Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd introduce myself and share my purchase information in case anyone out there is looking at getting a BB 8900.

My old phone was a Cingular 3125 (aka HTC Star Trek), but I lost it somewhere between my car and my house. Still mystifies me as to where it went. Guess it was time to update anyway,

At first, I thought I would just get the smallest phone I could find that had a QWERTY keyboard. Looked at the LG Vu, Xenon and a couple of others. When I saw the BB curve though, I fell in love with the design. I never thought I'd be a BB person though as I always had the impression it was for corporate road warriors.

One of the main reasons I got this phone was this forum! It's so encouraging to see all the enthusiastic users on this site and everyone's willing to help. Being an IT person, I'm used to forums being hostile and sarcastic. Crackberry was neither and truly refreshing.

At any rate, I ended up getting my BB from Sams club earlier today. I have an existing family plan, but I qualified for the upgrade. Cost was 129 + $40 tax. Tax is high since it's based on the retail price of the phone. This was about 20 bucks cheaper than Costco, plus I didn't have to mail in a $100 rebate. Only thing it lacks is a car charger and a carrying case which Costco would've thrown in for free.

So far, I've yet to fully play with it as I haven't moved my contacts over and I didn't get a data plan . Will wait til I get home to use my own Wifi.

Some questions for the experts out there:

1. Any recommended apps? I'd love to be able to sync my phone contacts with an online service. Maybe Google Sync will work. Also, it'd be really cool if I could obtain their pictures from their Facebook account. Does this app exist?
    2. A screen protector and a case/sleeve would be nice. Any suggestions? Hopefully not too pricey.
    3. Any recommended tweaks or is it good to go out of the box? OS loaded is 4.6.1.231

Thanks all and I look forward to loving my blackberry the same way everyone here does.
    08-12-09 05:06 PM
    Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd introduce myself and share my purchase information in case anyone out there is looking at getting a BB 8900.

My old phone was a Cingular 3125 (aka HTC Star Trek), but I lost it somewhere between my car and my house. Still mystifies me as to where it went. Guess it was time to update anyway,

At first, I thought I would just get the smallest phone I could find that had a QWERTY keyboard. Looked at the LG Vu, Xenon and a couple of others. When I saw the BB curve though, I fell in love with the design. I never thought I'd be a BB person though as I always had the impression it was for corporate road warriors.

One of the main reasons I got this phone was this forum! It's so encouraging to see all the enthusiastic users on this site and everyone's willing to help. Being an IT person, I'm used to forums being hostile and sarcastic. Crackberry was neither and truly refreshing.

At any rate, I ended up getting my BB from Sams club earlier today. I have an existing family plan, but I qualified for the upgrade. Cost was 129 + $40 tax. Tax is high since it's based on the retail price of the phone. This was about 20 bucks cheaper than Costco, plus I didn't have to mail in a $100 rebate. Only thing it lacks is a car charger and a carrying case which Costco would've thrown in for free.

So far, I've yet to fully play with it as I haven't moved my contacts over and I didn't get a data plan . Will wait til I get home to use my own Wifi.

Some questions for the experts out there:

1. Any recommended apps? I'd love to be able to sync my phone contacts with an online service. Maybe Google Sync will work. Also, it'd be really cool if I could obtain their pictures from their Facebook account. Does this app exist?
    2. A screen protector and a case/sleeve would be nice. Any suggestions? Hopefully not too pricey.
    3. Any recommended tweaks or is it good to go out of the box? OS loaded is 4.6.1.231

Thanks all and I look forward to loving my blackberry the same way everyone here does.

Hello and welcome to crackberry!

I am sure that you will enjoy your 8900 very much, mine is the best phone that I have ever had!

To answer your questions:

1) Anything from google is awesome, I have my phone fully google integrated and synced with my netbook. So if you have a gmail account, it is the way to go.

2) The best case is by far the Innocase II, never had any problems with it, pretty thin, and my phone is well protected.

3) I didn't like .231 at all, had terrible battery life, I am running .250 and I really like it, but in the end, it is your decision.

Hope this helps, and again welcome to crackberry!
    08-12-09 05:12 PM
    Well with no data plan I'd say you have to sync via usb to prevent any data charges!
    First I forgot to say welcom the Forums! Crackberry. Is on your side!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-09 05:13 PM
    Install the Facebook application (it should already be on there, even if so, update to the newest version) to your phone and check the option to integrate it with your contact list. That will sync their main profile photo on Facebook with the image in your contact list.
    08-12-09 05:17 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!

HEY!!!! We are sarcastic here, I take offense to that!!! To answer your questions:

1 - There are many apps and many threads discussing them. Search is your friend in this case. Here is a thread to get you started:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/89...u-have-143034/

2 - Seidio Innocase II FTW for sure. I recommend a skin type screen protector like the Best Skin Ever

3 - I do not recommend that you upgrade your OS yet because you first should become familiar with your device and with Blackberry in general. I do highly suggest that you read through the 101 lectures, I have a link to them in my signature.

You really may want to re-consider your decision to not have a data plan as most apps do require the data plan to function.
    08-12-09 05:24 PM
    @aristile

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll definitely check your Blackberry 101 when I have the chance.

@justlovejoy & @aristile

For now, I plan to survive off of Wifi. I don't usually need to be online 24x7, so I'll see how I'm able to survive. I just can't justify the extra cost per month yet.

@Tyson Justice

+2 for Innocase. Must be a hellofacase. I'll be sure to check it out. Google rocks as well. I'll try those apps out.

@mpscan

Awesome! Didn't know the facebook app had that capability. Will the pictures be saved if you backup your phone to outlook or google contacts?
    08-12-09 05:31 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!
    HEY!!!! We are sarcastic here, I take offense to that!!! To answer your questions:
    Hahaha. There is a funny sarcastic and a condescending sarcastic. Most people here seem to be the former.
    08-12-09 05:32 PM
    No problem, and you are welcome.

I didn't write the 101 lectures, they are just a great compilation of information. You can also find the link to them at anytime through the "Blackberry Help" menu option at the top of every page here at Crackberry.
    08-12-09 05:34 PM
    Hahaha. There is a funny sarcastic and a condescending sarcastic. Most people here seem to be the former.
    Some might say I am both!
    08-12-09 05:34 PM
    check out m.crackberry.com on your blackberry. There is a free application list that is pretty daggum awesome!
    08-12-09 05:41 PM
    welcome to the family you gonna love this device
    08-12-09 06:11 PM
    Well welcome to the world of BlackBerry! Congratulations on your new BlackBerry!

I believe Google Sync will not work without a data plan like many other programs because it requires the BIS/BES connection as the transport. I suggest you install Palringo as it's a pretty good IM client that works over Wi-Fi without a data plan.

For the case, I highly suggest Seidio's Innocase II. They may be a little pricey at $30 but it's well worth it. Seidio builds cases, not those flimsy things that Incipio makes. I had an Innocase for my 8320 and it survived some nasty falls and protected my device. I wish I had one for my 8900. The bezel is all scratched up because I drop my devices on hard surfaces often but I'm getting a new 8900 from T-Mobile because of build quality issues.

The OS loaded on the device is fine. I liked .231 because it had better battery life. I could go 2 days if I watched my battery during high usage. .250 offers slightly better reception but it doesn't matter because I have UMA.
    08-12-09 06:16 PM
    For the case, I highly suggest Seidio's Innocase II. They may be a little pricey at $30 but it's well worth it. Seidio builds cases, not those flimsy things that Incipio makes. I had an Innocase for my 8320 and it survived some nasty falls and protected my device. I wish I had one for my 8900. The bezel is all scratched up because I drop my devices on hard surfaces often but I'm getting a new 8900 from T-Mobile because of build quality issues.
    When you get the Innocase II for your 8900, you will be very impressed. I liked the Innocase for my 8310 (at first) but then it wore down over time and did not stay closed any longer. The Innocase II design is much improved.
    08-12-09 06:20 PM
    <snip>
    For the case, I highly suggest Seidio's Innocase II. They may be a little pricey at $30 but it's well worth it. Seidio builds cases, not those flimsy things that Incipio makes. <snip>
    From the pictures, the Seido and Incipio look the same almost. I'd say even the cases on eBay look pretty similar. What is nicer about the Innocase that makes it more expensive? Hard to compare by looking at pictures only.
    08-13-09 12:12 PM
    That's a lot of tax, welcome
    08-13-09 12:16 PM
    From the pictures, the Seido and Incipio look the same almost. I'd say even the cases on eBay look pretty similar. What is nicer about the Innocase that makes it more expensive? Hard to compare by looking at pictures only.
    I would say the build quality and durability. Both of those things are next to impossible to show in a picture.
    08-13-09 12:21 PM
    When you get the Innocase II for your 8900, you will be very impressed. I liked the Innocase for my 8310 (at first) but then it wore down over time and did not stay closed any longer. The Innocase II design is much improved.
    I'm not getting an Innocase II for my 8900. I'm selling the 8900 after I get a replacement one. I've always had a problem with the end button and now it's stopped working. The 8900's build quality is a joke. Loose battery cover, trackball problems which are hard to deal with, a crack in the piece that's the back and menu button, and screen banding when you press the end key. I hope the Driftwood is built to same level of the Bold, even the 8320 would be fine. My 8320 had a shifty keyboard but it wasn't a big deal. And yes, I had the same problem of the Innocase not staying together after a drop after a few months.

The Incipio ones are a bit flimsy. I remember seeing a thread on here and the case cracked after an average drop that my Innocase survived multiple time. The Seidio ones are well-built. I would pay more for the better case.
    08-13-09 03:40 PM
    I'm not getting an Innocase II for my 8900. I'm selling the 8900 after I get a replacement one. I've always had a problem with the end button and now it's stopped working. The 8900's build quality is a joke. Loose battery cover, trackball problems which are hard to deal with, a crack in the piece that's the back and menu button, and screen banding when you press the end key. I hope the Driftwood is built to same level of the Bold, even the 8320 would be fine. My 8320 had a shifty keyboard but it wasn't a big deal. And yes, I had the same problem of the Innocase not staying together after a drop after a few months.
    Judging by the one and content all your posts, I think you just have yourself convinced that you don't like the 8900.
    08-13-09 04:40 PM
    Judging by the one and content all your posts, I think you just have yourself convinced that you don't like the 8900.
    It's the way it's always been with the 8900. When I first heard about the 8900, I balked about it because it didn't have 3G. I saw no point for RIM to release a device in late 2008 (at the time). Then when I read the news that T-Mobile would never carry the 9000 Bold, but instead carry the 8900 made my dislike of the device worse. And to respond to one of your posts, AT&T's network sucks in my area. Dropped calls everywhere but this was in the EDGE days and the early days of their 3G network. Plus $20/month for my data compared to $55/month on AT&T. At least I'm finally getting the BlackBerry that's best for me.
    08-13-09 10:10 PM
    It's the way it's always been with the 8900. When I first heard about the 8900, I balked about it because it didn't have 3G. I saw no point for RIM to release a device in late 2008 (at the time). Then when I read the news that T-Mobile would never carry the 9000 Bold, but instead carry the 8900 made my dislike of the device worse. And to respond to one of your posts, AT&T's network sucks in my area. Dropped calls everywhere but this was in the EDGE days and the early days of their 3G network. Plus $20/month for my data compared to $55/month on AT&T. At least I'm finally getting the BlackBerry that's best for me.
    You are entitled to your own opinion but I think the 8900 makes a lot of sense and fills a niche in the Blackberry market. I also think this is evidenced by all the happy users here in the 8900 forum on a daily basis. Furthermore, the 8900 makes the most sense over everything else when it comes to T-mobile because their network is not great (UMA helps a lot here) and their 3G network is much worse still. Eventually, the 8900 will not be necessary but until T-mobile can expand their 3G network to more areas, the 8900 is a great fill-in device in the meantime.
    08-13-09 10:18 PM
    You are entitled to your own opinion but I think the 8900 makes a lot of sense and fills a niche in the Blackberry market. I also think this is evidenced by all the happy users here in the 8900 forum on a daily basis. Furthermore, the 8900 makes the most sense over everything else when it comes to T-mobile because their network is not great (UMA helps a lot here) and their 3G network is much worse still. Eventually, the 8900 will not be necessary but until T-mobile can expand their 3G network to more areas, the 8900 is a great fill-in device in the meantime.
    Truth be told, the 8900 has been a fine device for me. I wouldn't be using it if the 8320 had 96 MB of app memory like the 8330 has. But build quality issues and the cold hard fact that this device should have 3G pains me. My 8320 had no build quality issues except for the shifty keyboard but it didn't shift when typing. T-Mobile's network is the best in the area, I've got full reception at my home and great reception around town. However 1900 MHz isn't known for its indoor penetration.
    08-13-09 11:01 PM
    Truth be told, the 8900 has been a fine device for me. I wouldn't be using it if the 8320 had 96 MB of app memory like the 8330 has. But build quality issues and the cold hard fact that this device should have 3G pains me. My 8320 had no build quality issues except for the shifty keyboard but it didn't shift when typing. T-Mobile's network is the best in the area, I've got full reception at my home and great reception around town. However 1900 MHz isn't known for its indoor penetration.
    Again I have to disagree. The 8900 clearly fills a niche as a non-3G device. The 3G device counter-part to the 8900 is the Bold. The problem in your situation is that T-mobile passed on the Bold.
    08-13-09 11:07 PM
    yall should play the scavenger hunt.
    08-13-09 11:13 PM
    welcome to crackberry!!!
    08-14-09 01:52 AM
    Again I have to disagree. The 8900 clearly fills a niche as a non-3G device. The 3G device counter-part to the 8900 is the Bold. The problem in your situation is that T-mobile passed on the Bold.
    Agree. I went the 3G route and it's not fun having to recharge your device all the time. The 8900 does everything I need it too, and in the rare instances I need a faster data connection to download a large file, wifi.
    08-14-09 09:00 AM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD