DHL have just delivered me a shiny new curve 8310!!

What's next? It's charging at the moment but what's the deal with downloading the latest"O.S" (I'm not sure what this is!).

I'm a total novice with all of this so be gentle with me please!!

Thanks in Advance
    Jade
    08-11-09 03:36 AM
    First off, don't worry about upgrading to the latest OS.

Spend a few weeks at least learning the ins and outs of your new BB.

Here's a good place to start:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...e-series-4716/

After you put your sim card in your BB and power it on for the first time, the BB should launch the set-up wizard. Go through the set-up wizard and you should be set for the basics.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xliderider; 08-11-09 at 03:45 AM.
    08-11-09 03:40 AM
    The other important thing is to properly close any applications you open after you are done using them. To properly close apps, press the blacberry key to the left of the trackball, then select close/exit. Don't use the back key (right of the trackball) or press the End key (red phone key) to leave applications as this could leave the applications running in your phone's memory. Have enough apps running in the background in memory and your BB will soon slow to a crawl.

08-11-09 03:50 AM
    This is also very VERY important.

Ready?

Do not spill water on it!

Having said that I agree with the above posts. Especially closing applications (that's a biggy!). Just learn it. Play around with things. Determine what it does already, and waht you want it to do because there are a LOT of 3rd party software pieces out there that will make your berry work just the way you want.

I highly HIGHLY recommend a memory card if you plan on using the camera often, or holding lots of ringtones/etc. I store all my media on my memory card.

If you have any questions... just ask.
    08-11-09 06:04 AM
    Welcome Aboard Chief ,

Got the same feeling when my 8320 reached at my doorstep. I just charge for 1 hour then proceed to upgrade on latest OS (.161 that time). Of course I won't advise that to you . Im eyeing on this thread for a couple of months and it's very informative that's why I proceed to upgrading process without any hesitations .

Btw, you can check my sig for tips & tweaks
    08-11-09 06:14 AM
    Well welcome to Crackberry, I can honestly say that upgrading your OS isn't that big of a deal, I did it to my 8310 BEFORE I found Crackberry & was fine, just follow the directions. Like xliderider said, go thru the setup wizard once you turn it on, the main way to learn your Berry is to play around with it plus it's the most fun way to learn! You've also discovered the best tech support already, I found this site by "accident" after I had mine for a while wish I would have had it from day 1, that's for sure! Enjoy your Berry & there are some links in my signature that you may find helpful as well.
    08-11-09 07:13 AM
    DHL have just delivered me a shiny new curve 8310!!

What's next? It's charging at the moment but what's the deal with downloading the latest"O.S" (I'm not sure what this is!).

I'm a total novice with all of this so be gentle with me please!!

Thanks in Advance
    Jade
    Jade,

"O.S." stands for Operating System. As others have mentioned, it isn't really necessary to download the latest, yet. You can get used to your phone, then go from there.

And as others have mentioned, read the posts and advice from the many experts on Crackberry. I have only had my phone for about 3 weeks and have learned a lot of information and ideas from the people on here. They are very knowledgeable and provide reliable information.

Again, Welcome to the Wonderful World of Crackberry.
    08-11-09 09:19 AM
    Listen to this guy. He knows what he's talking about

Welcome to Crackberry and congrats on the new device, you will love it!

First off, don't worry about upgrading to the latest OS.

Spend a few weeks at least learning the ins and outs of your new BB.

Here's a good place to start:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...e-series-4716/

After you put your sim card in your BB and power it on for the first time, the BB should launch the set-up wizard. Go through the set-up wizard and you should be set for the basics.

The other important thing is to properly close any applications you open after you are done using them. To properly close apps, press the blacberry key to the left of the trackball, then select close/exit. Don't use the back key (right of the trackball) or press the End key (red phone key) to leave applications as this could leave the applications running in your phone's memory. Have enough apps running in the background in memory and your BB will soon slow to a crawl.

08-11-09 09:21 AM
    Thank You! I have spent all day playing about (even managed to download a theme!)

Am off to check out the Blackberry 101 tutorials
    08-11-09 01:55 PM
    I also am new here & I can tell you this is the greatest site I've come across. I've only had my BB for a week & this is one of the 1st places I came. A wealth of knowledge.
    Also, Welcome to Crackberry planet
    08-11-09 07:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD