k so today i decide to update my software on my phone as telus had sent me a notice that one was available. So I did it. Now I don't have BBM, all of my apps are gone, and it failed to back up the previous info before the new software was loaded.

So what do I do? Im i screwed, and just have to start over? help please! thanks
    08-22-09 02:42 PM
    Did you backup your blackberry using Desktop Manager before you did the upgrade?
    08-22-09 02:43 PM
    i tried, but it failed
    08-22-09 02:44 PM
    So you don't have a backup file right now if I understand correctly, right? In this case, try wiping your phone back to defaults but keep in mind that the contacts will be lost since you did not do an backup beforehand...it will be back to the way you got the phone (factory defaults, no 3rd party apps, etc.)
    08-22-09 02:45 PM
    i tried, but it failed
    Opps. If Backup fails, there is no way to reinstall the data and settings during a rebuild.

You must address the backup issue first, not doing that has consequences, as you have noted.

Have you been able to make a backup in the past? If so, there should be at a file named Auto or Backup(date).ipd saved in your documents directory. If not, all of your data is lost.

The cause of the backup failure is likely a corrupted database. Run backup until it fails, note the database that caused the failure. Use Advanced Restore to recover or purge that part of the database.

You missing third party application will have to be reinstalled and reactivated. Contact your vendor for information about the process.

Missing native applications like BlackBerry Messenger can be recovered with Applications Loader, but you will have to locate, download and install a copy of the current device OS to do that.

08-22-09 02:52 PM
    alright, so i have my contacts. got my bbm running, but with no contacts. All my 3rd party apps are gone, most were free, but nice to have. I just wish i never did this update.
    08-22-09 03:06 PM
    alright, so i have my contacts. . . . but with no contacts.
    HUH??

All my 3rd party apps are gone, most were free, but nice to have.
    The free ones will probably cost you about $0.00 to reinstall.

It looks as though all of these problems were a result of not having a correct backup before you tried to do the update.

In the future, it's a good idea to make fairly regular backups to ensure you don't lose your data.
    * If your BB goes swimming, plays in traffic, or runs away from home, you might not get a second chance to back it up later, either.
    Just a good practice, IMO.
    08-22-09 03:27 PM
    so i have my contacts... but with no contacts.
    Can I quote that in my sig? Please??

I do almost daily backups, and never had it fail. If it does fail just try again.
    08-22-09 04:02 PM
    what i meant was, I have my address book contacts, but i do not have my bbm contacts.

problem is pretty much solved, i'm just a dumb *** and needs to back up my **** more often. Thanks for the help.
    08-22-09 04:04 PM
    * If your BB goes swimming, plays in traffic, or runs away from home, you might not get a second chance to back it up later, either.
    Just a good practice, IMO.
    OMFG! I LOL'D so hard.
    08-22-09 04:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD