I have downloaded Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger on my Blackberry 8900 ... and it works great but ...

why is it that whenever i'm on a call ... it logs me off YM and MSN?
    10-03-09 02:57 AM
    I have downloaded Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger on my Blackberry 8900 ... and it works great but ...

why is it that whenever i'm on a call ... it logs me off YM and MSN?
    It also happens on my storm.
    I think it may just be the way it is.
    Like the radio may not be able to do 2 things.
    Ex. Phone or IM or Internet... Pick ONE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-09 04:11 AM
    It happens to me too.
    I think it's because it's not using 3G. Data connection in GPRS and EDGE uses the same line for voice, that's why they get cut off because it's being used for phone calls. Whereas 3G can do both at the same time. CMIIW.
    10-03-09 08:26 AM
    Oh ok!...I thought it was just me. Was about to throw my phone on the ground already.

THANK FOR YOUR HELP!!!
    10-03-09 08:40 AM
    @Ryan - can you confirm that this does not happen on a 3G device?
    10-03-09 10:05 AM
    Yas some one pointed out the phone can not do voice and data at the same time. One way around this is to use wifi.
    I can confirm that with wifi you can surf the net and be on an IM program while on a phone call. I have done it multiple times on my 8900.

10-03-09 10:32 AM
    @Ryan - can you confirm that this does not happen on a 3G device?
    I just made a phone call on my Bold while logged in to Yahoo Messenger. Yahoo Messenger did not disconnect. I am on the 3G network.
    10-03-09 10:59 AM
    I just made a phone call on my Bold while logged in to Yahoo Messenger. Yahoo Messenger did not disconnect. I am on the 3G network.
    Well, there goes the confirmation. Thx, lak611.
    I've read about it somewhere here on crackberry. Someone who's more knowledgeable on the technology explained it. And the users of 3G bb have confirmed it's true, just like lak611 did. I'm sorry, it was an old thread, so I can't give the link.

But one thing I should mention. Sometimes my IM doesn't log off after I had a phone call. Usually calls that didn't take too long, only a few minutes. Maybe the bb is smart enough to quickly switch back to data connection. It's usually logged off after calls with long duration, maybe tens of minutes, never really counted.
    Last edited by visualryan; 10-03-09 at 12:34 PM.
    10-03-09 12:16 PM
    yea, 3G allows simultaneous voice and data. EDGE and GPRS do not. an incoming voice call will interrupt and data session you are having while on EDGE/GPRS. however, the one good thing about GSM 3G networks, is it allows both to occur at the same time. one way, as stated above, is to use wifi while on voice. when the phone comes across a voice call incoming or outgoing while in a data session conflict, by default, the voice call will win.
    10-04-09 02:10 AM
    my IM freezes my blackberry
    10-04-09 06:17 PM
    my IM freezes my blackberry
    More information would be helpful if you are looking for assistance.
    10-04-09 06:17 PM
    uhhh i hate that aim and yahoo loggs me off.......( i never notices , till i want to get mad at someone for not replying then i notice im not logged on anymore...GRRRR)...lol
    10-11-09 10:55 PM
    uhhh i hate that aim and yahoo loggs me off.......( i never notices , till i want to get mad at someone for not replying then i notice im not logged on anymore...GRRRR)...lol
    ROFLMAO. That happened to me too, a looot. It's shameful how much anger you can throw out to someone, when they don't even have any idea about it.
    10-12-09 01:18 AM
    Yas some one pointed out the phone can not do voice and data at the same time. One way around this is to use wifi.
    I can confirm that with wifi you can surf the net and be on an IM program while on a phone call. I have done it multiple times on my 8900.

This is a correct statement. If you have WiFi activated on your 8900 you can be on a call and sending IMs at the same time. Or on a call and surfing the internet at the same time.

But if you are on EDGE or GPRS you can only use the phone OR SMS, IM, internet. Not both.
    10-12-09 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD