06-19-10 06:17 PM
67 123
tools
    Well after FINALLY FINALLY days of work and tweaking it works. Here's the guide I used plus some other interesting facts. It works perfectly now and I am connecting at almost 1mbps 916kbps something to be exact. I am using tmobiles newest 4.3 desktop software.

Important Fact: When you use the Query modem under advanced diagnostics as long as the very first LINE says SUCCESS it will work, no matter what the others lines say.

Code:
    Prerequisite

RIM BlackBerry Curve handset purchased from T-Mobile

BlackBerry Desktop Manager software installed on the PC

If the CD-Rom is unavailable, visit www.t-mobile.com/bbupgrade to download and install the most recent version of BlackBerry Desktop Manager software.

User must be logged in as Administrator or have administrative privileges in the profile to modify system files

PC with an available USB port

Setting up the device

On the handset, press the Menu button.
    Scroll to Options and press the trackball.
    Scroll to Security Options and press the trackball.
    Scroll to Firewall and press the trackball.
    Scroll to Status and press the trackball.
    Scroll to Disabled and press the trackball.
    Press the Escape button.
    Scroll to Save and press the trackball.
    Press the End Call Button.

Setting up the modem

On the PC, with the handset powered on, connect the USB cable from the USB port to the side of the handset.
    Windows will detect the handset and install all necessary drivers.
    Double click the Desktop Manager icon on the desktop.
    Click Options and then Connection Settings.
    Ensure the Connection drop down displays USB.
    Click Detect.
    When the Warning dialog box appears, click OK.
    When the Success dialog box appears, it should display USB device found, click OK.
    Ensure the Connection field displays USB-PIN: and click OK.
    Click Start and then Control Panel.
    Double click the Phone and Modem Options icon.
    Click the Modems tab.
    Click once on the Standard Modem then click Properties.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Type +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com" in the Extra initialization commands field. (USE THE " AND NOT SINGLE ' FOR THE QUOTES)
    Click OK twice.

Setting up the connection

On the PC, return to the Control Panel.
    Double click the Network Connections icon.
    Under Network Tasks, click Create a new connection.
    A New Connection Wizard will appear, click Next.
    Click to select Connect to the Internet and click Next.
    Click to select Set up my connection manually and click Next.
    Click to select Connect using a dial-up modem and click Next.
    If prompted, click to select Standard Modem over Bluetooth link.
    Ensure it is the only modem selected and then click Next.
    Enter T-Mobile GPRS in the ISP Name field and then click Next.
    Enter *99# in the Phone Number field and then click Next.
    Ensure the User name, Password and Confirm password fields are blank.
    Click to select from the available options and then click Next.
    Click Finish.

Making the connection

On the PC, a Connect T-Mobile GPRS dialog will appear.
    Ensure the User name and Password fields are blank.
    Ensure *99# is displayed in the Dial field.
    Click Dial.
    You will now be connected to the T-Mobile GPRS service
    07-09-08 09:01 PM
    very nice, clean, and concise write-up. do you mind if i repost it for my website? please PM me or post your name for credit if you'll oblige.
    07-09-08 09:05 PM
    That is an awesome and totally useful guide!!

Thank you for the contribution

One question... how is this billed? Just as part of your data? Or is this extra?
    07-09-08 09:06 PM
    That is an awesome and totally useful guide!!

Thank you for the contribution

One question... how is this billed? Just as part of your data? Or is this extra?
    for tmobile it's "free" and unlimited as long as you're paying for a data plan already.

it simply counts as a standard EDGE data connection as if you were just surfing on your phone.
    07-09-08 09:09 PM
    I have this setup with my laptop. Its cool if you are in a jam and need to go online really quick somewhere without wifi.
    07-09-08 09:20 PM
    for tmobile it's "free" and unlimited as long as you're paying for a data plan already.

it simply counts as a standard EDGE data connection as if you were just surfing on your phone.
    Nice info! Thanks

(P.S. You seem to know a ton about TMobile... are you emlpoyed by them?)
    07-09-08 09:24 PM
    Nice info! Thanks

(P.S. You seem to know a ton about TMobile... are you emlpoyed by them?)
    nope.

let's just say i directly provide solutions for them. chances are if there's an upgrade in service that you didnt like, it was probably my fault.
    07-09-08 09:30 PM
    hey this is so kool i am about to try it now but i have a ? i have the blackberry plan BIS and aslong as i have this i wont pay anything extra for tethering and next how are u connecting so fast i though edge had a limit of 200kbps
    thank u
    07-09-08 09:35 PM
    hey this is so kool i am about to try it now but i have a ? i have the blackberry plan BIS and aslong as i have this i wont pay anything extra for tethering and next how are u connecting so fast i though edge had a limit of 200kbps
    thank u
    yes. like i stated above.

edge has a theoretical limit of 384kbps. the reading he's using is probably based on the USB connection speed or he's off by one decimal place and is actually moving at 90-100kbps
    07-09-08 09:38 PM
    I have this setup with my laptop. Its cool if you are in a jam and need to go online really quick somewhere without wifi.

Same here but when I did it there was no easy guide. I had to do a lot of googleing to figure this out.
    07-09-08 09:54 PM
    Are you running XP or Vista? I'm trying to do this on my mom's laptop, running Vista, but it wont let me enter anything in the extra initialization field. Is there a work around for this?

Edit: I figured it out. On Vista there is a extra step. After you click properties, but before you click the advance tab, your need to click on configure settings. Then you'll be able to enter the info needed. Works like a charm.
    Last edited by benkild; 07-10-08 at 01:09 AM.
    07-09-08 11:03 PM
    About 75% of the credit goes to tmobile themselves for the guide I just added a little and changed a few things.

The system that it was done on was a windows media center edition laptop which is basically windows xp pro with some extra features.(Edit, forgot to mention my curve set is 4.2.2 and the dm is 4.3 off the tmobile website)

Tmobile does not charge any tether fees. All they require is a blackberry data plan which currently is 19.95 for unlimited gprs.

Tmobile considers this as regular data usage.

This was done with usb connection and not bluetooth. And no my speed is correct. 916kbps is what I was connected on.

I will get a speedtest screenshot in the morning.

Man that was a long post on my bb lmfao!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by spikedzombies; 07-10-08 at 12:00 AM.
    07-09-08 11:56 PM
    I tried this guide but I get an error stating " hardware failure" when I try to connect. When you input the command in the Extra initialization command field, are you supposed to put spaces or is it all together?
    Last edited by deztructi0n; 07-10-08 at 12:29 AM.
    07-10-08 12:12 AM
    I tried this guide but I get an error stating " hardware failure" when I try to connect. When you input the command in the Extra initialization command field, are you supposed to put spaces or is it all together?
    try without the spaces. thats what i did and it worked.
    07-10-08 01:10 AM
    I'm now tethered!!

I've tried various posts for help in this area....but no luck.

These instructions worked on the first attempt, great how-to!
    07-10-08 06:27 AM
    yeah glad it worked for you guys.

and a picture of the connected speeds

07-10-08 07:40 AM
    Well I allready had it without spaces, but I tried again and it worked so go figure. Thanks for the tutorial!

07-10-08 08:12 AM
    I only manage a 115K connection?
    07-10-08 08:35 AM
    I guess that some places have faster speeds available.

Its going to depend on your location.

Also remember to disable any hardware and software compression, ill add that to the guide aftewr I get off work.

07-10-08 09:11 AM
    I have been using my curve as a tethering (sp.) internet connection on my macbook pro for about 2 months now and it's really really great. as long as you have bars you can have internet. all of my friend be like how you do that, I researched, researched and more research until i found something that work in apple and crackberry forums
    07-10-08 05:07 PM
    I'd always wondered how to do this. Ironically, we had a storm here last night and my internet was out. So I tried this out and it worked like a charm. I wondered if it would prevent me from getting calls but a call came through just fine.
    The only thing is it wouldn't reconnect to the network afterwards. Anyone else experience this?
    To the OP great post, very easy to follow even though I have VISTA, thank you.
    07-11-08 08:10 AM
    yeah ive had some problems lately with it not staying connected to the interweb butg im trying to work on it.
    07-12-08 11:30 AM
    i love this!
    i so needed this!!

thx a bunch
    07-12-08 12:54 PM
    I tried this last night. It worked for a while, then it stopped. When I tried to reconnect it said there was no dial tone. When I tried to troubleshoot the connection i learned that the standard modem had disappeared from the modems list! I have no idea how to go about fixing that. Anyone have any clues?
    07-12-08 01:35 PM
    worked for me, a lil different because of vista as others have said. but not a problem
    07-12-08 07:57 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD