didn't mean to jack the leaving the 8350 thread, but has anyone found an affordable repeater that works? i have searched and found many people that don't think that they are worth anything. not looking for a little plastic thing to put under the battery. wondering if a vehicle repeater would work for me. i have good coverage outside but good to none inside with no real regularity. have surfed for a while looking them up but the only stuff i find that seems like it has the right frequencies are big bucks, so i thought i would ask the more tec savy crackheads here what they knew
    11-18-09 09:09 PM
    You get what you pay for, honestly. Realize that you run the risk of causing interference to public safety radio communications by using an iDEN amplifier. Translation: FCC fines and/or the local PD at your door. These devices are unregulated by the FCC provided you don't cause interference. If you need one, I'd suggest it be specified and installed by a qualified radio technician.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-09 09:33 PM
    Lol I put more radios out of service then most guys in the dept. Funny thing when you use them as a wheel chock they don't last. Realisticly I do know about the interference, we used to have a repeater system at the firehouse till they stopped using nextel for the chiefs(they got a cheeper deal). And you do get what you pay for, just not able to go for the 800 bucks for a rental apt for a full set up

11-18-09 09:51 PM
    I'm thinking you mean linear amplifier if so yes a company called Wilson makes em for all types of cellphones CDMA, GSM, GPRS, IDEN and they work quite well they also make beam antennas as well as omni antennas. I have one that operates in the CDMA band and they are easy to set up no license needed and you should not hafta worry about bleeding into other services.
    Some are passive hook up some are direct antenna hook up depends on your phone. Blackberries have no antanna hook up (Jack on the side or back) so it will be a passive hook up in other words you will hook into the system by way of a patch cord that hooks on to the back of your phone by way of Velcro or you can mount it too the dash and speak into the phone vie headset the passive mount can be attatched to the dash. I will need more info on your set up to tell the right way to do it is it house or mobile??? etc...

The cost is in the $300.00 range.
    11-18-09 09:55 PM
    I'm looking to use it in a house. Actualy an appartment that I don't feel like going crazy running wires in. If I am outside I am fine, just once I walk into the building it is iffy. That's why I was thinking about using a car setup inside. Lol I can just about see the cell tower from my place. Would prefer one that didn't need a cradel or wired hook up, guess ill decide that when I find a price difference

11-18-09 10:05 PM
    Black, what kind of wire does yours use from the outside antenna to the booster? I know I have a few coax lines not being used. Thinking I could use those to get outside and just hook the inside antenna right to the wall plate. Lools like all the connections are for RG6 so should be no problem

11-18-09 10:17 PM
    Hey guys,

I've had a Wilson at my house for almost a year now. I get decent reception and transmission from it. I bought it off eBay for less than $200 and it is great. I had no service inside my house until I got it and now I have most times 3 to 4 bars. Make sure you know what you're doing or have a certified tech install it.

I like it myself. I didn't get any kind of license to use it and so far have had no trouble.
    11-18-09 11:46 PM
    Black, what kind of wire does yours use from the outside antenna to the booster? I know I have a few coax lines not being used. Thinking I could use those to get outside and just hook the inside antenna right to the wall plate. Lools like all the connections are for RG6 so should be no problem

If I recall the cable from the amp to the antenna is not a RG6, it is some oversized cable. We put it in ourselves and it does work as I unplugged it the other day and our signals fell off. We still have dead areas in the office though, which we can't figure out, even in line of site of the indoor antenna.

I believe we got it through WilsonDirect. I can look at it further for what we bought if you want.
    11-19-09 08:53 AM
    Thanks guys. Think I'm going to have to start searching ebay and craigs list to piece one together

11-19-09 11:00 PM
    @bow40: I am experiencing a similar results: please post the results of your experiment and any lessons learned. Thank you.
    11-20-09 05:27 AM
    I will let ya know. Going to take a while, every time I start looking stuff up I get lost in the frequency info, then they start with the rebanding talk. I looked up what this phone operates on but if I'm going to do it I want to make sure that if I make it to the next version of the phone the system will still be good. If anyone else is doing any research or comes across something let us know.

11-20-09 06:58 AM
    Note: RG6 cable has 75 ohms impedance. You need to use 50 ohms impedance cable. If you're running a long length of cable, I'd suggest using 1/4" superflex cable for lower loss. I'd suggest looking on Tessco's web site for that kinda stuff. TESSCO-Wireless Network and Mobile Communications Products: Network Infrastructure, Mobile Devices & Accessories, Tools & Test Equipment

11-20-09 08:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD