Hi guys, been lurking the forums since I got my curve but never really posted. I have done tons of searches on crackberry, google, and support forums but no real answer yet.

I have an 8310 from AT&T but it is unlocked and being used with Rogers complete with data and BB services. Current firmware is 4.5.0.163 (257) from vodafone (updated last week or so)

Previously the phone would be stuck in SOS mode for unknown periods of time. To resolve the problem I would go to "manage connections" and turn on/off the connection and hope it will work again. Other times I would hit the phone leg or the desk and do a battery pull (quick pull lite), sometimes it will work again. I took apart the phone and the antenna contacts do not look as good as they could. Signs of wear on the antenna as well as the contacts on the board. Some of the copper has worn off the contacts.

I swapped chassis with another 8310 I had laying around with a broken usb port. The problem went away and I assumed it was fixed. Just last night the phone went into GSM mode again. I did the same steps I had mentioned before and it started to work again.

I have also tried registering the "host tables" and manually setting the mobile network.

I have another chassis and antenna on order as we speak. I also plan to apply a thin layer of solder to the contacts on the main board (the part that touches the antenna).

I was wondering if anyone has any other troubleshooting tips for advice for me. I love this curve and I really don't want to change to another model

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    10-04-09 07:43 PM
    ive caught my phone randomly going into SOS mode or radio off before. not often, however its annoying. i have not been anble to figure out why, but i wrote it off as a network quirk and let it slide.
    10-04-09 07:53 PM
    This is a personal BB so I can't just "write it off" haha

Plus I'm one of those guys that would rather figure something out and understand it rather than just giving up

I have read another thread somewhere that a guy mentioned it was poor surface mount soldering
    10-04-09 08:00 PM
    This is a personal BB so I can't just "write it off" haha

Plus I'm one of those guys that would rather figure something out and understand it rather than just giving up

I have read another thread somewhere that a guy mentioned it was poor surface mount soldering
    this is my personal phone too. i didnt mean "write off" from a business standpoint. i meant it as it was a one or two time event that occurred so randomly, i figured it was due to a network issue and just let it go. i was right, since i lost all network connection for a few minutes right after. a reboot fixed it. how often is this happening to you? ive taken my phone apart before, but have had no hardware related reboots or dropped network coverage from doing so
    10-04-09 08:55 PM
    it doesn't happen very often, but often enough to bug me

i would honestly say maybe once or twice a week??

i have also replaced my sim card with a new one
    10-04-09 09:12 PM
    anyone?? any help or suggestion is appreciated
    10-05-09 12:23 PM
    I'm having this same issue. I know it's been months since your last post but I'm trying to figure it out too. I have to physically squeeze the area over my SIM card (with the battery still in). The phone then works perfectly for a period of time (sometimes hours) and then the same thing happens again. I have to the squeeze it again before it works. I know it's an issue with the SIM being read because whenever it happens, if I go to SIM in phone options it's no longer being seen. I swapped SIMs of course and the same issue occurs.
    07-13-10 03:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD