Does anyone know if you can use your BB as a modem for interenet access?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-05-08 01:07 PM
    The answer is "yes."
    Follow the link below for the how to...

How to Use the BB as modem
    09-05-08 01:12 PM
    i am currently using my BB as such, and browsing you post.. deep..
    09-05-08 01:13 PM
    Make sure you have an unlimited data plan as you may end up receiving a huge bill at the end of the month

09-05-08 01:19 PM
    Thank you for the information. There was one of the smartphones that couldn't teather. A friend at work asked me if I teathered or if I could teather because he wants a BB.

09-05-08 01:45 PM
    Is it just me, or is that link broken?
    09-05-08 04:22 PM
    Sorry....
    Here's the post

kcladygemini
    CrackBerry User
    Device Model: 8330 (Curve)
    Carrier: Sprint/Nextel
    PIN: 302B87F4 Join Date: Dec 2007

How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07.30.08***EVEN BETTER NEWS FOR BB USERS***
    If you are on the Sprint network all you need to do is download Sprint SmartView
    and let it do the work for you. AFter you have installed the software (which says it's 37mb but after it was all said and done my PC says 57mb) all you gotta do is plug ur Blackberry in to the USB cable and the Sprint View Software will handle the rest. Lemme know if you have any Q's!!

06.12.08 NEW INFO UPDATE ******Good news for you Addicts with Sprint!!!! If you have an unlimited data plan for your Berry (ie. Simply Everything Plan), you can use these instructions to configure your Berry as a modem WITHOUT paying the additional $39.99 p/m for the Phone As Modem feature and WITHOUT incurring usage charges!!!! I tested this theory with another CB member who has the Simply Everything Plan & doesn't have the Phone As Modem feature. I checked the acct. throughout the bill cycle to make sure no usage charges were stacking up and there wasn't a single one!!!!

Now, the 2nd lil tid bit of info was sent to me by a CB member in Mexico with a few tweaks to the set up instructions for other's in Mexico wanting to use their Berry's as Modems. So, here ya go!!!!......

Under IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    I added +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.itelcel.com"

USER NAME: webgprs / PASSWORD: webgprs2002 / # DIALED: *99#

My carrier is Telcel.
    P.S. This was done on a blackberry 8100 and I can not yet confirm if their will be and additional charge.

***PLEASE READ***
    T-Mobile is the ONLY carrier I can guarantee DOES NOT apply adtn'l charge for using this capability. For charges other carriers apply, most are mentioned throughout the posts here.
    **ALSO**
    Wish I did, but I don't have the instructions for set up on a MAC. T-Mobile will provide MAC OS instructions to you, just call 1.800.937.8997 or 611 from a T-Mob phone & ask for Tier III Tech Support.
    note: don't call from the phone you are setting up as a modem.

Why pay for internet service for your Blackberry & for your home PC? Your Blackberry's gotcha covered, it can do both. All you have to to do is set up yoru computer to recognize your Blackberry as a modem. And, of course, you also have to have an appropriate internet feature on your Blackberry from your carrier. These instructions were created for PC's running XP, but I know for a fact that this will also get the job done with Visa, Vista Premium, & Win 2000. The steps taken to get to the appropriate windows may differ a bit, but the actual set up is the same in all. Here ya go, hope this helps.!!

Verify that you have the Desktop Manager version 4.2 and the software bundle that came with the handheld installed on your computer.

Query the modem, using the modems properties:

1 Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
    2 Double-click on Phone and modem options.
    3 Click on the Modems tab.
    4 Left-click on the modem installed above. (Standard Modem or Standard Modem over Bluetooth)
    5 Click Properties.
    6 Click the Diagnostics tab.
    7 Click Query Modem.
    8 If dialog shows in the empty box, the modem is responding, then continue with the below steps. Otherwise contact WDS Tier III.
    9 Click the Advanced tab.
    10 Check the Extra Initialization Command feild and ensure it is correct.

Enter the initialization command:

1 From your computer, click Start.
    2 Click Control Panel.
    3 Click Phone and Modem Options.
    4 Click the Modems tab.
    5 Scroll to Standard Modem.
    6 Click Properties.
    7 Click the Advanced tab.
    8 In the Extra Initialization Command field, enter the following:

IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    Add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier specific command:

TMOBILE USA
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Rogers Users
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

Cingular Blue/AT&T
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"

Cingular Orange
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

UK Vodafone
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Verizon - Keep blank
    Nextel/Telus iDEN (untested) - Keep blank
    Sprint/Bell Mobility CDMA (untested) - Keep blank

Create dial-up networking :

1 From your computer, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, then Network Connections.
    2 Click Create a new connection, then Next.
    3 Select Connect to Internet.
    4 Select Set up my connection manually.
    5 Select Connect using a dial-up modem.
    6 Select the Standard Modem, then Next.
    7 Enter T-Mobile as the ISP Name.
    8 Enter *99# as the Phone number.
    9 Click Next.
    10 Leave the User name and Password feilds blank.
    11 Deselect all the optional check boxes in the bottom portion of this window.
    12 To create the connection, click Finish.
    13 In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14 In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15 In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
    16 In the Connect window, select Save this user name and password for the following users.
    17 Select the appropriate option.
    18 Confirm that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is running.
    *IMPORTANT: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running, or error 692 will appear during the dial up attempt. (i have 1 connection set for the standard modem, usb cable, & 1 connection set for the standard modem over bluetooth and have no problems getting a connection without connecting to desktop manager)
    19 Open the web browser and navigate to any website to test the connection.

If the laptop/PC connects but Internet Explorer does not, follow these steps:

1 From Internet Explorer, click Tools, then Internet Options....
    2 Click the Connections tab.
    3 From Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings, select T-Mobile.
    4 Click Set Default.
    5 Select Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    6 Click OK.
    7 Click OK again.

That should do it!!
    09-05-08 04:28 PM
    Sorry....
    Here's the post

kcladygemini
    CrackBerry User
    Device Model: 8330 (Curve)
    Carrier: Sprint/Nextel
    PIN: 302B87F4 Join Date: Dec 2007

How To Use Your Blackberry As A Modem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

07.30.08***EVEN BETTER NEWS FOR BB USERS***
    If you are on the Sprint network all you need to do is download Sprint SmartView
    and let it do the work for you. AFter you have installed the software (which says it's 37mb but after it was all said and done my PC says 57mb) all you gotta do is plug ur Blackberry in to the USB cable and the Sprint View Software will handle the rest. Lemme know if you have any Q's!!

06.12.08 NEW INFO UPDATE ******Good news for you Addicts with Sprint!!!! If you have an unlimited data plan for your Berry (ie. Simply Everything Plan), you can use these instructions to configure your Berry as a modem WITHOUT paying the additional $39.99 p/m for the Phone As Modem feature and WITHOUT incurring usage charges!!!! I tested this theory with another CB member who has the Simply Everything Plan & doesn't have the Phone As Modem feature. I checked the acct. throughout the bill cycle to make sure no usage charges were stacking up and there wasn't a single one!!!!

Now, the 2nd lil tid bit of info was sent to me by a CB member in Mexico with a few tweaks to the set up instructions for other's in Mexico wanting to use their Berry's as Modems. So, here ya go!!!!......

Under IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    I added +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.itelcel.com"

USER NAME: webgprs / PASSWORD: webgprs2002 / # DIALED: *99#

My carrier is Telcel.
    P.S. This was done on a blackberry 8100 and I can not yet confirm if their will be and additional charge.

***PLEASE READ***
    T-Mobile is the ONLY carrier I can guarantee DOES NOT apply adtn'l charge for using this capability. For charges other carriers apply, most are mentioned throughout the posts here.
    **ALSO**
    Wish I did, but I don't have the instructions for set up on a MAC. T-Mobile will provide MAC OS instructions to you, just call 1.800.937.8997 or 611 from a T-Mob phone & ask for Tier III Tech Support.
    note: don't call from the phone you are setting up as a modem.

Why pay for internet service for your Blackberry & for your home PC? Your Blackberry's gotcha covered, it can do both. All you have to to do is set up yoru computer to recognize your Blackberry as a modem. And, of course, you also have to have an appropriate internet feature on your Blackberry from your carrier. These instructions were created for PC's running XP, but I know for a fact that this will also get the job done with Visa, Vista Premium, & Win 2000. The steps taken to get to the appropriate windows may differ a bit, but the actual set up is the same in all. Here ya go, hope this helps.!!

Verify that you have the Desktop Manager version 4.2 and the software bundle that came with the handheld installed on your computer.

Query the modem, using the modems properties:

1 Click Start, Settings, Control Panel.
    2 Double-click on Phone and modem options.
    3 Click on the Modems tab.
    4 Left-click on the modem installed above. (Standard Modem or Standard Modem over Bluetooth)
    5 Click Properties.
    6 Click the Diagnostics tab.
    7 Click Query Modem.
    8 If dialog shows in the empty box, the modem is responding, then continue with the below steps. Otherwise contact WDS Tier III.
    9 Click the Advanced tab.
    10 Check the Extra Initialization Command feild and ensure it is correct.

Enter the initialization command:

1 From your computer, click Start.
    2 Click Control Panel.
    3 Click Phone and Modem Options.
    4 Click the Modems tab.
    5 Scroll to Standard Modem.
    6 Click Properties.
    7 Click the Advanced tab.
    8 In the Extra Initialization Command field, enter the following:

IMPORTANT SPECIAL CONFIGURATION STEP
    Add only ONE of the following Extra initialization commands with the appropriate carrier specific command:

TMOBILE USA
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","wap.voicestream.com"

Rogers Users
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet.com"

Cingular Blue/AT&T
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","proxy"

Cingular Orange
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","ISP.CINGULAR"

UK Vodafone
    +cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"

Verizon - Keep blank
    Nextel/Telus iDEN (untested) - Keep blank
    Sprint/Bell Mobility CDMA (untested) - Keep blank

Create dial-up networking :

1 From your computer, click Start, Settings, Control Panel, then Network Connections.
    2 Click Create a new connection, then Next.
    3 Select Connect to Internet.
    4 Select Set up my connection manually.
    5 Select Connect using a dial-up modem.
    6 Select the Standard Modem, then Next.
    7 Enter T-Mobile as the ISP Name.
    8 Enter *99# as the Phone number.
    9 Click Next.
    10 Leave the User name and Password feilds blank.
    11 Deselect all the optional check boxes in the bottom portion of this window.
    12 To create the connection, click Finish.
    13 In the Connect window, click Properties.
    14 In the Properties window, verify that Modem - Standard Modem appears beneath the Connect using heading, then click Configure.
    15 In the Modem Configuration window, clear the Enable hardware flow control check box and make sure none of the other check boxes are selected. Click OK. In the Properties window, click OK.
    16 In the Connect window, select Save this user name and password for the following users.
    17 Select the appropriate option.
    18 Confirm that the BlackBerry Desktop Manager is running.
    *IMPORTANT: BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be running, or error 692 will appear during the dial up attempt. (i have 1 connection set for the standard modem, usb cable, & 1 connection set for the standard modem over bluetooth and have no problems getting a connection without connecting to desktop manager)
    19 Open the web browser and navigate to any website to test the connection.

If the laptop/PC connects but Internet Explorer does not, follow these steps:

1 From Internet Explorer, click Tools, then Internet Options....
    2 Click the Connections tab.
    3 From Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings, select T-Mobile.
    4 Click Set Default.
    5 Select Dial whenever a network connection is not present.
    6 Click OK.
    7 Click OK again.

That should do it!!
    if we use the sprint smartview option, do we avoid paying the $15 extra per month?
    09-05-08 05:48 PM
    Any help for me with O2 in the uk please.##R.
    04-04-09 05:14 PM
    resolved by self
    04-05-09 12:46 PM
    I have a blackberry curve 8330 from Sprint and will eventually tether my phone to my netbook as soon as my external cd/dvd arrives (so I can download the bb desktop from the BlackBerry User Tools cd that came with it). On the Sprint download website, it gives you the SmartView option and also BB Desktop v4.7. After reading some of the forums I noticed that the ONLY requirement to have PAM is to select the SmartView option. Is this true? Assuming that downloading BlackBerry Desktop is necessary (pretty sure it is), would it be wiser to download the version offered on the accompanying cd or would it be ok to download a version off the BlackBerry website (in which case i would not have to wait for my cd/dvd driver). To sum it up do I need BlackBerry Desktop AND SmartView downloaded for tethering, and for Desktop, is better to use CD or use a version of it from BlackBerry website. Thanks for reading and for any answers.
    08-05-09 11:06 PM
    All I use is the BB USB drivers. Go into network on your computer and create a new connection. All you would need then is your carriers number it uses to dial. Similar to DUN. Be wary though, some carriers have a cap on data that can be used per month. Once you reach that cap you net access is done for the month. So no net on your BB even while not tethered.

08-05-09 11:37 PM
    I will keep asking this question in tethering threads:

For Sprint, is there a difference in dialing *99# vs #777? Both appear to work for me. I have used the instructions provided a couple posts back but then read a thread where a guy on Sprint was dialing #777.

Maybe I will create a thread in the Sprint forum.

08-06-09 01:45 AM
    I guess att charges for this?!

08-06-09 09:01 AM
    I guess att charges for this?!

This was my next logical question. Is this tethering feature something that is allowed by the carrier (AT&T in my case)? If not, has anyone been backcharged for this service once their carrier found out about it?
    08-06-09 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD