My keyboard doesnt work or any of the side keys...the ball works fine and i get calls just can't answer them..

I've tried battery pulling and a bunch of other stuff. I havent spilled any liquid on it either.

Anyone have and suggestions or ideas on why my keyboard and soft keys are essentially "locked"?

Thanks
    06-20-08 11:52 PM
    There have been several posts of sweat getting inside the devices.
    When you pulled the battery did you check to see if the moisture indicator was another color other than white?
    06-21-08 12:06 AM
    Also, when you did a battery pull, you did this with the phone on and left it out for at least 30 seconds correct?
    06-21-08 01:00 AM
    moisture indicator is still white... and yes for the 30 seconds
    06-21-08 05:30 AM
    I found a solution to the keyboard malfunction problem which has not been discussed on any forum I have looked at. I apologize if this has since been added to this thread as I have not read it in a while. Unfortunately I am pressed for time, and want to make sure others benefit from my discovery. Sorry for the bad Netiquette.

As with many other people I was extremely frustrated by the fact that so many support forums had people who had tried all the solutions, but like me had persisting keyboard issues. So I took a day and tried EVERYTHING I could think of. These are two solutions that I have found to two different symptom sets. I have only tested Bell Blackberry Curve 8330s.

I have now tested these solutions many times on several different Curves. Note none of these phones responded to the other solutions: (Remove battery for 30 seconds, blow dust out of keyboard, preform soft reset, delete archived msgs, update OS, etc..)

Symptom set #1 - �Keyboard and side buttons not responding� only Track Ball scrolling (but not push selection) responding�

Solution:

This seems to be somehow caused by a function of the Scroll Ball locking out or blocking the input signals from the other buttons.

1. Turn off your phone by removing the battery

2. While battery is out of phone remove Track Ball
    a. First remove the silver disk around the Track ball. This pops out easily with your fingernails
    b. The ball will now simply fall out if you turn over the phone. (tap it if need be)
    c. **take note of the orientation of each of these pieces so that you can put them back in the correct way. If you lose track of the way they came out, they will only go in the correct way�. Just don�t force anything.

3. With the Track Ball out of the phone, put the battery back in and power up the phone.

4. Check to see if the keyboard is responding. If it is,

5. Put the track ball back in the phone with it still powered on.

6. Test keys and trackball, it should be working now.

Note: that it is unlikely that this is simply a result of the battery being removed for more then thirty seconds. I have only tested this on Curves that did not respond to repeated attempts at �the 30sec battery pull�. Each time this worked on the first try.

Symptom set #2 � �Blackberry responds to Keyboard keys producing the wrong letters and pressing Track Ball produces random characters�

Solution

This seems to be caused by the Blackberry reading the battery as partially charged when it is almost dead. I was able to prove this by testing the battery using another device. Although my phone believed the battery to have some charge the battery was actually almost completely dead.

The solution is simply to charge the phone. All but one of the times I have used this solution the BlackBerry actually started reading the battery as dead immediately after being plugged in.

Hope this helps... sorry for the long post.

Jay-D McLean

Edmonton, AB, Canada
    07-07-09 12:22 PM
    Great info!! Thanks
    07-07-09 12:44 PM
    I know that this is for the 8330 curve but I have having similar problems with my 8100 Pearl. At first the keyboard would randomly type letters (e's and w's being the favorite) and I would be unable to type any letters in and sometimes I could scroll the pearl.
    Now it has gotten to the point where it doesn't turn on at all for the most part and the notification light blinks red and the odd time the camera flash flashes.
    I thought that it might have been the battery because in the beginning the problems would go away as soon as the battery status was 100% and plugged in, but the moment it was unplugged and lost a percent it stopped working and started typing randomly again. I even bought a new battery too.

I have tried so many things, pretty much anything that I can find on these forums, but nothing seems to help. Any more suggestions? I really don't want to lose my blackberry

Thanks for your time,
    07-07-09 11:11 PM
    I am having a somewhat similar issue with mine. For whatever reason when I press the space bar or any of the right bottom keys no matter what I press m or n show up. it is usually fixed with a quick battery pull but that's just a pain in the ***. I thought it was because I had a face plate covering my bb but it still does it after I took it off. Any ideas on this problem?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 12:06 AM
    Quite possibly a liquid or something got into the keyboard area and fried it. Or you have a malfunctioning Blackberry and you should be able to go and try and replace it. Possibly turn it off and give it a while before you turn it back on and see if that's the case.
    07-08-09 01:33 AM
    The keyboard & trackball, could roll but not push, stopped working on my Blackberry Curve yesterday. Phone was simply lying on a countertop when this happened. I tried removing the battery and replacing it numerous times. The phone was still receiving emails and updating "unopened" number but not responding to any touch to the keyboard. Late last night the phone started "sounding" and characters of *#*#*##*#*# were being displayed as if a phone number was being typed into the Blackberry. This happened 3 or 4 times last night and again this morning. If I tried to use the phone's keyboard, it did not respond. Gave up and, this morning, put the phone in my pocketbook to take by the store tonight after work. When I got to work and pulled the 8330 out my purse, it was working again. Can't come up with an explanation for this. Has anyone else had their Blackberry behave like it's been possessed?
    12-16-09 03:58 PM
    try gettin a new keyboard?
    12-17-09 07:19 PM
    Just want to say thanks to jaydmclean for the info on the track ball. Followed the instructions exactly and it worked just fine after. Thanks!
    05-30-10 12:47 PM
    For the sake of collecting data:
    I had symptom set #2, followed immediately by symptom set #1 (after I reset the battery). I followed the jaydmclean solutions, twice, to no avail.

For what it's worth, the moisture indicator on my battery has been tripped, so it's possible that this is a separate root cause with the same symptoms.
    06-28-10 12:04 PM
    Blackberry guarantees these phones for a year. so in should be replaced if its been less than a year. Unless of course you've already had it replaced. Then the guarantee is only 90 days on that replacement. Then you are out of luck.
    09-12-10 02:40 PM
    So I have the first one - trackball scrolls but no keys will press. Nothing works, including jaydmclean's suggestions. On one hand, I really don't care too much - my new every two was up in a month and I got a new 8530 to replace it. On the other hand... they have an ap for that. Specifically they have an ap that I had on my old phone called BabyLog. It has all my 6 month old's baby stats in it... First smile, first tooth, when she first rolled over, etc. I can get a new activation code to put the ap on my new phone, but all the data is stuck on the old phone. I have to get my old phone to function or I've lost everything.

So when I remove the trackball I see a pink sticker in the hole up high toward the screen. Is this a moisture indicator? None of the others have been tripped, and it worked fine that morning, just stopped smack in the middle of the day for no apparent reason with the phone in my purse.

My hubby has the same phone and is looking to upgrade soon. Is there any possibility of swapping out keyboards or something?! I'm desperate.

Thanks everyone!
    09-19-10 08:35 AM
    Pink sticker = moisture. You may be able to get it repaired at a repair shop.

Have you tried backing up the old device (including 3rd-party apps) using BlackBerry Desktop Manager on your PC and then restoring from that backup to the new device?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-20-10 01:45 AM
    i have the solution for all of uuuuu jejeje
    im from peru live in florida my name is guillermo
    and the solution is easy bt complicated
    is not the software or update is a hardware issue
    on the back of the blackberry is a square u have to cut that by the have to look inside after that u will find a part that is touching other part because of the heat it disoldering thats all
    srry about my english bt im very happy right now that i solve this problem
    call or text for question 7862364552 i have a store and i have a lot of blackberry that came with this problem n today i decide to open n find the problem
    AGAIN IS NOT SOFTWARE IS A HARDWARE
    REMENBER ALL THE COMPOMENTS ARE SOLDER WHEN IT GET TO HOT IT WILL RELEASE FROM THE MOTHERBOARD AND TOUCH OTHER COMPONENT THAT WILL MAKE THIS PROBLEM
    06-25-11 12:36 AM
    Sorry if I have done this wrong, but not sure how to post this question.

I have just bought a blackberry curve 8520, I have put in my sim card,everything goes fine, but the keyboard was not reacting,only the roller in the centre, now i have seen the posts about taking it out and cleaning it,but I just cannot get it out, the more i try the more it looks like it is getting damaged. But anyway after fiddling around with it. I discovered if I hold the button on the left side of the phone(the voice activation button) then press the back button etc i can control it, and get to the different screens, but obviously this is not ideal. Does any one know how i can sort this problem out? I have gone to options and checked if it has been changed to do this on the keyboard options and it has not, the option is still set to voice dialing. Help Please!!!!!
    06-16-13 02:22 PM
    i have the same problem and wanted to know whether there was any other way to help the phone and fix it as we dont know how to take the scroll ball out to fix it and no it wont work can u plz help
    11-05-14 12:17 PM
    and plus when i click a letter it does another letter is this a fault or not
    11-05-14 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD