I have the 8350i on the Nextel system. I am heading for isla mujeres mexico in a few weeks and have a few questions:

Is there service on island?

If so, are there extra charges? Kind of a dumb question however I thought I would ask.

I was led to believe that if there is no service and I have a wireless internet connection everything including phone calls are enabled. So far I see that interenet and e-mail works however I do not see where phone calls can be made. I need some clarification on this

Thanks
    02-21-09 10:38 AM
    I was in Puerto Vallarta last week, nextel and phone worked fine, even 1 mile out on the water
    02-21-09 11:47 AM
    Well, that sounds hopeful! Thanks
    02-25-09 09:30 PM
    when i go to mexico city the phone works along with the dc. if you call by direct connect from your phone to the states it is free. if they call you, you have to let the call screen end and then beep them back to be free, if you use the phone it is $1 per minute.
    02-25-09 09:38 PM
    I was in Isla Mujeres for a week last September and I had service with my US Cellular phone. Was charged a lot for the little amount of time I was on the phone, but service was fine. Beautiful place by the way.
    03-03-09 10:23 AM
    According to the nextel.com.mx site Isla Mujeres does have coverage. Not all the states in Mexico have coverage, but most major cities do.

Data roaming is FREE in Mexico as of right now, according to the Sprint/Nextel site is in a Free Trial but has been like this for a long time.

DC roaming is $0.20 cents a minute but only if you are the one intiating the call. If you are not initiating the call then the other party pays $0.20 cents per minute. You can avoid this charge by getting the $10 International DC add-on, but the other party would have to have it too unless you make sure to be the one who initiates the call all the time, even after the conversation ends for some reason. Still, $0.20 a minute is nothing compared to what a regular US cell phone roaming charge is. The cheapest one I know is AT&T and that's $0.59 a minute.

From my last bill:

35:04 International Direct Connect $7.00

That was me DCing a Nextel in Mexico and roaming in Mexico. They will charge you by the second as well, so it's very very affordable.
    Last edited by havanahjoe; 03-03-09 at 01:27 PM.
    03-03-09 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD