I have just begun having a new issue with my phone where I am getting good service for the phone features (calls, texts, etc. work fine) but I cannot use anything that requires data for periods of anywhere from 2-30 minutes. I have been doing a lot of travelling lately, so I suppose there is a chance that I am just in areas that don't have the best coverage from my provider. However, I just find it weird that I can be in the same area and have it work for a while and then be out for a period of time.

My bbms will be stuck on the hour glass until the data reconnects, I cannot send emails and can't use the browser. Another weird thing about it is that I am able to use my Opera brower when everthing else seems to be shut down. It seems to just happen randomly--I'll be working away and then suddenly it seems to stop.

Does my description of the problem make sense? Is there a way for me to refresh my data connection at all when this happens? Can I do anything with the service books to help solve it?
    06-19-10 10:58 PM
    The only thing that I could even think of here is to check if you are on edge or GSM (GSM doesn't support data) but that wouldn't account for Opera working. I know there are a few spots here that jump to GSM for a bit then back to EDGE.

Probably not much help. Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-19-10 11:30 PM
    When this happens, you need to look and see what your signal is reading.

If it reads "1XEV" (in ALL CAPS), then you getting a good BlackBerry data signal. If it doesn't, then you are not.

Sounds like a carrier network issue more than a device issue.

You can always try a battery pull to try to reset your data connection.
    06-19-10 11:31 PM
    Allow me to show my technical skills by asking, where do I see what kind of signal I am getting? On the home screen? It almost always just shows a 1x there. Nothing about EV.
    06-20-10 09:30 PM
    If it shows "1x", then you are not getting a data signal.

This is typically a sign of a network issue in your area and not a device issue.

In that same area where you see the 1x, you would see 1XEV (in ALL CAPS) if you were getting a full, BlackBerry Data signal.

BBM, email, and all other services that require BlackBerry Data, will not work when you are only receiving 1x.
    06-21-10 06:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD