It seems cool to use, I would like to try it out

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 01:49 PM
    me too.. i can't wait for onyx or driftwood to come out to test out the tp.
    seems like better response than anticipated

08-11-09 10:34 PM
    I have seen some positive comments about the trackpad but no actual reasons supporting them, aside from one fine chap who said you don't get the sudden stops.

WHY is the trackpad better?
    Last edited by Brnkvc; 08-13-09 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo
    08-13-09 01:12 PM
    From technical point of view, trackpad is not new for mobile, you can find many wm-phone integrated with trackpad, and the practice proves thackpad is not comparable with trackball in efficient and accurate, only advantage of trackpad is the longer lifetime.
    08-13-09 08:12 PM
    I think the trackpad is gonna become the standard for all future blackberries.

Think about it, we started with the trackwheel, and then they introduced the trackball and that replaced everything. If they weren't going to replace the trackball with the trackpad then why spend money/research/investment on creating it and releasing it at all?

Plus, I heard that the RIM TrackPad is far superior to those currently on other mobile devices. You can't compare!
    08-13-09 09:52 PM
    I have had the 8520 for about 2 weeks, and I love the track pad. In my opinion it is far better than the track ball.
    08-13-09 10:05 PM
    I went walmart, they have 8520. I played with it and the real demo (not dummy phone). I realized that 8520 has trackpad (touchpad). I love it and thinking it is solve problem from trackballs. 8520 is comb of 8900 and 8300 features. 8520's design looks great than 83XX series.

I wish that 8900 had trackpad aka touchpad instead of trackball (I hate that)..
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 08-13-09 at 10:39 PM.
    08-13-09 10:37 PM
    Very unlikely. Trackballs are vastly more reliable and provide more accuracy. In fact, if the trackpad isn't popular on the 8520, we may never see it again.
    People said the same thing about the trackwheel...I remember naysayers saying a trackball would never work with the setup/layout of blackberry's and that the pearl will fail becaue of it and now look.

The trackwheel is ancient history and now trackballs rule blackberry. Wait till the Onyx ships with a trackpad. It will easily make the trackball obsolete.

So then, not only do the kids who bought curve 8520's rock the trackpad, but also the heavy Onyx users who are getting probably the next flagship device. Add in a new touch screen phone in the storm 2 and most likely the trackball is finished.

It will end up next to the beloved trackwheel as a piece of blackberry history And even I have tried how it is. Takes a while to get used to, but it is definitely better than the trackball.
    08-14-09 06:17 AM
    Touch-sensitive mechanisms like the Touchpad or the Touchscreen are just the normal evolution of smartphones.I don't think the full QWERTY keyboard will disappear completely though.

08-14-09 07:57 AM
    Touch-sensitive mechanisms like the Touchpad or the Touchscreen are just the normal evolution of smartphones.I don't think the full QWERTY keyboard will disappear completely though.

That depends on what you think is the natural progression of the keyboard.
    I'd say keyboard's become obsolete the day voice-to-print becomes standard. You never have to use your hands to write anything down. You just say what you want on emails, forums, word documents etc. and the computer writes everything down for you.
    08-14-09 08:14 AM
    I'm a fan of the new trackpad. Imho it's BS to say it's less accurate. On the contrary, for me it's actually *more* accurate. With a trackball I often scroll up or down while pressing it. This doesn't occur with the trackpad. I got used to the trackpad within a few hours and now I can't wait 'till I get the new Onyx samples for testing. That sounds like my ultimate Berry: 3G, size of my 8900 and a trackpad.
    08-14-09 08:46 AM

Yes, I do agree with this about the kyb qwerty wont disappear.

8520's trackpad (touchpad) is the concept of ipod classic's touchwheel.
    08-14-09 11:13 AM
    I have had the 8520 for about 2 weeks, and I love the track pad. In my opinion it is far better than the track ball.
    I couldn't agree more. After about 2 weeks of owning my 8520, I couldn't see mysrlf going back to a trackball. I haven't had any problems with accuracy or efficiency like the naysayers keep going on about.

08-14-09 01:11 PM
    I'm sure the pad will hold up to much abuse. The Tour with a trackpad would have been interesting. Congrats guys. I'm trying to get my friend to get this on t-mobile.
    08-15-09 02:27 PM
    That depends on what you think is the natural progression of the keyboard.
    I'd say keyboard's become obsolete the day voice-to-print becomes standard. You never have to use your hands to write anything down. You just say what you want on emails, forums, word documents etc. and the computer writes everything down for you.
    I can imagine "writing" my wife a dirty "message" at work or at the grocery store..

Speaking out-loud as the phone turns speech to text.. uhh yeah.. Not going to happen.. LOL not for just that reason, but in many reasons where speech is just not an option. The keyboard will NEVER become obsolete.

And I as well think a big +1 for the trackpad.
    08-15-09 02:35 PM
    When I tried it in the store it sucked. It is very nice and acurate. No problems with it at all.

08-15-09 05:05 PM
    When I tried it in the store it sucked. It is very nice and acurate. No problems with it at all.

What? Does this mean you like it, or don't like it?

08-15-09 11:28 PM
    Listen, the trackpad is great. It feels natural and is very accurate. It doesn't get dirt and stop working till you clean it etc...

People said the trackwheel couldn't be replaced since so many devices had it etc... Soon, you will have the release of the Onyx and Storm 2 which will effectively end trackball dominance on the new flagship devices. One has trackpad and the other is touch. Add to the fact that the gemini 8520 will take off pretty soon and replace the 83-series curve and the trackball will end up in the RIM graveyard near the trackwheel.
    08-15-09 11:35 PM
    trackpad its an advantage surfing internet. easy navigation
    08-17-09 08:28 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD