As the title says, I just got a 9360 and I'm a BB noob so I was wondering if you guys could help me how to get the best out of my new phone .

What are the things I should do first?

Best recommended apps?

What tweaks and changes should I make?

How do I see what all the keyboard shortcuts are? Also, how do I get reader more on the browser and "I" and "O" don't work as zoom in and out.

How do I customize the LED light for specific notifications and apps?

What are "profiles?"

How do I shut down apps?

How come "app of the day" pops up on my screen?

Is there a way to put my phone in sleep mode (like on the iPhone when you press the button on the top and the screen shuts off) and awakening the phone just by pressing the End button or something similar?

How do I make my phone going to sleep by pressing the End button?

But I don't want the phone to wake up just by any button being pressed because I wouldn't want the phone to wake up by buttons being pressed while the phone is in my pocket.

If there's anything else you think I should know or do please let me know.

Please and thank you.
    02-04-14 08:14 AM
    Welcome to the forums!

What are the things I should do first?

Read the manuals, read the forums, play around with your device. Enjoy the little thing. The rest comes naturally. Then make sure you have BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) set up on your account and hit carrier.blackberry.com to get started for good. No BIS means half the phone will be in offline mode.

Best recommended apps?

Best recommended apps for what. Tell us what you need or you'll turn this into another app list spam fest?

What tweaks and changes should I make?

Settings, themes and accessories. BlackBerry OS is tight and secure so not much you can do on the tweaking side.

How do I see what all the keyboard shortcuts are? Also, how do I get reader more on the browser and "I" and "O" don't work as zoom in and out.

The manuals should have the list. I don't know if the 9360 has reader mode. To zoom, hold **** and and move the trackpad up and down.

How do I customize the LED light for specific notifications and apps?

There should be a setting in the options for that. Make sure you're running 7.1 though.

What are "profiles?"

Notification styles. Loud, Vibrate, Mute, Phone only. You get the picture.

How do I shut down apps?

BB Menu > Close.

How come "app of the day" pops up on my screen?

You must have an app for that. It's not standard behaviour.

Is there a way to put my phone in sleep mode (like on the iPhone when you press the button on the top and the screen shuts off) and awakening the phone just by pressing the End button or something similar?

Yes. Like the iPhone.... Because BlackBerry wasn't doing that long before the iPhone came along. Anyway... Settings > Screen. You'll find a option to turn the screen off after x time. Also, there is Auto On/Off that automatically sends the phone to sleep at X hour.

How do I make my phone going to sleep by pressing the End button?

You don't. You use the top buttom.

But I don't want the phone to wake up just by any button being pressed because I wouldn't want the phone to wake up by buttons being pressed while the phone is in my pocket.

I strongly suggest a hoslter. Still, no worries, the screen will come up but the keybaord won't unlock unless you tell the device to.

If there's anything else you think I should know or do please let me know.

Browser BB World for apps and Shop CrackBerry for gadgets. Holster. Pronto.

Please and thank you.
    02-04-14 08:54 AM
    One of the first things I would do is open Settings and enable Device Analyzer to start the graphing. (alt+BBDA while in Settings)

Depending on which applications you need, ShortcutMe and BeWeather Pro have come in handy/been useful several times for me. I would also recommend most of the BlackBerry developed applications. What types of applications would you use?

Most of the tweaks I could think of relate to theme, wallpaper, icon placement/hiding, sound profiles, and device options. I am sure you will adjust these as you use the device.

You could probably find the entire list of app/OS specific keyboard shortcuts online. Homescreen shortcuts show themselves when you wheel over the app. The app name will have an underlined letter. If I recall, there is no reader mode. Browser shortcuts have to be enable in the browser settings. Alternatively, hold shift and use trackpad.

Profiles are sound profiles for the device. They control the vibration, LED, and sound notifiers for every type of notification for the device.

You shut down applications by going into the app menu and selecting close. Alternatively, press and hold the back key, IIRC.

The pop up on your screen is likely from an application you installed. Pop ups do not normally occur.

AFAIK, there is Auto On/Off or pressing and holding the END key that I would consider puts the device in a standby-like state. See the manual for more detail and clarity. Help - BlackBerry Curve 9350/9360/9370 Smartphones - BlackBerry Curve Series - 7.1

You use the lock button to leave the device on and avoid accidental keypress. You can also press K from the homescreen to lock the device if you use a password.

Anything else? Be prepared for shorter battery life as the 1000mah is not the best. And be gentle with the housing as the rubber can start to peel from different areas after much time and little protection. That was not fun for me.
    02-04-14 09:05 AM