Like many of you out there, I waited along time for the release of this BB. After actually getting it in my hands and working through the kinks, I can easily see this phone being part of my life for awhile. If you feel the same way, please sound off here. *And please, no sad stories, I've heard just about all of them and this ain't the place for them.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 10:22 PM
    Anyone else think it might not be a good sign that there have been no replies?
    01-12-09 11:39 AM
    All right, already!! I've read (and heard) enough gripes about this phone! I, too, jumped on the bandwagon and bought this phone when it first came out, and, yes, I also experienced the MMS, battery pull, and reset problems; HOWEVER, everyone has to realize that this is, indeed, a new phone, and every new product has development "glitches" and bugs. The price we pay for being first on the block with the new toy is that we become Beta testers for the company.

I spent one or two hours on the Nextel internet chat lines, and altogether less than an hour on the landline with BB techs, and, I'm very happy to say, the glitches seem to be worked out. The tech-types are becoming more knowledgeable about fixes, and RIM seems to be diligently working on fixes as problems come up.

As to specifics; I have been with Nextel for more than ten years. I first switched from AT&T because I couldn't get coverage at my home. Nextel works GREAT in CA, but not-so-good in the rest of the country; I do a lot of X-country touring on my motorcycle, and I've learned to use a cheapo Verizon "throwaway" phone while I travel (Verizon works great across most of the midwest, but, again, zilch coverage at my house).

I was "the first on the block" to get the BB 7520 when it came out, and, yeah, that phone had a lot of bugs and glitches in it too. I stuck with the company, and the phone, and everything got sorted out. I rely on the BB to keep me online with my business when I'm away from my mainframe computer, and the 7520 came to be 100% reliable - loved the phone, but, god, it was U-G-L-Y!! I dropped the phone while on the freeway, on my bike, and replaced it with a 7100i; again, "new phone" issues which were eventually resolved.

I was not happy about the Nextel/Sprint merger, because I don't believe Sprint really cares about us Nextel guys; there are now rumors that Sprint is looking to dump Nextel, and I think we will be better off.

I seldom give advice, but I would suggest waiting through the "honeymoon" period with the 8350i, because I think that it's going to be a great phone. With most of the bugs worked out of mine, my main complaint is the short charge-life of the battery; other than that, I am learning to really love this phone.
    01-12-09 12:05 PM
    I received my 8350i on 12/16/08 and have had to deal with the mms problems, but by reading a few posts on this forum I have managed to get it to work for the most part and am lovin it...
    01-12-09 12:29 PM
    I agree i hope that sprint pulls off from Nextel but then you have to wonder what will happen if that did happen remember not alot of people like Nextel there isnt that big of a fan base i've been with them since they started when we had the big brick phone. but like you said with any new phone there will be bugs.
    01-12-09 12:30 PM
    Love the 8350i, beats 7100i that's for sure.
    01-12-09 12:33 PM
    I dont LOVE it, I like it, I'll LOVE it when SMS/MMS gets fixed. otherwise its cool, the battery life is jacked up and you cant use any other berry battery with it (which sucks cuz i have many) but otherwise, its cool, just need that mms fix already.
    01-12-09 02:36 PM
    Yeah I would have to say that I am well on my way to an addiction the nextel network is slow but maybe sprint will bring the WiDEN network back to make it 3g fast that would be nice

01-12-09 03:22 PM
    I also am a proud owner take a look at this thread
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f137/8350i-love-117494/
    01-12-09 03:39 PM
    Love It Love It Love It
    01-12-09 10:05 PM
    I dont know what happened but all of a sudden my mms is working fine now i guess it was a combo of the post that i read on how to get a semi text and them fixing it. but as far as i know when i called today they said that there is still no time table to when it will be fixed.
    01-13-09 01:56 AM
    I like the blackberry 8350i a lot. Despite it's texting issues, it's still a leap from what I used to have (Samsung A900M). I can check my emails and browse the web flawlessly now.
    01-13-09 09:26 AM
    Love it! It beats any other smartphone that Nextel/Sprint has.
    01-13-09 01:18 PM
    I like the phone, mine is working fine, even the "texting" issue hasn't bitten in the last week........

I just wish the network would get an upgrade so people who own this phone could more fully use it to its potential.....that is afterall why we got it.
    01-13-09 05:11 PM
    I like the phone, mine is working fine, even the "texting" issue hasn't bitten in the last week........

I just wish the network would get an upgrade so people who own this phone could more fully use it to its potential.....that is afterall why we got it.
    I agree! I hear that WiDEN is out of the question though... idk
    01-13-09 07:56 PM
    OK, so from the beginning, I was one of the users with no texting right from the get go on the 17th Dec.

On Monday (1-12-09 at 9am) I was doing my 'almost' daily call in and maybe it was just by luck, but I landed this younger CSR named Rusty. I wasn't mad or upset, or any of that, (it's just a phone), but I was dissatisfied that after so many call in's, we weren't getting anywhere.

Now came Rusty's turn. I explained what has been tried in the numerous calls and that the problem continues to persist, and we went thru a couple of the usual moves, (always do the easy stuff first, right), and still, the texting didn't work.

I figured this was near the end of the call, so I was grabbing my keys and getting ready to leave the house. Rusty said he noticed some things on my account that weren't set right, he put me on hold for a minute, and came back on, and asked if I could do a device wipe with him. (time consuming) I said yeah, lets do it, and I made a backup in desktop manager. He walked thru the process of sweeping out the device all the way back to bare bones and reloading the OS and service books, and ONLY restoring my address book. He explained that if there was something buggy that got put in the backup, it was a chance it would be put back in if I restored all the app's that were wiped.

Now, FINALLY, the phone came to life the way it should be. We went back and forth with texts, PIN's and emails. He checked the voicemail, restored my email addresses the way they were, reset my user name and password in BIS, and double checked all of it.

In total, it took over TWO HOURS with him on the phone (we didn't finish up till almost 11:30) and not once did I get the impression he was getting frustrated. I had the sense that he actually wanted to get accomplished what he did, and make the damn phone work the way it is intended.

Now, it's two days later. I've been purposely going real hard with the texts and various functions on the phone and everything runs flawless. It seems like the entire phone runs faster than it did before, switching between functions and browsing the net. I've been keeping an eye on the texting speed and they average around 4-6 seconds, I haven't missed a singe one, and right now, my online call log says I've done around 350 texts with a half dozen people who use different carriers.

In summary:

I've been a nextel customer for over 12 years now. I use this phone for business and it performs perfectly the way I need it to. I know it's on iDen and the OTA data speeds are slower, but I don't need a toy to watch TV on, I have 5 LCD's in my home and that's enough brain sucking television in my life as it is. I need the DC to direct employees and conduct every day biz. Other than the lack of streaming vid, the browser actually does do a nice job. Sites load at a pretty decent speed all things considered, functions that are important to me, like email, work absolutely perfect and with incredible speed. On top of it all, when I get near one of my WIFI's, well all I can say is 3G can bite me, this sucker can and will fly on WIFI.

All it took was a great CSR who was wiling to put in the time to iron out, or at least temporarily fix, the ongoing issues we're having. I wish there was a way to put in a good word with this guys boss, because I feel he really does deserve a pat on the back, (and a few more bucks in his wallet.)

Thanks,
    Jared
    Last edited by Jared1107; 01-14-09 at 02:38 PM.
    01-13-09 10:07 PM
    Jared, what number did you call?

Also, how did you save your contacts from the sim card onto your pc?
    thanks.
    01-13-09 10:31 PM
    Nextels BB tech side. # is 866-275-1072

In this phone, your contacts aren't on your sim, they're on the device itself. You can put them on the sim one at a time (BB menu key), but, by default, when you add one to the list, it is stored on the phone.

I used BB desktop manager to do a backup of the contacts list and it gets stored in a folder on your computer. To go one step further, you can use desktop to do a sync with outlook express and al your contacts wi be stored there as well. This is nice as you can make changes in your outlook address book, then sync it up to the phone. It's doesn't, however, show the DC #s in outlook, but they dont get knocked off the phone when you sync up either.
    Last edited by Jared1107; 01-15-09 at 07:13 PM.
    01-13-09 10:38 PM
    ^FYI, direct connect numbers are stored in Outlook under the radio tab in the drop down box. You can input the numbers there and they will show and work correctly in the 8350i.
    Rob
    01-14-09 02:08 PM
    BTW, count me as a happy and satisfied owner of the 8350i. There are few things that I would like changed, but I'm sure we will see those changes eventually.
    Rob
    01-14-09 02:09 PM
    I am a proud owner as of 12/24, wheb I received my replacement. Wasn't too satisfied with my first one but this one has been treating me well.

01-15-09 07:08 PM
    I love mine, Ole Dan and the Nextel guys finally got something right. I left Nextel after 8 years and tried every other carrier except Verizon. I always had a feeling I would come back, just cant live without my DC. This new curve was the only exscuse I needed. I'm back and happier than ever.
    01-16-09 07:11 AM
    I've had mine for about 2 weeks now and couldn't be happier. I haven't had any problems with mine and, coming from a 7100i, this is like night and day :-)
    01-17-09 03:13 PM
    Aside from an issue that did not allow me to send emails at first, I love this phone! This is my first BB (I had an ic902), and I have spent all weekend downloading apps, surfing the web, watching You Tube vids, and doing mobile uploads to facebook and myspace. Any app recommendations you would like to throw at a first timer are welcome!
    01-18-09 12:21 PM
    Poor Rusty's gonna have a million requests,

01-18-09 02:25 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD