I know the appts were there yesterday! I haven't done anything or made any changes. Now every appt before October 1st is GONE!

Now before anyone hastily says, you're SOL. Here's the thing. I'm dealing with some major brain issues, one of which is a memory problem (ie. I have no memory of any appt I had last week more less two weeks ago or that matter last month). And I generally keep notes with my docs on the appts. As it stands right now, I couldn't tell my Neurologist when I had what test when, etc, etc.

No, sorry, haven't backed anything up since I was at Mayo Clinic - which was early in the summer (maybe it was spring). It was this year

Is there any service out there that can recover the data - like when you're computer hard drive dies?

O, yeah, I have the curve 8320
    Last edited by dcrats; 10-10-09 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Include device type
    10-10-09 02:16 PM
    did you change themes or do anything that you remember to the berry. I know you said you did not but...
    10-10-09 02:53 PM
    With out a back up you're hosed. But check this, go into calendar>Menu>select calender. Make sure Show all is checked.
    10-10-09 02:56 PM
    Several things could cause this.

1). Go into Calendar and press Menu and select Options, now go to General Options and scroll down to Keep Messages. Check the number of days to keep appointments. If you have exceeded this, then the phone will automatically delete them.

2). Go to Options, Status. Read off the File Free number. If this is less than 12Mb, then the phone may well delete stuff just to keep itself alive.

3). If you have the FaceBook app installed, uninstall it now and see if this changes things. It might just bring your lost data back again.

4). Go to Options, Advanced Options, Service Book. Scroll down looking for any facebook entries, if you find one, highlight it and press Menu and select Delete. This also may well bring your lost data back again.

Any one of these things can cause this. I realize that I am telling you to close the barn door after the horse has bolted but doing a Backup and, I think as important a sync to Outlook which gives you a human readable copy of your precious data.

If yuo do not have Outlook then you can sync to Outlook Express (Windows Live Mail) and save your contacts to an ASCII (text) file that cab be read by Desktop Manageer and put back onto your phone.

You can also sync to GMail and Yahoo mail.

I am sorry that yu have lost data and there is really no way to recover it unless you have a Backup or have sync'ed.
    10-10-09 03:10 PM
    Hi. Thanks. Emails are to be "forever"... I think it's a memory problem and have gone an bought a memory card, but the data lost is beyond comprehensible. I'm actually quite surprised the data can't be recovered. I was able to send a Palm out for data recovery when one died and I'd hadn't done a backup (and that was way back 5/6 years ago - and I had a memory then). I do appreciate your trying though.
    10-10-09 09:04 PM
    Just a note that a memory card (which on a BlackBerry is called a Media Card because it's only for storing media) won't help this situation.
    '
    The device data is only stored on the device memory and not on the Media Card.

Going forward, I would recommend backing up DAILY. And syncing daily as well if possible. And also doing a daily battery pull and trying to check the free memory on a regular (daily) basis.
    10-10-09 09:23 PM
    Hi. Thanks. Emails are to be "forever"... I think it's a memory problem and have gone an bought a memory card, but the data lost is beyond comprehensible. I'm actually quite surprised the data can't be recovered. I was able to send a Palm out for data recovery when one died and I'd hadn't done a backup (and that was way back 5/6 years ago - and I had a memory then). I do appreciate your trying though.
    Settting Messages to be kept forever is a bit dangerous. Here's why. Your BlackBerry has a finite amount of memory. Like a bucket, a dripping faucet (emails) will ultimately fill it up. Like a full bucket with water still flowing in, this will bring its own problems.

If you contact RIM, who make BlackBerrys, they may be able to help you here.
    10-11-09 04:25 AM
    If you have medical information that you don't want to loose then check out BerryMed by Geeneeus. It's FREE at the Crackberry/Mobihand Store.
    That may be a better solution for you than relying on the device calendar for DR notes you want to remember.
    Sorry about your problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 04:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD