Hi folks,

I just joined few minutes ago with Crackberry forum. I'm very glad I found this site. I'm going to purchase 8310 Curve Titanium hopefully this weekend. Does this phone support Global Positioning System? If so, does it talk when we need to make a turn? What about email software, can we sync it with our Microsoft Outlook? And lastly, can it be installed with an SSH client so I can connect to my unix server via ssh? I also read a post from someone that this phone does not support WiFi. If it had the Wifi support, what can we do with it?

And also, for playing videos, what type of video format does this phone support?

Thanks in advance!

Neil
    Last edited by d3f4ultr0; 10-12-07 at 11:43 PM.
    10-12-07 11:34 PM
    freak, I was at AT&T store today and they told me that they are not selling 8310 yet. They shouldn't have advertise it yet.

And also, I found out that if it has GPS features, I have to pay $29/month additional. Looks like I'm better of buying Magellan. They also explained to me what wifi can do however, it is true that 8310 doesn't have support. If I really want, they told me to buy the their 8820 which is one their display. Sigh! I should not have expected so much from it. L8R.
    10-13-07 09:03 PM
    You can use Google Maps free with the GPS from what I've head.
    10-13-07 10:31 PM
    You can use Google Maps free with the GPS from what I've head.
    But can Google Maps be integrated with Curve? Is it something that we install or do we just open up Internet Explorer in Blackberry and then we go to maps.google.com?

Can anyone confirm if we can really use GPS for free on a Blackberry? If not, then I'll just have to buy a dedicated GPS device then go with 8300.

By the way, I don't have a Blackberry yet and have never used one as well.

Thanks,

Neil
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-14-07 at 02:03 PM.
    10-13-07 11:24 PM
    go here in the blackberry browser and install directly to the phone.

Google Maps

it works with the internal gps just fine.
    Last edited by Trevor; 10-14-07 at 02:03 PM.
    10-14-07 01:46 PM
    The $29 AT&T is asking you to pay is not for the GPS, it's for the unlimted data package. I have the new Tilt with GPS & I am getting a BB 8310 for backup. With the GPS you can use Google maps or BB maps for free. No voice turn by turn. I have used it and it works great. Especially to look up local business. I also have the $9.99 Telanav and that woks geat. Better than Verizon Navigator.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-07 07:34 PM
    The $29 AT&T is asking you to pay is not for the GPS, it's for the unlimted data package. I have the new Tilt with GPS & I am getting a BB 8310 for backup. With the GPS you can use Google maps or BB maps for free. No voice turn by turn. I have used it and it works great. Especially to look up local business. I also have the $9.99 Telanav and that woks geat. Better than Verizon Navigator.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think what you meant to say was you are going to be using the Tilt as backup.
    10-14-07 07:37 PM
    I have the new Tilt with GPS & I am getting a BB 8310 for backup.
    I know I'm a dope, but isn't having an 8310 for a "back-up" device kind of pricey and a waste?

If someone could explain that rationale to me, I'd appreciate it.
    10-15-07 12:06 AM
    go here in the blackberry browser and install directly to the phone.

it works with the internal gps just fine.
    I will do that on Wednesday. So, how do we install, can you give me instructions please?

Btw, we ordered my 8310 this morning woohoo

So, are you saying that I really don't need to pay any monthly for GPS? But what is that $29/month that I added? It says data subscription. Is that for the internet and GPS?

Does the GPS talk like it says "at 500 ft, turn left at I-178".

Thanks!

EDIT: Just read the post above that it does not talk for turn by turn. Why? How can we do that? It might be hard while driving and looking at the 8310. I'm assuming that the $29 is only for Internet access and has nothing to do with GPS. And also, like what you guys said, that GPS access is free and all I need to do is go to BB browser and go to the link posted above, correct?
    Last edited by d3f4ultr0; 10-15-07 at 09:50 AM.
    10-15-07 09:46 AM
    I will do that on Wednesday. So, how do we install, can you give me instructions please?

So, are you saying that I really don't need to pay any monthly for GPS? But what is that $29/month that I added? It says data subscription. Is that for the internet and GPS?

Thanks!

EDIT: Just read the post above that it does not talk for turn by turn. Why? How can we do that? It might be hard while driving and looking at the 8310. I'm assuming that the $29 is only for Internet access and has nothing to do with GPS. And also, like what you guys said, that GPS access is free and all I need to do is go to BB browser and go to the link posted above, correct?
    The $29 is for the unlimited data package. I would recommend getting the unlimited package since the GPS does use the data portion of the phone.

If you want a Text to Voice (a voice telling you turn left at Blank st. 500 FT) you can get Telenav from AT&T for $9.99 a month or you can go with TOMTOM that cost you about $100 to purchase the software, no monthly charge. I use Telenav and for me, it works great.
    10-16-07 03:27 AM
    I know I'm a dope, but isn't having an 8310 for a "back-up" device kind of pricey and a waste?

If someone could explain that rationale to me, I'd appreciate it.
    I'll be switching back and forth from the 8310 and Tilt. I prefer the 8310, but since I will be testing the Tilt for our company, I have to use it. I do agree, buying a $400 phone for backup, is a little pricy, and I probably wouldn't do it if it came out of my pocket.
    10-16-07 03:29 AM

Thanks!

I forgot to mention, besides google maps, you can us Blackberry Maps that comes on the phone, or if it is not there you can download it from your phone. It works like google maps.
    10-16-07 03:32 AM
    How do you like the tilt over the Blackberry?
    10-16-07 07:31 AM
    I forgot to mention, besides google maps, you can us Blackberry Maps that comes on the phone, or if it is not there you can download it from your phone. It works like google maps.
    And GPS is free, correct? Sorry folks, the phone hasn't arrived yet so I can't test. Am I correct that this phone supports turn by turn but no voice support, correct?

Thanks!
    10-16-07 08:04 AM
    I'm very sad that I ordered a wrong phone, 8310 I shouldn't have assumed that it has Wi-Fi support. Found out from a link that it doesn't support Wi-Fi nor 3G

Can I still return this?
    10-16-07 12:57 PM
    Don't despair. I've had mine for a week, and I'm quite impressed.

From what I've read WiFI will not speed up your Web browsing. You may not be able to use Skype etc. ; but if all you want is access to the Web, the Edge network works just fine. There's a video speed test at BlackBerry 8320 Wi-Fi vs. BlackBerry 8300 EDGE speed test | The Boy Genius Report.

Starbuck has given you all the right info. To recap:

It doesn't cost anything to activate the GPS.

The GPS will work with BB Maps and Google Maps to tell you where you are, and show you how to get to your destination.

If you want a woman's voice telling you where to turn every step of the way, you would need to susbscribe to Telenav--$9.95/month or something like that. There is no contract. You can subscribe and unsubscribe whenever you want. Because downloading maps can use up your data plan in a hurry, it might not be a bad idea to pay a bit extra for an unlimited data plan. If you've got 25MB or more monthly, and you'll only be using Telenav occasionally, that may not be necessary. Telenav works great. I was not aware of the TomTom option (thanks Starbuck), but I'll surely be looking into that.

As far as syncing with Outlook goes: I sync wirelessly with Bluetooth. I love that I could simply keep my BB in my pocket, click the Desktop Manager icon on my laptop and sync my contacts, tasks, schedule and emails. Of course, you could always connect through USB.

Don't know anything about Unix, sorry.
    Last edited by nickbalo; 10-16-07 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Want to add info
    10-16-07 04:41 PM
    so is their going to be update for the 8300 for some of the cool features like the 8310 ? my 8300 is just over 30 days old and im thinking i should have waited for the 8310.
    10-16-07 11:43 PM
    you can use telenav with the 8300. you will just have to purchase a seperate bluetooth GPS receiver with it. see link for receiver.

Accessory Details - Wireless from AT&T, formerly Cingular
    10-16-07 11:55 PM
    How do you like the tilt over the Blackberry?
    I prefer the 8310 over the Tilt myself. The Tilt runs a little slow and it is a lot heavier than the curve. But for the people that need to have WM 6 and all the application that you can put on it, it is a good phone. It's like a Ferrari or Lamborghini. It�s Personal preference.
    10-17-07 03:29 AM
    Don't despair. I've had mine for a week, and I'm quite impressed.

From what I've read WiFI will not speed up your Web browsing. You may not be able to use Skype etc. ; but if all you want is access to the Web, the Edge network works just fine. There's a video speed test at h t t p www dot boygeniusreport dot com/2007/09/23/blackberry-8320-wi-fi-vs-blackberry-8300-edge-speed-test/]BlackBerry 8320 Wi-Fi vs. BlackBerry 8300 EDGE speed test | The Boy Genius Report.
    What is edge network? Is it a company that provides web access? The reason I wanted wifi is because I wanted to use my 8310 to browse via my existing wifi network at home and not for speed. So am I correct that 8310 does not have Wifi capability?

Starbuck has given you all the right info. To recap:

It doesn't cost anything to activate the GPS.
    Great!

The GPS will work with BB Maps and Google Maps to tell you where you are, and show you how to get to your destination.
    BAM! That clears up all my questions earlier.

If you want a woman's voice telling you where to turn every step of the way, you would need to susbscribe to Telenav--$9.95/month or something like that. There is no contract. You can subscribe and unsubscribe whenever you want.
    This clears up my other question as well!

Because downloading maps can use up your data plan in a hurry, it might not be a bad idea to pay a bit extra for an unlimited data plan. If you've got 25MB or more monthly, and you'll only be using Telenav occasionally, that may not be necessary. Telenav works great. I was not aware of the TomTom option (thanks Starbuck), but I'll surely be looking into that.
    Is the data plan a dependency for downloading maps?

As far as syncing with Outlook goes: I sync wirelessly with Bluetooth. I love that I could simply keep my BB in my pocket, click the Desktop Manager icon on my laptop and sync my contacts, tasks, schedule and emails. Of course, you could always connect through USB.

Don't know anything about Unix, sorry.
    Ok, that's cool! For UNIX, I have to find someone who has written a POP3 client for BB. Hopefully!
    10-17-07 02:36 PM
    You do need a data plan in order to download maps, surf the Web, receive emails etc. If you haven't got a data plan, or if you have data plan that's limited to just a few MB/month, you'll end up paying through your teeth--with Rogers $7/MB. If you're using your BB, clearly you've already got some kind of plan--8MB/mth, 25MB/mth, 200MB/mth.... This allowance encompasses everything--Web content, email, Google maps, GPS data...

To be honest, I don't know a whole lot about Edge networks--some kind of protocol, I suppose. If your browsing the Web with your Curve--and you haven't got the 8320, which is the only model equipped with Wifi--then your likely using an Edge network.
    10-18-07 11:31 PM
    i just joined but my cd is broken, can someone copy some for me? i wanna use the usb but itz not working
    10-24-07 06:37 AM
    the 8310 is awesome. It works well with both google maps and bbmaps. The builtin GPS is a plus as you don't have an extra device to worry about. As far as the lack of wifi, you either get the GPS built in or the wifi built in (the tmobile 8320 has wifi but no gps). So really its a coin toss. You couldn't do too much with the built in wifi anyways other than browse the web or use an ssh client.

The unlimited Data plan is a must. ALL of the map programs access the net to download maps (which is good, that way they can be more up to date and take less space on your phone). There are some offerings out there (copilot) that provide the maps on a storage device but those go out of date quickly... I think the providers should dump the other data plans and offer a cheaper unlimited data plan.

If your email is handled by a non exchange server you should be able to set up pop or imap connections to receive your email. If you can, Imap would be the closest to exchange (delete the email from your phone, its gone from the server).

Upgraded my 8300 yesterday and I already love the 8310. Just need to find more themes.
    10-24-07 07:45 AM
    The unlimited Data plan is a must.
    i was looking at the plans on the att page and only saw MEdia Max unlimited for $39.99. would this be the right plan?
    10-24-07 11:11 AM
    to clarify:
    EDGE is enhance data over GPRS or some acronym, it is a faster version of the GPRS protocol that ATT offers (not 3 G, but like 2.5 G, and beyond sprint's ev-do rev.a cards i think it's the fastest available right now in US unless someone was busy releasing utms or hsdpa or something recently while i was having a job and working and not following wireless carrier's data rate upgrade technology news). so anyway, if you have the unlimited data plan, you have the higer speed edge data transfer.

also they have done speed tests with the wifi connection and edge for web pages, and because of the way the blackberry browser is designed, there isn't a very big speed boost between edge and wifi, so i wouldn't worry about not getting the wifi version (it's mainly to use t-mobile's hot spot @ home service where for 9.99 a month you can pay tmobile to let you use the device you just purchased to it's full extent and make voip calls that don't use your cell minutes. i'm sure there is or will soon be some kind of hack so that you can do this with out paying t-mobile 9.99 a month, but either way, unless you have your blackberry duct taped to your head all day, probably not worth it).

i didn't know about the tom-tom thing. might have to get that. thanks for the tip whoever wrote that!

if i am mistaken about some specifics, i apologize, but i think i have a pretty good grasp and i thought i'd chime in to clear some of the questions up.
    -mike
    10-24-07 01:56 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD