Hi everyone..i am the new owner of a blackberry curve..now i know this is gonna make some of you cringe but maybe someone can help me..i had a 1 gig card in my old motorola phone, i had pics on it..i put it in my curve, and it worked, i tried putting it in the handy dandy adapter and putting the files on my puter so i could send them to the 2 gig card that verizon gave me in some bundle..in the process the i gig card is wiped and i lost all that stuff but i had some of it on my hard drive so i plugged in the 2 gig and so while i had the 2 gig plugged in i added some pic files cut and paste..now the card won't open on my puter and when its in my blackberry it freezes up the whole darn thing and i can't do anything so i have to take it out..now don't laugh at me i have owned the blackberry for 3 days and i am so pissed at myself for messing with things..what can i do? if i plug the blackberry with the card into my puter it freezes up the phone..and if i put the card alone into my puter it won't read..arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh is it hopeless?
    08-25-09 09:44 PM
    Ummm... ok i'm really confused but I think the first step is needing to put what you can on your PC and then format the card within the phone so those formats match, then try dragging the files back into the card going into the phone...
    08-25-09 10:00 PM
    Try to format the card in your computer, and then reformat it in your blackberry. You can copy and paste the files from your computer to media card directly. Go to Options>Media card>Media card support: ON>Auto enable mass storage support when connected: YES or PROMPT
    08-25-09 11:49 PM
    Take your receipt and the memory card back to Verizon and ask them for another card. A 2GB card isn't really worth much any way.

You're pretty much stuck since the card isn't readable on either your BB or the computer.

I hope your BB fares better under your care than your memory cards do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 12:00 AM
    P.S. Maybe you should consider adding on insurance for your BB, if you don't already have it, while you are within the first 30 days.

08-26-09 12:01 AM
    Hey, it could be a lot worse... You could have fried your BB!!
    Since the memory card is freezing in both the computer and the BB maybe you should just get new one (unless of course one of the bb geniuses has a tip to reformatting!). The 83xx doesn't have a ton of onboard memory so a card w/more capacity would be good.
    08-26-09 12:09 AM
    When you get the replacement memory card, put it into your BB and format it before you try and put any files on it.

Once the card is formatted, don't take it out of your BB. To transfer files to your memory card, enable Mass Storage Mode. Options, Media Card. Enable Mass Storage Mode, set to Prompt when connected. Save.

Connect your BB to your PC using the usb data cable. Answer Yes to the Prompt that appears on your BB. Your BB will appear on your computer as a removable drive (Blackberry).

Pictures go in the Blackberry\Pictures folder. Music goes in the Blackberry\Music folder, etc.

08-26-09 12:13 AM
    Thanks to everyone who posted. A good night sleep helped too. I will replace the card, format and not mourn the loss of some media. Oh and btw I DID get the insurance but I don't plan anymore procedures without checking for help files first.thanks again!!!!!

08-26-09 05:14 AM
    trying booting a ubuntu cd will give you more access when you look at your card on your PC, before you give up on your media
    08-26-09 01:19 PM
    Lemme ask you guys a different question please- when I plug my BB into the puter a note comes up on my BB re: mass storage- what does that mean and what is the right action?

08-26-09 01:30 PM
    If you have a working memory card, you answer Yes to enable Mass Storage Mode which makes your BB appear as a removable drive on your computer.

If you are trying to use Desktop Manager to backup your phone, or load an application, then you would answer No to the prompt to enable Mass Storage Mode. Desktop Manager cannot access the BB when it is in Mass Storage Mode.

Is this with your replacement memory card which has been properly formatted in your phone?

Last edited by xliderider; 08-26-09 at 02:00 PM.
    08-26-09 01:57 PM
    didn't get a new card to day <snear> but I will tomorrow and then I will format it correctly and follow all of your wise advice...also thanks for the info about mass storage that makes sense.

08-26-09 06:59 PM
    Ok my new friends I have purchased a new 4g card, installed it, formated it in the phone, plugged into my computer using mass storage, moved files from my puter into the appropriate folders on my blackberry. TA-DA!! I have one lingering question, there are some photos that are still on my device memory and i can't figure out how to move them to the storage..do i move 'em off the BB onto my puter and back again? is there an internal way on the BB and how do I highlight more than one photo?

I am much relieved, I found the file on my computer from my original fried 1g card that was on my old Motorola V9 phone and was able to transfer some pics onto the BB that I thought were gone forever.

You guys are very patient, very knowledgeable and very generous to take the time to help us newbies..

Thanks!
    08-27-09 07:23 PM
    You can move one file at a time. Go to Media, Menu, Explore. Navigate to Device Memory, find your Pictures folder and highlight your pic, Menu, Move. Navigate up and back to your Media Card, go to your Pictures folder, Menu, Move Here. Repeat.

08-27-09 07:40 PM
    Thanks again things are going well now. I have to tackle backing this up onto my puter. This forum/website is so incredibly informative. I appreciate the help.
    :>

08-29-09 02:24 PM
    You are welcome.

Make sure your pictures taken with your camera go to your media card:

Camera, Menu, Options, Store Pictures: On Media Card. Save.
    08-29-09 02:32 PM
    Lol.. that I figured out right away..it was moving stuff that got parked on the device memory when I was cardless that got me stumped..or at best looking for a shortcut.Seems ringtones go there automatically.
    :>

08-30-09 06:14 AM
    I have a similar problem. I screwed up the 16GB media card in my new Blackberry Tour when I deleted one of two "music" folders and some other folders via drag-and-drop on my computer. All the songs are still listed in the music player, sometimes twice, event though the song may no longer be on the media card. I decided to start fresh and got a new 16GB media card. When I check under Memory it shows it as empty, but all the old music is still listed in the music player. I had deleted the playlist files because I was going to start over. Now I can't build playlists. The music player won't let me delete any of the phantom music listings. How do I clear it out to start over?
    09-06-09 01:05 PM
    Okay, I found something over on Blackberry Forums that suggested pulling the battery and forcing a reboot. The music player rescanned on boot up, so my problem may be fixed. I yanked the battery again, took out the new 16GB media card, and replaced it with my old 16GB card that I had "rearranged". It rescanned and seems to be working fine now. As an old computer geek I should have thought of this. I can't count the number of times I've fixed PC problems by rebooting. It just makes sense that the same might work on smart phones. I can use the new 16GB media card to take videos and pictures on my next vacation.
    09-06-09 02:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD