    I had this same problem with a BB Bold 9000 that I just bought- it was a really humid day and I had it in my front pocket. I'm kind of a sweaty guy, and it must've gotten some moisture damage while in my pocket b/c it was working perfect before the whole walking around outside for 2hrs thing. I got home, and the End Button types "hl," the A Button types "ou," the trackball button types "mn" and the send button types another two letters, can't remember which.

After reading this and a few other threads, I took it apart and left it air dry for about 5 days, in an easterly window where it got direct sunlight. This whole time, it was in a small ziplock bag with a small package of silica gel. I reassembled it just now, and the problem persists. Grrr.

I'm not seeing an easy way to replace just the keyboard/button contacts. Do I have to replace the whole phone? I'm fine with repairing it, but I'm also fine with selling it as-is and disclosing the problem.

Anyone know if this can be repaired or should I just recoup what I can for it and be done with it?

Thanks
    B
    You should be able to order a keypad membrane, but unless your buttons have poor response all you need to do is peel it up carefully, and clean both the cups and contacts.

I'm many people's brother, have several BB daughters and sons,
    but I sure as heck ain't your momma!

If everyone spoke Wulfanese™, they wouldn't need to click here for a translation.

06-06-10 06:20 PM
    Yup I had the same problem and it was from being in my pocket. I noticed it start to happen then I would let it sit in the open for a bit and it worked again.
    06-06-10 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD