10-08-09 01:49 AM
34 12
tools
    Actually, I have wished for this from day one since I got my first BIS plan. I want it to work like my PC, I "do my email" when I want.

Push email is nice but, much as I love BlackBerrys, I really wish tht I was in control of my emails and not the device.
    What am I missing here? You do have control over your BB emails, just like controlling your emails on your PC using message rules.
    10-07-09 02:34 PM
    What am I missing here? You do have control over your BB emails, just like controlling your emails on your PC using message rules.
    I don't think that you are missing anything. I simply prefer to work so that I go and get my message when I want them. I put up with the way that BlackBerrys handle email because I think that the BlackBerry is the best phone on the market.

If I could change the way Blackberrys deliver emails, I would do this.

As user settable options from the phone:
    - continual stream (as we have today)
    - none so I am not disturbed by emails all the time
    - full manual. pretty much the same as above.
    - user settable timed (1, 5, 10, 20, 30, whatever minute intervals)

Clearly it is possible to fiddle with Profiles and other work arounds but I just think that RIM should offer options in this (and loads of other areas).

It is purely a personal preference, nothing more.
    10-07-09 02:54 PM
    I don't think that you are missing anything. I simply prefer to work so that I go and get my message when I want them. I put up with the way that BlackBerrys handle email because I think that the BlackBerry is the best phone on the market.

If I could change the way Blackberrys deliver emails, I would do this.

As user settable options from the phone:
    - continual stream (as we have today)
    - none so I am not disturbed by emails all the time
    - full manual. pretty much the same as above.
    - user settable timed (1, 5, 10, 20, 30, whatever minute intervals)

Clearly it is possible to fiddle with Profiles and other work arounds but I just think that RIM should offer options in this (and loads of other areas).

It is purely a personal preference, nothing more.

You can do this already with BIS setting, not Profile. Did you see my earlier reply to this post. You use BIS filters/message-rules to control the flow of emails to your BB. What's still missing is your time-control, which I want also.
    10-07-09 02:59 PM
    Will that also block bb messenger? Or just your incoming email set through aol?
    10-07-09 07:11 PM
    I don't know about mulitple addresses by choice. First your messages are in different accounts. Your have to check them individually or consolidate into one account. Second, you only have control over email adddresses and expect the sender to send to the right address per your preference.
    This isn't really that complicated. I've been doing this for around 3 years now and I've never had an issue.

My business card carries my primary email address. If you are a friend or a business associate, you are going to get my main email address. After that, if you turn into a pest, I go into my BIS settings and flag your email address and thereafter your emails aren't forwarded to my BlackBerry anymore. I have 3 people I've had to do this to and all because they were sending "joke emails" several times a day. Not interested in that stuff. This is for business, important friends, banking and government emails.

If I go into BestBuy or the Apple Computer store or sign up on line for a service or need to put an email address down on some sort of subscription service, then I use my secondary email address. Anyone whom I might be interested in hearing from but don't think they'll ever have any essential email for me gets this address.

Never yet had a case where I've had to tell anyone to stop using address "A" and start using address "B."

Pretty common sense stuff. I actually have a 3rd email address too. It's a phony. If someone I know wants my email address and I know I have no interest in ever hearing from them, they get that address.

I also have two phone numbers. My exceptionally cool cell phone number which is my primary number. And then I also have a number I give to people I know I never need to hear from again.

I'll share that second number with everyone. It's ... 310.495.5412. Go ahead and call me at that number anytime if you want. LOL.
    10-07-09 08:05 PM
    The main way I handle it is through the:
    *Security Options
    *Firewall
    *in here you can check the BIS box, THEN BELOW I CHECK THE "EXCEPT MESSAGES FROM CONTACTS" AND "SPECIFIC ADDRESSES"

This has really helped me. Keeps basically all spam out and people that send me jokes and things know to send to my gmail account.

This has blocked like 875 emails in the last 3 weeks.
    10-07-09 08:16 PM
    Actually, I have wished for this from day one since I got my first BIS plan. I want it to work like my PC, I "do my email" when I want.

Push email is nice but, much as I love BlackBerrys, I really wish tht I was in control of my emails and not the device.
    Why not just create different profiles that fit your needs?

I have a couple that I use a lot.

The first is just silent. I actually use this quite often. If I'm somewhere where it would be inappropriate for ringers, I set the phone to that profile which I call "silent." Everything still works, I just have all the ringer settings set to mute. I use this one a LOT at the library. I live across the street from the library and I love libraries in general so I spend a lot of time there. Always leave my BlackBerry on and with the slient setting, if a call or a messge comes in, I usually have my BB out on the table and can see it without any audio distractions to other people.

Another profile I use from time to time is "phone only." In that setting, all the data ringers are all set to silent but the phone will ring if I have an incoming call. I use this for meetings where I might be expecting an important call that I have to take but at the same time am not looking to be disturbed with ongoing data-alert signals.

And a third profile I have is "data only" where emails and text messages sound when they come in but the phone is silent if an incoming call comes in. This is mostly for informal meetings where I might be interested in seeing an important email and it would not be considered rude for me to look at it during the meeting but at the same time it would not be acceptable to take a call. Again mostly for e-z going informal meeting environments.

The genius of BlackBerry. You can make this little device do almost anything you want.
    10-07-09 08:22 PM
    Hello - I'm new to this forum, so please don't shout at me if I get things wrong.

I too, found the constantly incoming email to be irritating and wanted to restrict it to arriving only when I requested it. I phoined the (Orange) helpline and they explained how to do it.
    1 Press BB button and select the "options" logo
    2. select "mobile network"
    3. highlight "data services"
    this can now be toggled "on" or "off" whenever you wish to receive your emails

Hope this helps - but please don't hang me if if doesn't

SJ
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

10-08-09 01:48 AM
    hi guys dis iz my first forum

10-08-09 01:49 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD