Ah Bollocks, I've only gone and dropped my 8900 down the toilet, luckily it was on the way in so the water was clean but i can't stop thinking what a clumsy fool i am.

I guess it was underwater for for about 5 seconds or so, i took the Batt, sim & media card straight out, dried off as best i could and its currently doing the bag of rice thing.

God i'm pissed off with myself, fingers crossed it will be ok after a couple of days but even if it does come back from the dead in the back of my mind i will always be waiting for it to start playing up.

I did a full back-up only yesterday so i suppose that's something positive, no i don't have insurance i never have, but then i have never dropped a phone down the loo before.
    09-12-09 06:22 PM
    Good call on removing the battery and sim card as soon as possible. Many recommend leaving it in the rice for 24 to 48 hours. Avoid putting the battery in before you are pretty confident that the phone has dried out, because any moisture could further damage the board once it receives power to it.

Good luck with it, I hope the rice trick works for you as well.
    09-12-09 06:25 PM
    Keep it in the rice for 3 days.... Good Luck!!!
    09-12-09 06:33 PM
    Go to the general forum and read the thread there, the exact same thing happened to someone. You should really read the advice there as the rice trick is just a feel good measure and doesn't actually work.

Yes, some people get lucky, but it is in the end just luck.
    09-12-09 06:34 PM
    The rice doesn't work? My husband has used that trick on 2 phones and both were successfully recovered.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-09 07:27 PM
    At least you acte quickly and dried it...you should've use a blow dryer it wrks better and faster but I think your 8900 will make it!
    09-12-09 07:31 PM
    Please avoid using a blow dryer as the heat will compound your problem more by introducing heat into the equation. Heat and water are both bad for electronics.
    09-12-09 07:35 PM
    At least you acte quickly and dried it...you should've use a blow dryer it wrks better and faster but I think your 8900 will make it!
    WHAT!!!! (Not a question... more like Yelling!!!)

DO NOT USE A DRYER!!!!!!
    09-12-09 07:45 PM
    You should have put it in a bowl of rubbing alcohol before the rice trick. The alcohol separates the water from the circuits and pushes the water out of the phone.
    09-12-09 07:48 PM
    The rice doesn't work? My husband has used that trick on 2 phones and both were successfully recovered.

I work for an electronics manufacturing company, and the only reason it worked is because you got lucky. Period.

The rice trick is folklore, I could write a few screens worth of information as to what is truly going on when you do that and why is may or may not work, but that ain't gonna happen.

Take it from me and any number of electrical engineers I know, the rice trick is folklore.
    09-12-09 08:23 PM
    I work for an electronics manufacturing company, and the only reason it worked is because you got lucky. Period.

The rice trick is folklore, I could write a few screens worth of information as to what is truly going on when you do that and why is may or may not work, but that ain't gonna happen.

Take it from me and any number of electrical engineers I know, the rice trick is folklore.
    I believe it's folklore. The alcohol trick has more of a chance to recover a electronic than the rice trick. People think the rice absorbers the water. But in reality, the corrosion kills the device, not the water itself.
    09-12-09 08:31 PM
    Aw snap!

09-12-09 08:31 PM
    I believe it's folklore. The alcohol trick has more of a chance to recover a electronic than the rice trick. People think the rice absorbers the water. But in reality, the corrosion kills the device, not the water itself.
    Not really the corrosion, even in salt water the corrosion takes quite a long time. The real problem is mineral deposits bridging the gabs between the leads on the IC's, that is instant death.
    09-12-09 08:51 PM
    I am terribly sorry to hear about your phone. The rice trick worked for me. Can I add that I enjoyed a British spin on the whole "wet phone" scenario? Especially the part about the loo...
    09-12-09 08:53 PM
    I dropped 7100T in the toilet and didn't do the rice trick and it was fine. Damn remember that stupid bb? LoloL. Used to wear it on my hip trying to act cool. Back then, there was no bbm5. Life was simple in 2005.

09-12-09 08:58 PM
    when i had a blackberry pearl a few years ago, it fell straight into the toilet and was in there about 10 seconds because i didnt notice it fell off the top of the toilet! i took the battery out and shook out all the water and used a blowdryer on it. i dried it all night. it worked the next day fine. i didnt do anything with rice! but that phone was not as cool as these phones so i dunno.
    09-12-09 09:09 PM
    I am terribly sorry to hear about your phone. The rice trick worked for me. Can I add that I enjoyed a British spin on the whole "wet phone" scenario? Especially the part about the loo...
    It wasn't a "spin". He's from the UK....
    09-12-09 10:06 PM
    Just a little tip from someone who has been there and done that-TWICE!! Don't take your phone into the bathroom. If you are in a public restroom, when walking in make a concerted effort to know exactly where your phone is and place it where it can't possibly fall into the toilet.

09-12-09 10:11 PM
    Thanks everyone for all of your advise, i'm feeling the love from the CB nation.

Really tempted to turn on the handset and see what the damage is, but will I will resist for a few more days.

Will keep you updated on the outcome.
    09-13-09 04:30 AM
    No one has asked so I will however being a CB I think I know the answer.

Did you finish going to the bathroom before "CPR'ing" it?

Of course I mean this in a lighthearted manner. So no "flames" please! Boy do they still use that phase? LOL

Keep us posted and good luck!
    09-13-09 10:39 AM
    Lol @ cbwannabe.

So I couldn't wait any longer and powered up the phone, I figured that if it was fried then I would just have to make a trip to the shops for a new handset.

I had it in the bag of rice overnight next to the heating boiler and outside in the open air all day.

The Phone powered up as normal and every function, speaker,keyboard, screen,DM back-up absolutley every function still works perfect.

So the question is do you think I've been really lucky or will the phone screw up in the future due to corrossion or something?
    Sure am glad to get my baby back :-)))))))

Last edited by d-tech007; 09-13-09 at 02:37 PM.
    09-13-09 02:21 PM
    Good Luck. Hope your BB recovers. I had a success story with the rice and mine was fully submerged too. I left it in rice for 3 days.
    09-13-09 02:54 PM
    Good Luck. Hope your BB recovers. I had a success story with the rice and mine was fully submerged too. I left it in rice for 3 days.
    How did the phone hold-up long term afterwards? Did you have any lasting problems?
    09-13-09 02:56 PM

The Phone powered up as normal and every function, speaker,keyboard, screen,DM back-up absolutley every function still works perfect.

So the question is do you think I've been really lucky or will the phone screw up in the future due to corrossion or something?
    Sure am glad to get my baby back :-)))))))

Great news! Based on the responses from people that its happened to, I'm guessing you're good to go! I don't think I read any responses where it worked but only temporarily.

Good luck and thanks for posting your story.
    09-13-09 03:05 PM
    Great news! Based on the responses from people that its happened to, I'm guessing you're good to go! I don't think I read any responses where it worked but only temporarily.
    Thanks, i sure do hope so, fingers crossed.
    09-13-09 03:50 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD