hi all, not sure if this has been answered before.. but here goes.

basically a friend of mine has a 8520, and i said u upgraded my 8900 to OS5. so she said could i do it to hers. the problem is.. her phone is actually branded from vodaphone, but she is now on o2. so could i install an o2 release and it would work fine? or do i have to use the vodaphone one?

she lives 2 hours away so im walking her through it over the phone so dont want to leave her without a phone if it goes wrong.

sorry if this has been answered before but i wasnt sure on what to search for.

thanx in advance
    d6rr3n
    09-11-10 09:01 AM
    Yes, it will work fine.

Every carrier's OS is the same, the only difference between them is they each contain a file called vendor.xml which will limit the OS to devices branded to that specific carrier.

However, this file can be easily deleted. So if she has a vodafone branded blackberry but you want to install the OS from o2 then all you have to do is download it, delete vendor.xml and it will then work fine.

There are instructions in this guide on how to delete it: How to Install or Upgrade to a New RIM BlackBerry Operating System (OS) with AppLoader | CrackBerry.com

Though you could just install the vodafone OS, would be even easier. I'd recommend using which ever one is offereing the latest build. Any carrier specific stuff like links to their portal are not included in the OS, they are instead downloaded when the phone is turned on.

-iXa
    Last edited by ixa; 09-11-10 at 09:41 AM.
    09-11-10 09:37 AM
    hey mate thanx alot for gettin back to me soo fast.

yeah i thought about thet vendor file. but thought id check. dont think id be much of a friend if i messed up her phone lol

thanx again buddy
    09-11-10 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD