Just purchased a Blackberry Curve 8900 about an hour ago, charging the bad boy up right now and I am overwhelmed with the amount of information on this site (and the insane amount of features on the blackberry itself).

Anyways, I just wanted to see what the best thing to do first would be as far as updating the OS software, essential tweaks, and any helpful software I should download ect. that can get me started on the path to becoming a full on crackberry addict.
    08-28-09 07:37 PM
    Good stuff! I've had mine 4 weeks. Are you new to Blackberry or just the 8900?

I would recommend reading the 101 Lecture Series. Also search and browse the site.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-09 07:47 PM
    you'll love ur new bb, i would start here. Enjoy http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series
    08-28-09 07:47 PM
    Welcome, your life will completely change from now on. Lol....play around with your phone to get used to it and find how it works, do lots of reading on here too.....u'll be an addict in no time
    08-28-09 07:52 PM
    Entirely new to Blackberry, have been holding out for a while...was going to wait even longer for the new Bold coming out but I finally broke down today, I needed a new toy.

Thanks for the links, have been browsing the forums and I noticed that my OS is still .231 so I guess first thing I'll do is update that to .250!
    08-28-09 07:53 PM
    Also let me add don't worry about upgrading the the OS unless you have a good reason to.

I started reading this site months before I got my 8900.

I see you are a newbie. Welcome to the addiction!
    08-28-09 07:55 PM
    Entirely new to Blackberry, have been holding out for a while...was going to wait even longer for the new Bold coming out but I finally broke down today, I needed a new toy.

Thanks for the links, have been browsing the forums and I noticed that my OS is still .231 so I guess first thing I'll do is update that to .250!
    i would not recommed updating ur OS right now, play with ur phone, get use to it and give it some time. keep reading this site, will help u a lot
    08-28-09 08:00 PM
    Awesome, thanks for the warm welcome. First things first, get a nice case for it to prepare it for its inevitable first drop D:
    08-28-09 08:09 PM

Let me ask you this. What reason do you have for wanting to upgrade the OS? Version .231 is the official OS for AT&T. Mine works just fine as is. I wouldn't risk doing an OS upgrade for no apparent reason.
    But that's just me.
    08-28-09 08:10 PM
    Yeah I was hoping to get some feedback on that, I was reading the posts on the new OS and people were talking about it being faster, better, ect.

Just thought it'd be natural to upgrade OS because it usually entails fixing old glitches, ect and making it run better in general - but I don't know much about the OS on my phone now so I guess I should just play around and get more acquainted before I delve into any OS upgrading.

I was just curious as to how crucial it was, because I know on some devices upgrading the OS can be the difference between night and day.
    08-28-09 08:25 PM
    welcome to crackberry, this site is alot of fun..have had my bb 8900 for about 6 weeks and this phone is awesome and tons of memory.. , i have the same OS you have now and its just fine..but im to chicken to mess with it. anyways, welcome and enjoy
    08-28-09 09:50 PM
    Also the more you read you'll see a lot of people end up downgrading! From my understanding the people that seem to get the most benefit are the ones upgrading from a .1xx OS.

As for a case, I got the Seido Innocase II along with a screen protector. And yes I have dropped mine. Just once but it was traumatic! Case has two tiny scuff marks but my 8900 is good as new!

08-28-09 09:51 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

As mentioned, the 101 lectures are where you want to start - I have a link to them in my signature along with other links to answers for commonly asked questions. I would not recommend upgrading your device until you have become familiar with it. Once you are completely comfortable with your device, review the upgrade procedure and only proceed with it once you are completely familiar with the procedure as well.
    08-28-09 10:32 PM
    I to held out for a long time never imagining what all the buzz was about. Now I can't put it down. Enjoy enjoy. This site is the most enjoyable and informative site around

08-28-09 10:58 PM
    Enjoy & welcome! Tons of great threads and people to learn from here. Have a great time!

08-28-09 11:01 PM
    Welcome buddy!
    08-28-09 11:06 PM
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone...already checking the site everyday haha
    08-29-09 11:39 PM
    Lol wait till your checking it every 30 minutes.

Welcome to the addiction!

08-29-09 11:44 PM
    Welcome! The forums and 101 lectures are fantastic. If you run into a problem check those out. The couple problems I had were fixed within 30 minutes after finding the answer on here.
    08-30-09 12:38 PM
    What posts #18 and #19 said!

Also I'd suggest not loading up with 3rd party apps too soon. Some can cause problems.

Some good ones I have installed on mine are UberTwitter / Facebook / Google Maps. And of course the Crackberry.com launcher.
    08-30-09 12:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD